Multi-tools: Leatherman et al

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello all,

I guess this topic is a bit of a crossover between the existing Knives and Tools threads, but this part of the forum is fairly sparsely populated so I figure another thread won't hurt :cheesy:

I've being using a Leatherman for a few years now. I haven't tried any of the alternatives but I've never had a reason to. In my job (IT systems administrator on an 80 acre site) I often find myself away from my desk but in need of a screwdriver or pliers. This is where my Leatherman often saves the day (or rather, saves me a trip back to the office to grab the toolkit). I would laugh heartily at anyone that suggests a multi-tool can replace a 'proper' tool kit- in my mind this isn't what they are meant for anyway. For me at least, its more of a case of having a few basic tools always on hand for those unexpected tasks that come up.

Presently, I own a Blast: Leatherman multi-tools: Blast
These are a great entry level tool and would suit most people in most situations. Has served me well for the last 5 years.

I recently started looking for one to buy my brother-in-law for Christmas. As tends to happen, shopping for someone else ended up triggering shopping for myself :laugh: and I'm now considering buying either a Wave Leatherman multi-tools: Wave or a Charge AL Leatherman multi-tools: Charge AL Both have a few key features that my Blast lacks (removable screwdriver bits, knives that can be opened without opening the whole unit). The Charge costs a bit more but has a better quality primary blade, comes with more bits as standard, and has the hard-anodized aluminium alloy handles. I'm leaning towards the AL

Enough about me though- any other multi-tool users/fans in P&C land?

I've just bought a replacement Wave to replace the Skeletool I lost out on a field trip.
Didn't like the skeletool. Very uncomfortable to grip if you needed to use the pliers for anything.

I would advise buying from Amazon if you can. My Wave cost $55 there, compared to $160 in a local shop.

Oh, and use www.camelcamelcamel.com to compare the historical price on Amazon. I try to make sure I never pay more than the historical average.

Last edited:
Have got a now discontinued Fuse which, unlike many Swiss army knives, I've had for years. Maybe it's the size and weight, don't know, but for some reason I always know where it is. A sign that it's a keeper is that my dog has given it the seal of approval by chewing the leather case. Thankfully, unlike a very nice set of headphones, his approval didn't go all the way to wholesale destruction.

I have had a Wave for years. Had the nylon pouch break and lost the tool on the motorbike ride to work one day so had to replace it with a Wave in a leather sheath. Recently bought myself a Charge TTi (same knife, just better primary blade and Titanium scales woo!) in the premium sheath just because I could. Also bought my Wife the Wingman so she could have one in her bag. I have an account with the importer so I paid wholeslae anyway.

I am a sound guy by trade so the tool and a couple of torches live on my belt (practically) whenever I am awake. By far the most common brand is Leatherman. The Gerber tools I have seen and used aren't in the same league as the Wave or Charge. But it could just be the tools I have seen.

James

Good to see a few people appreciating the value of a good multi-tool.

eggbert- agreed on local pricing. I don't mind buying local if its only $20 or so more expensive, but when the overseas shipped price is half (or less) the local price the choice is clear.
Pjotr- the Fuse is a good unit. I've not owned one but I know a few people that have and they've been very happy with them.
Anakist- the Charge TTi is a very nice unit, and if I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I like that you've given your wife one- I was planning on passing on my Blast to my wife actually.
glenos- The Gerber have always been good value, but I've heard mixed reviews on the quality. It sounds like they can be very hit and miss- some models are great while others miss the mark. I have to admit that they make some cool 'kits' though: Walking Dead fans will probably be familiar with this, for example: Gerber 30-000601 Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit - Amazon.com

Well, ended up ordering the Charge TTi. Price difference wasn't that much more, and I figure this is something I want to last for a long time so I might as well get the top of the line one :D
Was able to get the bit-extender cheaply via amazon.com too, so it will be a fairly complete kit.

Based on this thread P&C has assisted me with some Xmas gift shopping. I've purchased a couple of Leatherman Charge units with all of the extra bits and bobs for a couple of my boys (20 years and 18 years; not young 'uns) as they don't have much in the way of tools or utilitarian objects. Hopefully they'll still be functional for their kids!
Thanks P&C for getting my Xmas shopping started!!

i have a leatherman micra. works a lot better than my swiss army knife as the scissor on the micra is actually usable.

As it turns out, I managed to somehow justify buying two Leathermans. One for work, one for home. At least that's how I rationalise it :cheesy:
Work stuff is more IT/tech tasks, and at home its general DIY duties.

Here they are: the Charge TTi and the Supertool 300:

A couple of thoughts about these:

• The Charge TTi is almost TOO nice looking, to the point where I don't want to use it for fear of marking it. It's a great tool though, and combined with the bit driver extension and extra hex bits (all of which fit in the one belt sheath) I effectively have around 20 different screwdrivers on my belt. Combined with the other tools on the Charge, I rarely need to reach for the 'proper' toolkit.
  • The Supertool 300 is one of the biggest, toughest tools that Leatherman make, and it shows. In DE razor terms, it has plenty of 'heft'. However, I find it is still really comfortable to wear on a belt (some people say that it is too large / heavy for this). I'm not a big guy, and if it is fine for me I'd imagine it would be fine for most people
  • Local pricing on these is really expensive compared to overseas, so I ended up buying both via US sellers on ebay. No problems with customs- they opened the order with the Charge TTi but didn't remove anything, and didn't even touch the Supertool order.
  • If you don't mind the idea of a large-ish multi-tool, the Supertool 300 is the pick of the bunch in terms of 'bang for buck' I got mine for $65 shipped, brand new with a really nice leather sheath.

Now a proud owner of a leatherman sidekick, excellent tool to carrying about. but i do wish i had bought a crunch or wave.

I am the proud owner of a s/s Seaman's Clasp Knife, issued to me on join-up in 1967.
It has everything I require; cutting blade, bottle opener, screwdriver and Marlin spike (NEVER USED) :LOL:

They are bees knees I reckon, especially (naturally) if you are sailing. Marlin spike I have used constantly (although I call mine a Boatswain's Knife) to undo knots and shackles!

Got a wingman and the oldskool charge XTI, which is now almost a collectable.

But I would like a Skelletool Cx and maybe a signal, and the 2x the new Skeeletool rescues for the cars, along with Petzl E-lights for each.... Ahh the never ending list of sharpstuff/outdoor toys...

For pimping & spares your Leathermans check out Texas tool crafters. http://txtoolcrafters.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Leatherman Supertool that my wife bought for me one year. I use it around the house a lot for little odd jobs, fixing retic, unjamming the paper shredder (bitch of a thing when it jams).

I haven't been brave enough to shave with it, but I think I could have done when it was brand new, the blade was incredibly sharp! Still more than sharp enough, but it has lost that terrifying sharpness that saw you just touch it to bindings and have them just fly apart.