My 800th SR Shave - A Six-Pass Shave

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
This morning was my 800th SR shave. I felt good and had the time to see if I could shave until I could see no more cut whiskers in my lather.

I normally now do not shave ATG except for a fool's pass. If I do a full ATG pass, I have nothing to shave 24 hours later. My normal shaving progression is WTG, XTG+fool's pass and then a final XTG only in the opposite direction.

This morning I wanted to see how many XTG passes it would brake before I could see no cut whiskers in my lather. I use a wet sponge to wipe my blade while shaving so that I can see the cut whiskers.

Using my "Saturday" Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70 and Proraso green cream face lathered, I performed my normal three-pass shave; WTG, XTG+fool's pass and XTG in opposite direction. Cut whiskers where observed in the lather with all three passes.

I then did another XTG pass in the same direction as the first. Some cut whiskers were still visible in the lather. A fifth XTG pass was then made in the other direction. This occasionally produced a cut whisker in the lather.

My final (sixth) pass was XTG in the same direction as the first. No cut whiskers were found!

After these six passes, I had no skin damage and my aftershave splash of Wahl Bay Rum mixed with Dickenson witch hazel showed me that I had no skin irritation.

What a shave and I loved every minute of it.

Well done!! I always have the greatest admiration for those who are able (and willing) to keep such precise count of that which interests them.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Well done!! I always have the greatest admiration for those who are able (and willing) to keep such precise count of that which interests them.

Glad you enjoyed it.
The counting was easy. I remember the date of my first and have shaved daily since then.

The more difficult part was developing my straight razor shaving technique while also learning to hone at the same time. This is not recommended.

The more difficult part was developing my straight razor shaving technique while also learning to hone at the same time. This is not recommended.

That's correct. I tried it this way, and failed miserably on both fronts. Led me to nearly three years without shaving with a SR.

800 Shaves !! I have just clocked over my 200 th shave on the weekend. I have come a long way in those 200 and still a way to go yet but it's about the journey, not the destination. In that time I have built up my razor rotation to 11 (soon to be 12 as I have ordered a Proserpine Razor), have learnt to hone a little bit. It's still one of the dark arts, but getting there. I can set a bevel and keep my razors in a shave-able condition now. Haven't touched a DE razor now in over 3 months. Still getting caught out buying dud razors on E-bay. Some of them are absolute horror stories - there is a bit of an art to working out the condition of the razor from the photo. Or a bit of an art to hiding dodgy shit in photos when selling stuff on E-bay!
cheers
Andrew

Even now at over 800 SR shaves I am still refining my SR shaving technique. I have been told that at about 1,500 to 2,000 SR shaves, you have just about perfected your technique. To see if that's true, I'll just have to keep on SR shaving.

The counting was easy. I remember the date of my first and have shaved daily since then.

Yep that’s was my way also, hone to shave as no one was around to get honing done,
but bugger keeping count that stopped years ago, but daily shaving makes it easier.
now Wait till you get to 1000 shaves, celebrate and get cocky thinking you know what your doing, that’s when you cut yourself to remind you, we are always learning lol