My DIY razor and brush holder

Hello all,

JugV2 has given me the okay to post some pics of his completed stand. I'm still working out exactly how I'm going to send it to him- its a bit of an odd shape.
Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out (and I hope JugV2 is too!). There were some marks/imperfections in the wood that didn't sand out as well as I hoped, but I don't think it detracts too much from the end result.

From a structural point of view, this stand is better than my original one. I've used a fairly large screw to secure the two bits of wood (pre-drilled and countersunk even!) with a single nail to ensure it doesn't rotate (whereas my original stand just uses two nails- works, but a screw is better).

Anyhow, here's some pics (with my current rotation of gear):

IMG_20130123_182540.jpg

IMG_20130123_182550.jpg

IMG_20130123_182600.jpg

Very, very nice!

Thanks for the kind words all.

flat pack it. the screw holes are there, so its not like it will be out of alignment. might save a couple of bucks on postage.

I can remove the brass fixtures without issue (and this is the plan for postage) but I can't separate the two bits of wood since:

-There are nails involved
-The two coats of varnish provide a seal between the joins (deliberate, to ensure water doesn't get where it shouldn't).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I can remove the brass fixtures without issue (and this is the plan for postage) but I can't separate the two bits of wood since:

-There are nails involved
-The two coats of varnish provide a seal between the joins (deliberate, to ensure water doesn't get where it shouldn't).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Fair call with the nails, however, is it not possible to varnish the pieces separately? that way, your pieces are "waterproof" and it becomes easier to pack/post. just throwing the idea out there.

Fair call with the nails, however, is it not possible to varnish the pieces separately? that way, your pieces are "waterproof" and it becomes easier to pack/post. just throwing the idea out there.

It certainly is possible. Personally, I think I prefer to apply the varnish after the wood is joined though- that way you are more likely to get a good seal where the pieces of wood join.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind though, thanks. Will see how much postage is for this one.

mr626 kindly spent time and effort making me a razor stand but I had a bit of a hiatus from P&C for a while and never got around to posting the resulting bit of kit.

I find that this sits on my bathroom "allocated space" nicely. It holds my brush, razor and a bowl if I want.

I'm really impressed with it. I think every six months or so I might do a touch up with some stain or lacquer or something, but anyhoo pics below.

Top work mr626, thank you for this.

20130429_174535.jpg20130429_174442.jpg20130429_174446.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking piece of kit!

I like that Smoggie though! Looks like a big dense knot.

It's one of the Limited Edition Boars from 2011 - I also have the Badger.

In fact, I will do some pics of them both and post for you to have a look at.

Overpriced in my opinion but I got them second hand from minorci, a mate who doesn't post on here any more, and they were barely used.

yeah the knot is dense, no idea how dense - I think shaving.ie has them still listed if you want to look them up and see some stats.

That would be great! Every time I see one, they look so tight and scrubby. Pretty sure I saw a boar version go for $70 elsewhere recently. That's some serious coin. What's Semogue badger like?

Glad you liked it mate, looks great in there with all your other gear.