My First Custom SR - S.K. Collings & Co (aka Proserpine Razor Co)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
A few weeks ago I placed an order with Steve of S.K. Collings & Co for a custom SR. This will be my first custom SR and first Collings SR. My requirements were:

Spanish point, sharp and pointy - not muted.​
6/8 with thumb notch (no stabilisers).​
Half Hollow or more grind.​
Belly if felt needed.​
No jimps.​
No face markings or spine decoration.​
Little or no smile.​
Scales of Australian silver ash timber with classic profile.​
Steve found that the silver ash was prohibitively expensive to obtain so we settled on Bubinga timber.

The blade profile is now completed. There is still some more grinding to be done.

full

The edge and spine don't look parallel in the pic. That is just a photographic illusion.

Here is an example of the Bubinga timber. Not my blade or scales.

full

More to follow as it progresses.

I am getting rather excited about this SR.

Mine arrived (7/8") :love:, ordered in November
h0spIiDl.jpg
Hi. @Straight up, Steve does a lovely "job", I received my first (2) SR's for Christmas, both from Steve, one a Red Bellied Black the other in Bethlehem olive wood with our "Family Motto" engraved on to the blade, as I got the idea from you, so thanks Straight Up. I would like to "show" the razor's but unsure how to paste a photo onto the site? Cheers Les

I’m inspired. I was about to order a new Dovo Bismarck, but I’ve contacted Steve via his website and I’m going to order my first straight razor from him instead.
The value for money is there. He makes a top quality blade at a price that out competes the big brands.

The value for money is there. He makes a top quality blade at a price that out competes the big brands.
I’m planning on ordering a simple razor for my first, especially as I’m not sure I’ll persist with it.

A 6/8 full hollow blunted Spanish point. No etching. Simple wooden scales.

Is that a good choice for a newbie, but with appeal for long term use and room to grow as my technique improves?

I’m planning on ordering a simple razor for my first, especially as I’m not sure I’ll persist with it.

Is that a good choice for a newbie, but with appeal for long term use and room to grow as my technique improves?
I would suggest that you get a 6/8 Dutch (round) point, half hollow with timber scales. The Dutch point is a little more forgiving in use. A half-hollow is more stable than a full hollow making it easier to hone and shave with.

Once you master the basics of SR shaving (about a month of daily SR shaves) you can move on the trying other models of SR's. I bought about 60 SR's during my first two years of shaving with them. Have sold and given away about half of them.

You also need to consider if you want it with or without a stabiliser. Personally I would prefer with a stabiliser for my first SR. That teaches you to hone with one. It is easier to hone without a stabiliser but then you will have more trouble learning later.

Remind Steve that it will be your first SR and will need it very much shave-ready.

While you are waiting for your SR, put together a set of diamond pasted balsa strops. With those and maintaining it on the balsa strops, a truly shave-ready SR should never need honing again. Then you can concentrate on just developing your SR shaving technique without the added difficulty of learning how to properly hone a SR.

Honing a SR is nothing like sharpening a knife. If you are good at sharpening knives, forget everything you know about that before you start to hone a SR.

BTW, welcome to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. If you persist, you will never regret your decision.

Last edited:

As rbscebu said, I'd go for a Dutch point for a first razor. You'll find it easier to use.

As far as scales go, get what ever floats your boat and you can afford. If you feel that you may not persist with it, don't over spend. You can sell a used straight and get most (maybe all) of your money back.

Remember too you'll need a strop (Steve sells them too). I'd wait a while before looking into hones. See if you like straight shaving, there is a learning curve. You first few shaves will probably be worse than using a cartridge and you may have to resort to the cartridge for the difficult spots. Persistence is rewarding and when mastered you'll wonder why you ever used a cartridge.

With good equipment like a Proserpine Razor you are setting yourself up for success. Best of luck and welcome to the rabbit hole that is straight shaving.

Good Choice, personally not a big fan of rounded or Dutch points and prefer (French, Spanish or Square) over rounded especially for getting in close to the ears when shaving sideburns.
Whatever tip you do not want a sharp point. I would also recommend avoid smiling blade if learning how to hone.
Many breadknife the smile out but I prefer to keep the razor designed as intended but have not yet mastered the act of honing a smiling blade and will therefore send away quality smiler to be honed by an expert rather than attempt it myself. Have a few vintage smilers to practice on.

Hi. @Straight up, Steve does a lovely "job", I received my first (2) SR's for Christmas, both from Steve, one a Red Bellied Black the other in Bethlehem olive wood with our "Family Motto" engraved on to the blade, as I got the idea from you, so thanks Straight Up. I would like to "show" the razor's but unsure how to paste a photo onto the site? Cheers Les

Upload your photo here: https://postimages.org/

Then copy the link of the uploaded photo (use the forums option) and paste the link here (press ctrl + K, then paste the link in the dialog box that shows up)

Hi, @Hos thanks mate. Here are the two blades from Steve @ Proserpine Razor Co they are my first SR's, 5/8 Round (Dutch) point, one with my family "Motto" on the other the red bellied black (photo to follow?)