My (First) Ralf Aust SR

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Today I received my Ralf Aust 6/8 American (square) point, full hollow straight razor with natural horn scales from that fine gentleman @Atmoz. It is the best looking SR that I have had the pleasure of owning.

full

Upon receipt, I first checked that the bevel was properly set - it was. I then did a marker-pen test to check the honing - no tape used and only a single bevel. All was good and to my liking.

My final check was a tree-topping test. This was ok but not up to my normally acceptable shave-ready standard. I then put this blade through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression, after which it was tree-topping at well over 15mm. That was more like what I wanted.

Now I just have to wait for my whiskers to grow from this morning's shave with my Revisor 6-0035. I hate waiting!

Last edited:
I have decided not to shave with my Ralf Aust until Sunday. I need to spend a few more days shaving with my Revisor 6-0035 and 1870's George Butler "Shakespeare" No. 3 to try and determine which is the better of the two.

With the Revisor/Butler comparison done, I can then spend some shaves getting to know the Ralf Aust more intimately and refining the edge, if needed.

Last edited:
I own two Ralf Aust razors and they are by far the best of the eight I own. They are truly shave ready straight out of the box and stay sharp forever. You are going to fall in love with that razor.
I hope I don't fall too much in love with it. My wallet would be stretched to put a matching seven-day set of them together.

Hi, Probably the wrong forum, but if you purchase direct from Ralf Aust or another European vendor, is the 19% VAT deducted for an Australian?

That will depend on the vendor, technically yes.
Then you could also be stung with 10% GST if your vendor is registered for gst with the ATO.

The Ralf Aust will now not be used until at least Wednesday. I have been called away on business and don't want to take an untried SR with me to shave. I'll take a couple of my T.R. Cadman and Sons "Bengall" SR's with me. That should get me through until I return home.

Now you're just teasing.....

Now you're just teasing.....
No, not teasing. I shaved with my Ralf Aust Wednesday and Thursday.

full

They were possibly my most enjoyable shaves ever.

I then needed to compare the RA against my current most favoured SR, a Revisor 6-0035. So, Friday was the Revisor and this morning (Saturday) was RA again. Sunday will be the Revisor and by then I hope to have completed my comparison.

full

Next week I want to work though my English M7DS. They are also very enjoyable to shave with. Different feeling from my other SR's but still very enjoyable.

full

Today, for the first time, I measured the blade width of my Ralf Aust. It is 22mm wide. That makes it a ⅞ SR. Ralf specifies this SR as a 6/8. Then I remember that it is common for German SR manufacturers to measure the blade width from the thickest part of the spine and not the top of the spine. That would explain why Ralf calls this SR a 6/8.

Today, for the first time, I measured the blade width of my Ralf Aust. It is 22mm wide. That makes it a ⅞ SR. Ralf specifies this SR as a 6/8. Then I remember that it is common for German SR manufacturers to measure the blade width from the thickest part of the spine and not the top of the spine. That would explain why Ralf calls this SR a 6/8.
I think I read somewhere that @Substance (DC Blades, QLD) does likewise.

Hi, Probably the wrong forum, but if you purchase direct from Ralf Aust or another European vendor, is the 19% VAT deducted for an Australian?

Beard and Blade here in Australia sell 3 versions of Ralf Aust razors if you want local.