My First Use Of My Muhle R41

gillettedeguy

Just the other day I used my Muhle R41 for the first time. I used a Pol Silver blade, used my Omega brush and my Soap Commander soap. It only took me two passes to finish the shave, which rarely happens with me. I know some here don't find it to be a very aggressive razor but man, I never felt anything this aggressive at all. I guess it has something to do with different face/ skin types. In my opinion, the Muhle R41 is the most aggressive razor out there. If there's anything else you want me to share, please let me know and I'll be happy to add more details of my first shave with it :)

How do you like the Muhle R41?
Surprisingly I didn't find it as aggressive as my old Futur, but it's a very nice close shave.
Me personally, I think I didn't know an aggressive razor until I used my Muhle R41. I have a E3 date code Gillette Red Tip Super Speed and some say that's an aggressive razor. Me, personally I don't find the Red Tip aggressive. But I know both razors have provided me with excellent wonderful shaves whether they're aggressive or not :)

Me personally, I think I didn't know an aggressive razor until I used my Muhle R41. I have a E3 date code Gillette Red Tip Super Speed and some say that's an aggressive razor. Me, personally I don't find the Red Tip aggressive. But I know both razors have provided me with excellent wonderful shaves whether they're aggressive or not :)
Having recently used a Red Tip, I would agree that it *can* be dialed up to be aggressive. But is usually quite civil, even while being efficient.

The R41, on the other hand, asks you for a light, drags you down an alley, and beats the crap out of you.

Having recently used a Red Tip, I would agree that it *can* be dialed up to be aggressive. But is usually quite civil, even while being efficient.

The R41, on the other hand, asks you for a light, drags you down an alley, and beats the crap out of you.
I owned the r41 twist and didn’t find it so bad

Not bad is not what a shave should be - truly joyful experience is what I am looking for and the R41 definitely doesn't fit that brief.

But some people are after a quick daily one pass shave and for that it can be useful...still not joyful though :D

More to the point I’ve had harsher shaves from News

Not bad is not what a shave should be - truly joyful experience is what I am looking for and the R41 definitely doesn't fit that brief.

But some people are after a quick daily one pass shave and for that it can be useful...still not joyful though :D
I like what you're saying, joyful is a good goal (which if that was said to me a few years ago I would've thought you need help) but the utility of the R41 whilst not providing the penultimate shave experience is part of the big picture of the shave experience for me due to it's practicality.

Not bad is not what a shave should be - truly joyful experience is what I am looking for .......... .

Totally agree. I know it probably sounds backwards but a straight razor, correctly honed is one of the most aggressive yet smoothest shaves available. I have a collection of SE razors from mild [ish] to the Micromatic open comb, which is a supurb razor demanding close attention. The MMOC can be sensational or a silent slasher. It all comes down to pressure and shaver aggression.. Too much of either and lather turns pink.
I have little desire to use an R41 but with the amount of blade available see my point about pressure and haste. Just like any razor you learn as you use, or loose.
It would be interesting to hear from experienced users of an R41 to glean from their experiences how to work with such a razor. From discussions I have read on-line it is probably not a daily driver but adding it every so often to a rotation won't really allow the development of a relationship with that razor.

Not bad is not what a shave should be -

@Pbgoose do you have a Rockwell 2C or 6C handle in your den? IF yes, used the handle attached to the R41 head and believe me is fantastic combination together.

No, I don't have a Rockwell 2C or 6C, but my R41 is the Twist.

I have little desire to use an R41 but with the amount of blade available see my point about pressure and haste. Just like any razor you learn as you use, or loose.
It would be interesting to hear from experienced users of an R41 to glean from their experiences how to work with such a razor. From discussions I have read on-line it is probably not a daily driver but adding it every so often to a rotation won't really allow the development of a relationship with that razor.

I don't find the R41 dramatically different from other razors. Yes it's toward the aggressive end of the scale (it's a puppy compared to my Asylum Rx), I pay attention when I shave with it but it's not crazy aggressive. I'd probably disagree/agree with the relationship development with the razor. I agree that each razor needs to be used enough to get used to the techniques required and what blades work best etc but intermittent use just means that might take a little longer. Because I like variety at the moment I rarely use the same razor two days consecutively, so I haven't attempted to use the R41 as a daily drIver. If I did I'd consider blade choice and technique more carefully to minimise potential irritation.

No, I don't have a Rockwell 2C or 6C, but my R41 is the Twist.

I don't find the R41 dramatically different from other razors. Yes it's toward the aggressive end of the scale (it's a puppy compared to my Asylum Rx), I pay attention when I shave with it but it's not crazy aggressive. I'd probably disagree/agree with the relationship development with the razor. I agree that each razor needs to be used enough to get used to the techniques required and what blades work best etc but intermittent use just means that might take a little longer. Because I like variety at the moment I rarely use the same razor two days consecutively, so I haven't attempted to use the R41 as a daily drIver. If I did I'd consider blade choice and technique more carefully to minimise potential irritation.
This.

Totally agree. I know it probably sounds backwards but a straight razor, correctly honed is one of the most aggressive yet smoothest shaves available. I have a collection of SE razors from mild [ish] to the Micromatic open comb, which is a supurb razor demanding close attention. The MMOC can be sensational or a silent slasher. It all comes down to pressure and shaver aggression.. Too much of either and lather turns pink.

I had it on loan for a while and can tell you all about it on Sunday...too lazy to type ;)