My vintage Citizen diver.

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Well, it's about 50 years old so probably considered vintage now.

https://sweep-hand.org/kelvin-and-his-b52806-the-story-of-two-vietnam-veterans/

I didn't write the story. It's entirely written by the buyer (Bert) who wrote the story around some things I told him.
It was a great watch, but I never wore it much after returning to NZ.
I just thought that some of you may find the watch and the story around it worth a wee read.
Sadly, the watch has retained it's looks and performance better than me.

I didn't write the story. It's entirely written by the buyer (Bert) who wrote the story around some things I told him.
I just thought that some of you may find the watch and the story around it worth a wee read.
Brilliant :) thanks for sharing.

For something that has been sitting that long, I am pleased to hear it is going to someone who will use it as I am sure you are too @Blackie. It is pretty close to Citizen's answer to a 62MAS. It's a lovely piece and in amazing condition... I hate to think how much we would have needed to cough up to keep it in ANZAC hands.

I note the quip about keeping "perfect time" but I'd love to know how well it was keeping time with a timegrapher in a few positions. Anything inside +10/-20 in the first 6 positions would be astounding after that long in the box.

For something that has been sitting that long, I am pleased to hear it is going to someone who will use it as I am sure you are too @Blackie. It is pretty close to Citizen's answer to a 62MAS. It's a lovely piece and in amazing condition... I hate to think how much we would have needed to cough up to keep it in ANZAC hands.

I note the quip about keeping "perfect time" but I'd love to know how well it was keeping time with a timegrapher in a few positions. Anything inside +10/-20 in the first 6 positions would be astounding after that long in the box.

Suffice to say I sold it for more than the $35US I paid for it. Think more like +$1000NZ. Those old watches are well loved by collectors now. I sold it at a rate that allowed Bert to make a wee profit too if he decided he didn't want to keep it.
It was a heavy piece, very solid. Probably why I didn't wear it much after I returned to NZ.
At the time I bought the Citizen I also bought a Seiko (model unknown now). It had a red and blue outer ring with world time zones on it. I sent that to my brother in OZ (he's in Bundy) as a Xmas present. About 10 - 12 years later he was in Hong Kong and went to buy a nice watch for his son. The old Chinese guy in the shop saw the Seiko and immediately asked to see it.
He then offered my brother $1100NZ right away. Maybe I should have kept the Seiko instead? Seems like they went up in price way faster than the Citizens.
Anyway, there comes a time in life when one must start to shed a few toys, etc. So I'm OK with selling it. I'm sure Bert still loves it.

Suffice to say I sold it for more than the $35US I paid for it. Think more like +$1000NZ. Those old watches are well loved by collectors now. I sold it at a rate that allowed Bert to make a wee profit too if he decided he didn't want to keep it.
I was definitely going to say around the AUD $1000 mark. If you love vintage, that is not expensive at all. That said, if you were buying it then it was most definitely not as a 'not sure I will like it' basis.

At the time I bought the Citizen I also bought a Seiko (model unknown now). It had a red and blue outer ring with world time zones on it. I sent that to my brother in OZ (he's in Bundy) as a Xmas present. About 10 - 12 years later he was in Hong Kong and went to buy a nice watch for his son. The old Chinese guy in the shop saw the Seiko and immediately asked to see it.
Yep, depending on the model it could be worth a pretty penny. Some of the older Seikos that ended up as collectable can command high prices. An early '70s Pepsi-bezel'd Seiko (red/blue bezel is generally termed 'Pepsi') could definitely be worth a ton, especially if you have some weathering/fade on the colours, or even on the dial.

He then offered my brother $1100NZ right away. Maybe I should have kept the Seiko instead? Seems like they went up in price way faster than the Citizens.
All depends, specific models can vary quite a bit. Generally the Seikos could be considered more collectable overall than Citizen, although there is certain Citizen models which are worth more than a similar Seiko model.

Anyway, there comes a time in life when one must start to shed a few toys, etc. So I'm OK with selling it. I'm sure Bert still loves it.
Sometimes the passing it on to a new guardian is worth more than the money or object. I love it when things are passed on and handed down, especially when they are either well loved or kept in excellent condition.

I remember getting my Grandfather's Fatboy given to me when I was about 8 or 9. DE Blades were no longer sold locally, they became toys for us kids. It has now long since gone, lost in 30 years of living, moves and cleanouts. So is my grandfather, he passed away last year. You have no idea what I would not give to have that simple, common Gillette in my possession today.

Thats an amazing story @Blackie - its great to know the watch has found a new owner who now knows its history!