Naniwa 1k SS or Chosera

Psmith

Pmember
So I'm in the process of getting a honing set up. I have a Naniwa progression of 5k, 8k and 12k.
I figured I may as well get a bevel setter whilst I'm at it. I know there is a lot of love for the Chosera 1k but it is significantly more than the Naniwa SS 1k. Nearly 3 times the price - A$125 compared to A$45.

I can't see myself setting bevels that often, and even then only for myself. To refresh my current razors I go down to the 5k as per @Mark's advice. It's more than likely only if I get a new razor, meaning that I doubt I'll be faced with chips or weird edges. So should I just get the Super Stone? I can get the Naniwa SS 1k and 3k together for half the cost of the Chosera. Or is the Chosera that good?

The chosera is much better. You will be setting a lot of bevels. Look at it from a long term perspective, I've done the same mistake by buying a few different bevel setters because they're cheap and still bought the green monster in the end, now I only use the 1k chosera or 2k shapton pro. It's entirely your choice. You get what you pay for.

Note: the chosera line is discontinued so whatevers left is left. The new remake is the naniwa pro which is thinner but harder, I prefer the original for razors.

So I'm in the process of getting a honing set up. I have a Naniwa progression of 5k, 8k and 12k.
I figured I may as well get a bevel setter whilst I'm at it. I know there is a lot of love for the Chosera 1k but it is significantly more than the Naniwa SS 1k. Nearly 3 times the price - A$125 compared to A$45.

I can't see myself setting bevels that often, and even then only for myself. To refresh my current razors I go down to the 5k as per @Mark's advice. It's more than likely only if I get a new razor, meaning that I doubt I'll be faced with chips or weird edges. So should I just get the Super Stone? I can get the Naniwa SS 1k and 3k together for half the cost of the Chosera. Or is the Chosera that good?

If history is anything to n no time you'll have RAD and be setting bevels like nobody's business! Buying a razor = re-set the bevel so you'll do it at least once for every razor you buy, even on new ones. You just don't know what the previous honer has done, how they have done it and if they stone is flat etc etc so best practice is to reset right from the start.

If history is anything to n no time you'll have RAD and be setting bevels like nobody's business! Buying a razor = re-set the bevel so you'll do it at least once for every razor you buy, even on new ones. You just don't know what the previous honer has done, how they have done it and if they stone is flat etc etc so best practice is to reset right from the start.
Talk about timing @Sxot. As you posted it I discover that I 'won' this razor.

Well finally bit the bullet and ordered a Chocera 1k a month or so ago, it arrived this week
so gave it a 300 grit lap than a 1000 grit lap and ran 6 str8s over it with and without slurry
impressions
This is definitely a heavy brick (20mm thick option) with cleaning slurry stone
The speed of cutting is noticably a lot quicker than the Naniwa SS 1k even with a 600 grit slurry
3 refreshes
2 brand new str8s
1 restore did this with slurry from the red cleaning brick to clean water
All got a full bevel set then on to Jnats

I was impressed with how quick the restore blade came up with geometry fixes included The slurry certainly speeds this up even more

Next will be a wedge or 2 to see how the large bevels take with it

Now just Wish I got the Green brick a lot sooner, all them hours of bevel setting well over a 150 str8s with the SS1k just seems a waste now

My SS1k has rather minimal wear so this behemoth will last a looooong time

So a definite plus 1 for the value of the Naniwa chocera 1k over the SS 1k
Twice the size and twice as quick to use

Cheers
Dion

pKl4T0O.jpg