Need a judgement call

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I have an event next week in which I'm required to wear a dinner suit, yep bow tie and all. My question is, with a dinner suit must the pants have the Saturn strip or is this a styling choice?

It's a styling choice.
If an official event, plain the better.
Personally don't like cummerbunds so as alternative you can wear a suit vest.
Add a pocket chief/square if wearing a white bow tie as it finishes off the look.
If wedding or party wear the ruffle/Pirate shirt. Bright shoes etc and have fun.

Check out this site if you want - http://www.blacktieguide.com/
But I tend to agree that it is a styling choice HOWEVER ...

One thing you must, must, must do is have a proper bow tie. I learned to tie one watching this video (there are lots, this is the best I think) and have never looked back -

Thanks for the tip, question, must one wear a vest or cumberbund?

Thanks for the tip, question, must one wear a vest or cumberbund?

No and still looks great and modern. However your belt must look nice without wear marks around the buckle and eyelets. Also the style/colour of it should match your shoes, cufflinks and studs if wearing any. So a big chunky buckle needs to be supported by a gallon hat and so on...
Brown belt can be matched by a colourful bow tie and pocket chief to create balance if you are daring.

If you don't have a waist coat as @Mark1966 suggested just hire/borrow a backless one for the day as very adjustable and if over it half way just stuff it in jacket pocket or partner's clutch.

Thanks fellas, typically in vertx millatary cargos in daily life so this is abit outside of my comfort zone but learning new things is what it is all about

Cumberbunds are a monstrosity. A coloured one is the sure sign you've been to a Bogan wedding. A vest is smarter, and still looks good when you take a jacket off.

A real bow tie is a class above too. Also looks very James Bond at the end of the evening when untied, if the evening gets that relaxed...