New and from Gippsland Vic

Welcome @Callum!

I won't tell you what to do. But, I can share my experience.

1) I had no luck buying anything at bricks-and-mortar shops. I only had success once I went online... Shaving hardware+software now dominate my bathroom. Things have improved somewhat now that MensBiz has opened a store near me. But I still shop mostly online.

2) I started with a Merkur 34c. It IS a great razor. But I haven't touched it since I bought my Rockwell 6c; It just really REALLY gelled with me.
I have 9-ish razors now and I still use my 6c the most, even though it was the second purchased.
Just as @Kaeckerut's recommendation, it is very similar to the 6s; just cheaper and shinier; chromed (c) vs stainless (s). I can't say which is better as I haven't tried the 6s yet. However, suffice-it to say that I will likely buy a 6s on principle - (shhhh! don't tell my wife).
Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the razors mentioned.
Just a tip: If you buy a 6c/6s, buy the matching stand too. It really keeps thing neat and tidy.

3) Don't think you have to buy your soaps (etc) from overseas. We have an exceptional artisan community here. I won't name names - there's heaps mentioned here every day. With only a few special exceptions, I only buy locally now.

Anyway, I've prattled-on enough. Everyone here is respectful, helpful and equally addicted.
Have fun and share your experiences! :)

I'm currently working through the last of my Shick Hydro blades while shopping around for a good starter DE that I might be able to carry on using for quite some time yet (thinking something like Rockwell 6C or Merkur 34c).

Wet shaving is something I have wanted to get into for some time now, but have only just gotten myself an Omega Boar brush recently. I was on holidays in NZ with a tube of Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime shave cream, when I found the brush in Queenstown. Before then I was just mashing the cream on with my fingers. It worked, but I wouldn't say ideal.

Since then I have picked up a selection of other creams and soaps from supermarkets to pharmacists and even an order on Beard and Blade (mostly to try some Proraso because it seems to very popular).

I already have around 10 different soaps and creams that I have been trying out to see what works for me. I've had a few false steps (Col Ichabod Conk and I don't see eye to eye) but all in all I'm enjoying myself so far and keep finding myself looking around for what next.

Being in Gippsland (a few hours East of Melb) means that there isn't much in the way of shaving supply stores, really a Chemist Warehouse or Coles are the upper end, so instead I find myself wistfully browsing online stores.
Welcome @Callum. I'd be interested to know how you've found the Omega boar brush. I was given this for Christmas and at first I hated it. It smelt foul and was really scritchy. Two months in and it has improved somewhat, but I am not a big fan of the handle, too big and slippery for me.

Welcome @Callum. I'd be interested to know how you've found the Omega boar brush. I was given this for Christmas and at first I hated it. It smelt foul and was really scritchy. Two months in and it has improved somewhat, but I am not a big fan of the handle, too big and slippery for me.
The handle fits nicely in my hand & I don’t really find it getting slippery.

That said when I first opened the pack and washed the brush in a sink full of warm water... well the brown colour the water turned and the smell ohh the smell, Made me second guess if all this was a good idea.

Eventually after a few shaves (~2weeks & a few furious washes of the brush) the lime scent of the shave cream I was using started to overwhelm the boar ‘aroma’.

I’m looking to get a badger brush in the near term, but probably not for a few months yet.

Welcome @Callum!

I won't tell you what to do. But, I can share my experience.

1) I had no luck buying anything at bricks-and-mortar shops. I only had success once I went online... Shaving hardware+software now dominate my bathroom. Things have improved somewhat now that MensBiz has opened a store near me. But I still shop mostly online.

2) I started with a Merkur 34c. It IS a great razor. But I haven't touched it since I bought my Rockwell 6c; It just really REALLY gelled with me.
I have 9-ish razors now and I still use my 6c the most, even though it was the second purchased.
Just as @Kaeckerut's recommendation, it is very similar to the 6s; just cheaper and shinier; chromed (c) vs stainless (s). I can't say which is better as I haven't tried the 6s yet. However, suffice-it to say that I will likely buy a 6s on principle - (shhhh! don't tell my wife).
Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the razors mentioned.
Just a tip: If you buy a 6c/6s, buy the matching stand too. It really keeps thing neat and tidy.

3) Don't think you have to buy your soaps (etc) from overseas. We have an exceptional artisan community here. I won't name names - there's heaps mentioned here every day. With only a few special exceptions, I only buy locally now.

Anyway, I've prattled-on enough. Everyone here is respectful, helpful and equally addicted.
Have fun and share your experiences! :)

I do really like the look of the 6s and maybe that will be my next razor as I just pulled the trigger on a Standard Razors DE from Shave Shack (well 2 one Raw & one Black, I guess one will end up as a gift to someone about to fall into this deep dark rabbit hole), I just couldn’t go past the closing down sale prices (or decide which colour I liked more). It’s kind of bitter sweet, I haven’t been around long enough to buy anything from them before & they will probably have shut down before I need anything else. Just seems a shame to see a local shop go by the wayside.

I would have liked one of the Sam & Son leather travel wraps for my brush, but unfortunately they are all sold out.

Now it’s off to order some blades.