New Brush No Lathe

Fail Knot Making

After harvesting my horse hair in an unorthodox method I have to admit to a fail in my first attempt at knot making. While the knot was a miserable fail I learned a lot and will be better prepared next time. I know I can do it.

1. It takes quite a lot of hair to make a knot and I didn't harvest enough
2. The hair from the mane of the brumby I used was not course enough, this added to my troubles
3. There is not a lot of hair in the tail on a brumby. The horse tail is not hair from the bum down; it has a solid core.

There is a chance I will have to drive a truck back into Darwin in February. Probably won't see a brumby.

Firewood Brush

I haven't been real busy with brush making since I last posted an Errol brush. I'll start with a couple of photos of additions then go through to the latest addition:

Walnut with 26mm Maggards Mixed Badger/ Boar - Fun to use but I should have weighted the base ie. insert a brass rod into the handle to stabilise the base.

My wife suggested a present for each of our combined six sons. This time a mix of Walnut and Oak handles fitted with a 26mm Maggards Brown Synthetic. They probably would not appreciate a badger brush.

I did not want to be left out this week while everyone is parading their new brushes so I want to introduce mine; a good old Australian Iron Bark handle fitted with a 28mm Golden Nib High Mountain knot.

Iron Bark fire wood stolen from my sisters wood heap

The boy hard at work. It's a pleasure to see the handle start to materialise before your eyes.

Now the work begins - sanding and polishing

To finish off the Iron Bark handle I used a product I've not used before - Mr Bees Manuka Shine & Sealer. It's a gel that is simply rubbed into the wood. This piece of wood could have been dead for 50 years before it was split for fire wood so is well seasoned. It took for ages for the wood to soak up the sealer. I've used the brush three times and its required further coats already. I love my boar brushes but the biggest advantage I've identified so far is the 28mm High Mountain's ability to retain hot water prior to lathering up.

Last edited:
What beauties. 👍

Firewood Brush

I haven't been real busy with brush making since I last posted an Errol brush. I'll start with a couple of photos of additions then go through to the latest addition:

Walnut with 26mm Maggards Mixed Badger/ Boar - Fun to use but I should have weighted the base ie. insert a brass rod into the handle to stabilise the base.

My wife suggested a present for each of our combined six sons. This time a mix of Walnut and Oak handles fitted with a 26mm Maggards Brown Synthetic. They probably would not appreciate a badger brush.

I did not want to be left out this week while everyone is parading their new brushes so I want to introduce mine; a good old Australian Iron Bark handle fitted with a 28mm Golden Nib High Mountain knot.

Iron Bark fire wood stolen from my sisters wood heap

The boy hard at work. It's a pleasure to see the handle start to materialise before your eyes.

Now the work begins - sanding and polishing

To finish off the Iron Bark handle I used a product I've not used before - Mr Bees Manuka Shine & Sealer. It's a gel that is simply rubbed into the wood. This piece of wood could have been dead for 50 years before it was split for fire wood so is well seasoned. It took for ages for the wood to soak up the sealer. I've used the brush three times and its required further coats already. I love my boar brushes but the biggest advantage I've identified so far is the 28mm High Mountain's ability to retain hot water prior to lathering up.
A real work of art (especially that last one) - well done @Errol (y)

That ironbark brush is just stunning. Do you use anything to seal the socket before inserting the knot?

Six sons! Do you not have TV up there!?
Next question, how many daughters?
Boys alone, that's a tribe where I come from.

The iron bark 28mm, absolutely great work and hand machined. Always impressed by your work.

Walnut with 26mm Maggards Mixed Badger/ Boar
Got the same knot and have not used it as yet as awaiting a handle that suits it. Thoughts on the performance and setting you used for it please? Breaking in?

Six sons! Do you not have TV up there!?
Next question, how many daughters?
Boys alone, that's a tribe where I come from.

The iron bark 28mm, absolutely great work and hand machined. Always impressed by your work.

Got the same knot and have not used it as yet as awaiting a handle that suits it. Thoughts on the performance and setting you used for it please? Breaking in?

Daughters? All kids equipped with external plumbing

Machined - I prefer to call it carved

Socket - 30mm - That was the drill I found

Loft - Set to where it looked right - measured now at 57mm

Performance - Nearly as good as my boars - Likes plenty of water - Holds the hot water far better than the boars for preparation

Breaking in? What’s that? - no stuffing around, the first time the knot saw water I was using it to prep my face for the shave, same method used for all new brushes

@Errol lol :LOL: haven't heard the descriptive 'external plumbing' for a while.

Machined or carved.. well go with the latter (y)

I'm not one for breaking in either. Basically if it gets softer and the hairs split it is wearing out :D

Rami sent me a razor handle to try so I could give him my thoughts so I advised Rami I would make a brush to send back with his handle. About a month ago I was given four buffalo horns with more to come next time I'm over there. A rest day yesterday and nothing decent to watch on TV so I took the opportunity to make Rami's brush:

post image online

Enjoy @Rami

Rami sent me a razor handle to try so I could give him my thoughts so I advised Rami I would make a brush to send back with his handle. About a month ago I was given four buffalo horns with more to come next time I'm over there. A rest day yesterday and nothing decent to watch on TV so I took the opportunity to make Rami's brush:

post image online

Enjoy @Rami
Wow, that is awesome. Great to see a natural material being reused. Lovely colour too!

post image online

Enjoy @Rami
You’re starting to wet shave like a Viking