New Brush No Lathe

Errol

Razor Review Guru

Of late I’ve been using boar brushes pretty exclusively. I’ve even had Tony Forsythe make a couple of boar brushes for me using supplied Whipped Dog knots. I have also purchased a couple of knots from Golden Nib, a High Mountain White 25mm and a Boar hair knot 27mm. It was the Golden Nib Boar that I decided needed a handle first and I was going to make it. I’ve never seen a handle without a knot and do not have a lathe but I do have a pocket knife and a Dremel. Last time I was Atherton I purchased a block of Black Bean wood long enough to make two handles.

The first thing I done was to cut the block in half and I couldn’t even get that square; no vice either is my excuse and I’ m sticking with that. After drilling a hole for the knot I then used the Dremel to expand the hole to the required 1 ¼ inch diameter. That gave me the critical circle I required for the rest of the handle to comply with. One shave brush handle that I really like is the Thater 4125 handle, and while I couldn’t duplicate it that shape was the inspiration behind the shape of the handle I was about to embark on. Pocket knife and Dremel to work, then a lot of sandpapering. I then finished the handle off with Birchwood Tru-oil gun stock finish (that’s where I’m up to now) but wish for a satin finish. To achieve this I need to wait seven days before applying Stock Sheen and Conditioner. Another seven day wait then I can try and protect the handle with Wax to give it the best chance of survival. Like everyone I wanted the handle finished yesterday but I have now slowed down my heart rate and am prepared to wait another three weeks to get it right.

Spectacular work for a knife and Dremen - wonderful (y)(y)(y)

Amazing work.

[Bonus points for just a knife and Dremel]

What ever you do don’t take your tools to a NSW meet.

The Golden Nib 27mm boar completed this morning. Look out tomorrow's shave.

And with the 25mm High Mountain, still another two weeks from completion.
omo8vVp.gif
A0naZhi.gif

The Golden Nib 27mm boar completed this morning. Look out tomorrow's shave.

And with the 25mm High Mountain, still another two weeks from completion.
Nice work @Errol . They have come up beautifully! Did you say they are gun stock finishes? How do you think that will stand up to moisture? I'm assuming that's why you've used that finish.

Nice work @Errol . They have come up beautifully! Did you say they are gun stock finishes? How do you think that will stand up to moisture? I'm assuming that's why you've used that finish.

I done a fair bit of research and the Tru-Oil has been used before in protecting brush handles. I went further and covered the exterior in 6 coats of Gun Stock Wax. Hopefully that should stop cracking or swelling. On top of that the black bean timber has been used for years as fence posts so I’m hoping that will add to the resilience. Time will tell.