New Daily Driver

Ckoerntjes

Gentlemen,

It's been a while since I last posted but I have been lurking away when the odd moment presents itself.

I find myself in a predicament.

My good lady has dropped her DE razor (a pink thing with a horrendously slippery handle) for not the first time and on this occasion the impact has been quite catastrophic on the centre post of the razor head.

Rather than bemoan the cost of a replacement for her I have instead convinced her to "make do" with my starting razor (a Merkur 34c, which had hitherto been my work razor).

Now I am in need of a work razor! well my current daily razor the Rockwell 6s ought to fit the bill. However then I need a new everyday razor and herein lies my issue.

This sudden need no acquire another razor was not premeditated and indeed I have done very little research in the realm of new razors. I am therefore looking to enlist the assistance of such esteemed gentlemen as yourselves as to your recommendations (keeping within the criteria below).

New stock only (Vintage I shall save for another day)
<$200 Aud
Preference for a local supplier but am flexible.
I mainly use the Rockwell on plate 5 but would like improvements on efficiency (ie less irritation but closer shave)

Let me know your thoughts. I am currently looking at a Karve but think there are options I have yet to stumble upon. Let the enabling commence 😀

Get the Karve with C and D plates. Brass is fine of course and will be under budget. SS needs a touch more cash but either is fine.
Maybe put your name down on the Wolfman list too. The good missus might even buy it for you, one day...

Check out http://www.vshod.com/
First check out the Razorock Gamechanger solid bar 0.84 , nice balance of efficiency and smoothness.
@Razorburn has recently purchased the Razorock Wunderbar Slant which he sounds very happy with. You could ask him how that compares to the Rockwell plate 5. That is slightly over the $200 though.

Get the Karve with C and D plates. Brass is fine of course and will be under budget. SS needs a touch more cash but either is fine.
Maybe put your name down on the Wolfman list too. The good missus might even buy it for you, one day...
Let’s “enable” one step further...

Chris, if you want to swing by my office (near where the new Anzac station is being built) I can loan you my brass Karve if you want to try it out? Let me know mate.

+1 for GC-84. I haven't unboxed the Karve CB "E" to compare
If you really enjoyed the 34c have you considered a 37c or get the missus a Leaf razor

I was lent a brass Karve by @Nico (plate #SB-C I think).
It was so good I ordered a stainless steel Karve for Christmas.
In short, I couldn't imagine a better daily driver. My previous daily was a 6c, which is still pretty decent.

I have the #SB-B, #SB-C, #SB-D, and #OC-C plates. #SB-B is my preference. #SB-C is good too. I haven't tried #SB-D yet. #OC-C is VERY efficient, but a bit much for me, to be honest. It's great if you have 2 weeks growth and want it gone in a single pass, though.
I might try to get an #OC-B plate so I can OC more regularly.

If I were in your shoes, a Brass Karve would be a great choice.
If you were more easily persuaded, I'd tell you to get the SS version (like me).
Both are awesome. I just happen to love steel.

TheStrayWhisker have/had the brass version locally, and the "Daily Shavers Kit" seems up your alley.
https://www.thestraywhisker.com.au/karve-christopher-bradley-brass-daily-shavers-kit

This kit includes:
• 3.5" long handle
• top cap
three solid bar plates (SB-B, SB-C, and SB-D)
• a tuck of Astra SP Blades (contains 5 blades)

I would also buy the stand. It's rather pricey. But damn if it isn't the best and prettiest stand I own (in SS).
https://www.thestraywhisker.com.au/karve-brass-razor-stand

Karve with C plate or Razorock Gamechanger SB 0.84. Both razors are smooth and efficient daily drivers.
As we all know YMMV. I would recommended taking up the offer of a loan from @tim33z
Good luck :)

my daily driver used to be a 6C on plates 5 or 6 and At the time loved it. U say u want more efficiency than that so if u go karve I would recommend a Sb in plate D at least or maybe E depending on the level of efficiency u are after

I have used a brass karve with c and d plates, the c was way too mild and D was just acceptable for me

If it not for a wr1 wolfman in that pass around I would of owned one after I tried it at the time

Personally I feel the GC is a better option.. a lot of people like the GC 0.84P and this was just acceptable however I wanted more efficiency and when the GC JAWS came out I got it locally and for me it is an amazing razor especially for the money.. the GC OC is supposed to be a touch milder than jaws and one day will have one.

If u are after new, sources locally and under $200 aud it would be the GC or brass karve

Good luck

Thank you gents for your suggestions. It came down to the Game Changer and the Karve but I prefer the look of the Karve's handle geometry and the novelty of trying a different metal sounds fun.

It's going to be the brass with a D plate and I'll see from there.

Thank you for the very generous offer @tim33z but it's pretty hard for me to get to the city these days. The significant amount of love and option for other plates seems like I should be able to find a suitable for for my face (If, for some reason, it all goes to hell in a hand basket I'm fairly confident I'll be able to sell it on).

Now I just need to put the order in to The Stray Whisker - ooh look they have more soaps in stock, oh and blades, could always use some spares, maybe just some splash to match that soap....

Oh dear....

Thank you gents for your suggestions. It came down to the Game Changer and the Karve but I prefer the look of the Karve's handle geometry and the novelty of trying a different metal sounds fun.

Thank you for the very generous offer @tim33z but it's pretty hard for me to get to the city these days. The significant amount of love and option for other plates seems like I should be able to find a suitable for for my face (If, for some reason, it all goes to hell in a hand basket I'm fairly confident I'll be able to sell it on).

Now I just need to put the order in to The Stray Whisker - ooh look they have more soaps in stock, oh and blades, could always use some spares, maybe just some splash to match that soap....

Oh dear....
No problems mate, you’re making a very solid decision anyway!

Oh dear....

giphy.gif