Newbie from Melbourne

Welcome @r4nd0mbr1ck. It's nice to read others are on a waste reduction goal. It was the reason I swapped to a DE.

As @Ozwhisker has pointed out - geofatboy on youtube. His video about shaving against the grain was useful for me.

I'd suggest getting a blade tester pack. I am on my third brand of blade. Its been the best of the bunch so far. As I understand it there is no 'best' blade. You need to find the right one for you.

@r4nd0mbr1ck if I could do it all again I'd start with one of the artisans. They cost a bit more than Proraso, but price is not very different to Taylor of Old Bond Street and imo your skin and nose will thank you for it.

Internationals -Barrister and Mann and Phoenix and Beau have some great offerings.

Even better, our very own @SchoolForAnts (Squadron Soaps) and @todras (Australian Private Reserve) make top shelf soap right here in Aus.

My absolute current favourite is Australian Private Reserve: Torchwood

I am fairly new to DE shaving as well, proraso is ok but if you are after artisan try Mike's from Canada (really good for sensitive skin). Buy it from Maggards online, vshod in Australia have it but at an expensive price.

Locally try Fat Face, I have some in the mail and people race about it.

There are a few good local Facebook groups on de shaving too