Newbie not happy!, needs advice

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
hey guys,

so i have a few vintage razors that im not using until i get them restored, but im currently shaving with a merkhur 23c and it shaves me and i get a very close shave from it but shes mild as a cheap curry.
i want to feel the blade against my skin and doing its job and i feel its not giving me this feeling.

dont get me wrong its a lovely quality razor i just need to feel the steel against my face more.

can anyone suggest a reasonably priced (under $60) DE razor that i can pick up that isnt terribly aggressive but just not as mild as the 23C.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO!

feathers skin me alive they are so sharp i use green astras just want a slightly more aggressive DE but not as agressive as an open comb

A very sharp blade in a mild razor seems to be a popular solution - it can't skin you alive without enough blade exposure to do so.

I second the above comments about the Fatip Grande - great, efficient, close shaves with no damage for me (with a mild blade) but blade alignment is indeed a PITA.

hey guys,

so i have a few vintage razors that im not using until i get them restored, but im currently shaving with a merkhur 23c and it shaves me and i get a very close shave from it but shes mild as a cheap curry.
i want to feel the blade against my skin and doing its job and i feel its not giving me this feeling.

dont get me wrong its a lovely quality razor i just need to feel the steel against my face more.

can anyone suggest a reasonably priced (under $60) DE razor that i can pick up that isnt terribly aggressive but just not as mild as the 23C.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand GO!

Be careful what you wish for. Most people want the exact opposite and the exact result you're already getting. Some take a lot longer to get there too.
You already have the solution and you've made it a problem.

Alternately, you could try something like a Parker 24/26c open comb. OC razors do give that bit more blade feel and efficiency without taking a layer of skin off as well.

Well, if you really want steel against your face, try a Rolls?

(yes I am kidding although I do have one and it shaves just fine).

Easy solution...merkur progress.

The short handle version should be available around the $60 mark.

You can adjust the level until it reaches the aggression you like, but I'll add that it shaves way better than 23c or 34c or 38c even on lower settings just due to the head geometry.

Have you tried using a shim? I put one in an old Merkur and it definitely resulted in a slight increase in aggressiveness without irritation. It costs nothing. Here's a link to a video:

Merkur 37c . Ahhh I miss mine so much, months after breaking mine I still can't get the same shave with any other razors.
Mm if anyone has one for sale Le t me know.

Have you tried using a shim?...

What he said. I use one shim in a Feather AS-D2 to get a slightly more aggressive feel, works extremely well and has the added bonus of adding a little blade rigidity to those razors that don't support the blade particularly well at the edge. Literally cost you nothing to try... though I realise this advice may be coming far too late. :)