Not getting along with my Fatboy/Looking for blade recommendations

thisISjoel

Hey P&C, I've got a Fatboy in pretty nice shape, it's a really cool looking razor and I really want to enjoy shaving with it, but it's just not happening for me at the moment. I find that I always give myself at least a couple of nicks/weepers with I also find myself more prone to razor burn when I use it.

I tend to stay around the 2-4 settings, depending on how much growth I have and my go to blades are Polsilver SIs. I've also recently tried a kai blade with similar results.

Any ideas how I can improve my shave with this razor and/or what blades do you like in your Fatboy? Help me P&C, you're my only hope!

Feathers, only Feathers for me and I run my Slim and my Fatboy at 5 or 6.

If you are getting burn and nicks from settings 2-4, I think something is going wrong with technique, as those settings make it almost as mild as a tech. Polisilvers an Kai are also a great blades, very smooth an sharp. Id be looking at prep, lather, and razor technique, such as angle and pressure. I can almost guarantee that one of those will be your culprit.

Agree with the above - the Fatboy is a great razor and settings 2-4 should be super mild. As long as your blade gaps are even / settings are correct ... maybe try a different blade, but Ive found most blades work pretty well in my Fatboy.

Hey @thisISjoel I had been having the exact same problem with my new slim. I brought it along to the last Sydney meet up and @Monsta_AU confirmed the razor blade gap etc. was good (so wasn't a razor fault). I have since really concentrated on razor angle and pressure while shaving and have had great results - no more cuts. I use Polsilver SIs too although @Monsta_AU kindly gave me some vintage blades to try out which I will do as soon as my current blade is done. Short strokes and no pressure worked for me.

My Fatboy (I run it on 5 - 6), loves any blade I use.
Mind you, I tend to buy Russian made Gillettes, or else Feathers.
Ignoring experience level of wet shaving, how's that razor?
Have you had a real good look at the safety bars...not twisted, bent?
Doors OK, locking down with that last 1/4 twist?
Nothing bent out of whack, etc?
Fatboy been cleaned, serviced lately (or ever)?
Just a thought you see, that it may be a mechanical fault and not you.
ps. personally, I reckon you should throw it away as far as you can. I'm in New Zealand so that should work! Don't bother to thank me...happy to help. I'll keep it away from harming you ever again.

If you are getting burn and nicks from settings 2-4, I think something is going wrong with technique, as those settings make it almost as mild as a tech. Polisilvers an Kai are also a great blades, very smooth an sharp. Id be looking at prep, lather, and razor technique, such as angle and pressure. I can almost guarantee that one of those will be your culprit.

Spot on, I reckon! I had similar problem when I first got mine. Tried eight blades and none of them made much difference. I was using it on setting 2 or 3. Then I mucked around with my technique and suddenly it all came together. I then found 5 or 6 was the optimum for me. I don't use adjustables much any more. Modern fixed razors paired with most Russian blades works better for me. Don't really know why that is... they just do.

My Fatboy (I run it on 5 - 6), loves any blade I use.
Mind you, I tend to buy Russian made Gillettes, or else Feathers.
Ignoring experience level of wet shaving, how's that razor?
Have you had a real good look at the safety bars...not twisted, bent?
Doors OK, locking down with that last 1/4 twist?
Nothing bent out of whack, etc?
Fatboy been cleaned, serviced lately (or ever)?
Just a thought you see, that it may be a mechanical fault and not you.
ps. personally, I reckon you should throw it away as far as you can. I'm in New Zealand so that should work! Don't bother to thank me...happy to help. I'll keep it away from harming you ever again.

I suspect our mate Blackie is planning to start shaving some good-looking Kiwi ewes with that Fatboy! ;););)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be angle, and the result of you dragging the edge of the blade across your face. Once I showed @ShaveOn the angle that was required I think it actually clicked and he has been happy with his since.

I find the key to these razors is to keep the blade gap small - ie the smallest numbers. I reckon 2 is the right place. The wider the blade gap then the sloppier you can be with your angle at the expense of... well you already know!

In most cases, the handle needs to be more perpendicular to the face. if you are dragging the handle more parallel to the face then your angle is way off. Should be 22-23 degrees from perpendicular.

This is why I love this forum. Great advice and too had this problem. Will be pulling the Fatboy out again very soon.

Thanks for all the replies, gents. I'm sure it must be user error, I've had the razor cleaned up (inside and out) by the man himself, Fatboy58, who gave it a clean bill of health.

I'll have a play around with the angle next time I'm using it, thanks for the tip @Monsta_AU :)

Just to clarify @Monsta_AU you mean a steeper angle, yeah?

images

Yes, and generally even more than what they call 'steep'.
Cheers, I'll keep at it. Had another pretty rough shave with it yesterday. Went steeper with the angle which seemed to work really well on the cheeks, but on my neck I found it very difficult to maintain the angle. Ended up with some pretty bad razor burn on my neck (and even some on my jaw line going ATG), but the lather was probably at least equally responsible for that (got a bit cocky with the fat and shouldn't really have shaved with the lather I made).

I agree with everything above; however, isn't the angle that you are referring to commonly known as a 'shallow angle'? AFAIK a steep angle is with the handle more parallel with the face, a shallow angle is when it's more parallel with the floor.

A setting of 2-4 on a FatBoy should be mild. I would say your difficulty is the angle of attack. I'd try a steeper angle, even to the point of nearly "riding the cap". As the angle of attack increases, nicks and cuts are increasingly unlikely.

When the angle is shallow, it is the blade that is perpendicular to,the face. With enough pressure, nicks and cuts are inevitable.

Last edited: