Not shave related but very interesting.

Discussion started by bald as, Jun 15, 2018.

1. bald as

bald as Member

The SR "blackbird" was an amazing plane.

I hope you find the old guy entertaining :)

Steve

2. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

Four types; A-12, YF-12A, M-21 and SR-71 which correct designation should have been RS-71 but LBJ stuffed it when announcing its existence and NASA wasn't game to correct the Pres. Fuel was specially made and virtually fire-proof as flash-point exceeded 1,000 degrees. 4,000 odd missiles were fired at Blackbirds, no hits, evasion technique - accelerate and outrun. And that's without viewing the video!

The second "E-type" of the sky! The first being the "Spitfire"!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Snooze and pvsampson like this.
  3. borked

borked Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat Grand Society Group Buy Associate Da Menth Heads

Saddest part, not a single one is flight ready condition these days :(

Read that all spare parts were destroyed, along with the moulds, instruction manuals etc, to preserve the secret information.
    Millitary should of at least kept a few flight ready for air shows ...

4. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Staff Member Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail

I went to IWM Duxford a few years back, not particularly to look at the aircraft but more the tanks. I remember being surprised at how impacted I was by the 'Blackbird' they had. There was something very special about this aircraft.

lerenau likes this.
  5. 58RW

58RW Member

My Dad lives only a few hundred metres from Duxford Airfield in the village of Ickleton

Mark1966 likes this.
  6. borked

borked Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat Grand Society Group Buy Associate Da Menth Heads

Designed by hand, not computer is a big factor for me.
    True craftsmanship.

Mark1966 likes this.
  7. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

THAT's what I forgot about the SR-71; hand designed on draftsman boards, no CAD in those days. I recall reading that the NASA moon missions were "powered" by the equivalent of three Commodore 64s! Hands up those who remember them :LOL: . C'mon be honest!

Mark1966 likes this.
  8. lerenau

lerenau ...is a cheeky monkey

Cassette drives are de 'shizzle. (y)

Mark1966 likes this.
  9. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Staff Member Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail

Commodore 64! Luxury man

[​IMG]

Would be before your time @lerenau !

10. lerenau

lerenau ...is a cheeky monkey

Nope! Some of my earliest memories were playing with the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, and later the Amiga 500.
    I must have been about 3-4 years old.

... I'm currently waiting on a NES and a SNES for my 4yo.
    If she likes them I'll get her a Switch for Christmas. :borg:

Bucephalus and Mark1966 like this.
  11. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

You guys win HANDS DOWN. I recall my first word-processing software was WordPerfect 5. Anyone recall what Shift F7 gave you?

12. Mark1966

Nope, not anymore - but I was WAY slower when I moved from 5.1 to Word ...

EDIT: Your can still get it!!!!! https://www.wordperfect.com/en/

13. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

Still get it? Blimey, an oldie but a goodie hm?

14. Scotty

Scotty Member 2018 Sabbatical

The good old vic20!!! The hours I spent typing in game code from magazines and copying stuff (tape to tape) on 2 seperate stand alone cassette recorders ~ all good fun being nice and quiet so the recording wouldn't get corrupted!

Mark1966 likes this.
  15. tim33z

tim33z Member 2018 Sabbatical Fail

What was the way to load a game?
    *load,8,1 or something?

16. Scotty

Scotty Member 2018 Sabbatical

It was too long ago to remember the exact procedure, was only a youngster back then :)

There was a load command you typed then had to press play on the tape machine.... after that it would eventually load up if the data was read properly.

My parents didn't have a hifi with a double cassette player so couldn't copy too many games or make backups. It was always a bit touch and go doing an audio recording from different machines but worked ok from what I remember.

You'd get free games and program data tapes stuck on the front of computer magazines and always loads of code inside to type in by hand.... quite a procedure :)

Mark1966 likes this.