Not shave related but very interesting.

Four types; A-12, YF-12A, M-21 and SR-71 which correct designation should have been RS-71 but LBJ stuffed it when announcing its existence and NASA wasn't game to correct the Pres. Fuel was specially made and virtually fire-proof as flash-point exceeded 1,000 degrees. 4,000 odd missiles were fired at Blackbirds, no hits, evasion technique - accelerate and outrun. And that's without viewing the video!

The second "E-type" of the sky! The first being the "Spitfire"!

Last edited:
Saddest part, not a single one is flight ready condition these days :(

Read that all spare parts were destroyed, along with the moulds, instruction manuals etc, to preserve the secret information.
Millitary should of at least kept a few flight ready for air shows ...

I went to IWM Duxford a few years back, not particularly to look at the aircraft but more the tanks. I remember being surprised at how impacted I was by the 'Blackbird' they had. There was something very special about this aircraft.

I went to IWM Duxford a few years back, not particularly to look at the aircraft but more the tanks. I remember being surprised at how impacted I was by the 'Blackbird' they had. There was something very special about this aircraft.
My Dad lives only a few hundred metres from Duxford Airfield in the village of Ickleton

Designed by hand, not computer is a big factor for me.
True craftsmanship.

Designed by hand, not computer is a big factor for me.
True craftsmanship.

THAT's what I forgot about the SR-71; hand designed on draftsman boards, no CAD in those days. I recall reading that the NASA moon missions were "powered" by the equivalent of three Commodore 64s! Hands up those who remember them :LOL: . C'mon be honest!

THAT's what I forgot about the SR-71; hand designed on draftsman boards, no CAD in those days. I recall reading that the NASA moon missions were "powered" by the equivalent of three Commodore 64s! Hands up those who remember them :LOL: . C'mon be honest!

Commodore 64! Luxury man

vic-20-1920x.jpg

Would be before your time @lerenau !

Commodore 64! Luxury man

vic-20-1920x.jpg

Nope! Some of my earliest memories were playing with the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, and later the Amiga 500.
I must have been about 3-4 years old.

... I'm currently waiting on a NES and a SNES for my 4yo.
If she likes them I'll get her a Switch for Christmas. :borg:

Commodore 64! Luxury man

vic-20-1920x.jpg

The good old vic20!!! The hours I spent typing in game code from magazines and copying stuff (tape to tape) on 2 seperate stand alone cassette recorders ~ all good fun being nice and quiet so the recording wouldn't get corrupted!

What was the way to load a game?
*load,8,1 or something?

It was too long ago to remember the exact procedure, was only a youngster back then :)

There was a load command you typed then had to press play on the tape machine.... after that it would eventually load up if the data was read properly.

My parents didn't have a hifi with a double cassette player so couldn't copy too many games or make backups. It was always a bit touch and go doing an audio recording from different machines but worked ok from what I remember.

You'd get free games and program data tapes stuck on the front of computer magazines and always loads of code inside to type in by hand.... quite a procedure :)