October 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, thousands!!

..oh wait, saving. Well yes actually I am*

when the period of time is defined by being 400 years or more.

Perfect lawyer answer (always read the fine print) :)

Interesting, I didn't know there were different tooth configurations. I've counted mine now, only 13. Do you know if the 17 were earlier, later or made in a different factory?
Think later and generally gold toned. Will have to do more research on that. Couple of NOS out there that may shed more light on them.

22104649_1699954353350329_8735758973779616701_o.jpg

Brush: hjm, boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
Blade: Gem Micromatic

Sliding seamlessly from SEptember to OCtober with the Micromatic SE/OC.

Great lather from the MWF, love that soap.
The vintage blade is finished, I had to swap sides after one pass, was a good blade. I forget how many uses it had.
A classic Finnish with the Old Spice and all is well.

Have a great Sunday​

Actually have one but never got around to using it. Now that OCtober is here and it's OC month can I use it? As it isn't a true open comb in my definition I'll have to wait a little longer :whistle:

23638260588_bbb9f4a374_b.jpg

Mail call... Lea was used this morning and really enjoyed it. Eufros Rosa is just incredible & SV Felce Aromatica really didn't have much of a scent on this one. I've scraped back a layer and got a little more scent with a trial lather, but still minimal. Great performance as with all SV soaps though.

Think later and generally gold toned. Will have to do more research on that. Couple of NOS out there that may shed more light on them.

Actually have one but never got around to using it. Now that OCtober is here and it's OC month can I use it? As it isn't a true open comb in my definition I'll have to wait a little longer :whistle:
Thanks, I'll have to look more closely in the future. No, I'm afraid it can't be counted as an OC, you'll have to wait for the end of the month!

So I went to an auction and picked up the following lot for $50. I hadn't had a chance to see the straights out of their cases and perhaps overpaid :) The OC Feather is in great condition with no bent teeth. Can you guys help me work out what I've got and by how much I let my excitement overpay. Hahaha.

20171005_012607.jpg

The Feather with Old Style OC head...
20171005_012638.jpg

20171005_012736.jpg

20171005_012750.jpg

And then the two straights that can even open. This is the Palmer...
20171005_012842.jpg

This is the Harmonie...
20171005_012834.jpg

Last edited:
SV Felce Aromatica really didn't have much of a scent on this one

It's funny as I found the same thing (brand new puck), indicating that either it does not have a strong nose or we have some anosmia to the AC's used to make it although snooze bought my puck and he really likes it.

So I went to an auction and picked up the following lot for $50. I hadn't had a chance to see the straights out of their cases and perhaps overpaid :) The OC Feather is in great condition with no bent teeth. Can you guys help me work out what I've got and by how much I let my excitement overpay. Hahaha.

20171005_012607.jpg

The Feather with Old Style OC head...
20171005_012638.jpg

20171005_012736.jpg

20171005_012750.jpg

And then the two straights that can even open. This is the Palmer...
20171005_012842.jpg

This is the Harmonie...
20171005_012834.jpg

DE looks nice... I am no expert but probably $25 there?

The straights are in very average condition. Black scaled looks the best condition hone wear wise, but worst in rust. The top left white scaled one is clean, but has significant hone wear, but not enough to make it unshaveable. The bottom looks to have broken scales so junk however you do not show the blade condition. It has some significant rust up high, but if the edge is good, I would put it into the top left white scales after a clean up. I've cleaned up and used worse so maybe $5-10 for the black scaled, and same for the combined white scaled. That gives you $25+20= $45 worth. By my reckoning you have overpaid by $5!? Put the razors under a scope and see what is happening rust wise on the edge. You could well find no matter how much new steel you expose you expose rust along with it. In that case, the razor is junk.

In the end I like to think of things like this:
Was it worth the gamble? Probably. Was it fun? Will it be enjoyable cleaning them up, swapping scales? It would be for me... so if nothing else you could get (have got) a few hours of entertainment and skill development. Is that worth $50? People pay $75 for a meal at a couple of drinks at a restaurant. A movie here is $25! Go wake boarding for an hour is $75 etc.

Today is my birthday and the lady wife bought me an ATT m2 razor with an additional R 2 plate

By sheer luck Aust Post managed to drop it of today.
I love the M 2 and tomorrow will try the R 2,as I only need one razor, yes yes sacrilege I know
The razor is a keeper but more importantly so is she.

Today is my birthday and the lady wife bought me an ATT m2 razor with an additional R 2 plate

I love the M 2 and tomorrow will try the R 2,as I only need one razor, yes yes sacrilege I know

Absolutely a keeper - and happy birthday mate!

Lucky man, Happy Birthday @tullfan ! What handle did you get?

DE looks nice... I am no expert but probably $25 there?

The straights are in very average condition. Black scaled looks the best condition hone wear wise, but worst in rust. The top left white scaled one is clean, but has significant hone wear, but not enough to make it unshaveable. The bottom looks to have broken scales so junk however you do not show the blade condition. It has some significant rust up high, but if the edge is good, I would put it into the top left white scales after a clean up. I've cleaned up and used worse so maybe $5-10 for the black scaled, and same for the combined white scaled. That gives you $25+20= $45 worth. By my reckoning you have overpaid by $5!? Put the razors under a scope and see what is happening rust wise on the edge. You could well find no matter how much new steel you expose you expose rust along with it. In that case, the razor is junk.

In the end I like to think of things like this:
Was it worth the gamble? Probably. Was it fun? Will it be enjoyable cleaning them up, swapping scales? It would be for me... so if nothing else you could get (have got) a few hours of entertainment and skill development. Is that worth $50? People pay $75 for a meal at a couple of drinks at a restaurant. A movie here is $25! Go wake boarding for an hour is $75 etc.

Thanks for all the great info!

Happy birthday mate

Happy birthday, @tullfan (y)

Happy Birthday @tullfan - wonderful present (y)

It's funny as I found the same thing (brand new puck), indicating that either it does not have a strong nose or we have some anosmia to the AC's used to make it although snooze bought my puck and he really likes it.
That is interesting - I found the Felce Aromatica to be quite a strong and extremely pleasant scent (although slightly different to the matching balm). My 18 year old daughter also thought it was a fantastic scent (which is unusual as she dislikes most of my shaving soaps :whistle:). As always I guess everyones nose is different. We sampled the Eufros and and a few other soaps I picked up from @todras and she voted the Felce the clear winner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.