Odins Beard Shaving Soap

Errol

Razor Review Guru
Odins Beard Shaving Soap

I picked this tub of Odins Beard Shaving Soap up about one month ago at the Sunday morning markets in Port Douglas. At that time, I was doing the Arko August thing and put testing the Odins Beard off till the first shave in September. As I’ve mentioned previously, I have a very poor sense of smell so I’m not really qualified to describe the scent but to me it’s quite pleasant, but please don’t rely on my assessment.

My method of producing a lather is to whip a moist brush on the top of the puck, get a lather built up and then further build the lather up on my face. The purists may shake their head in disbelief but it works for me so that’s exactly how I went about the testing. When I screwed the lid off the jar the soap was hard, had a waxy feel and an opaque colour (sort of looked like Vaseline). There are seven brushes lined up that are in regular use, so I grabbed the Paladin, it was closest. After trying to whip up a lather for about four times more than I did with the Arko, I had a bit of froth built up, kept trying but the amount of froth hardly increased. I’ll try and build something on my face; well that worked to a certain extent so I might be away; check the razor is screwed down tight; warmed it under the tap; shave away. Halfway through the first pass the remaining froth disappeared so I finished the first pass off on the residue. After that piss poor effort, I screwed the lid back on the Odins Beard Shaving Soap, never to be used again. I haven’t binned it yet but as I’m struggling to find something it might be good for; I’m thinking its days of cluttering my desk are numbered.

I bought 2 of Odin soaps at Yungaburra markets last week. Tried one of the soaps twice. Such a small jar, and full to the top, I couldn’t get a good soap load on the brush first time round, and didn’t get a satisfying lather. Second go around I scooped out a little, (see little) and pressed into base of the bowl for a full brush, but didn’t get there again. At the time I bought them I asked the guy if they were made with tallow, he said no. I told him the tabac story and said if he wanted to do well with enthusiastic shavers, he should think about it. Not giving up on them yet because I’m on the road. When I get home and have all my facilities at hand to go hard on the soap, I’ll decide then if it’s something to continue with. Until then, I have 8 other soaps and 3 razors to get me home. Bought some vintage str8’s and a couple old Gillette (including a slim adjustable) while up here in the north. Bush camping in total isolation at Bramston Beach at the moment. Beautifullllllllll………