Review Ogallala bay rum opinions

I can chime in as well, I have the Ogallala Lime and peppercorn, top scent and great face feel.
It does burn a little upon application, but the burn is worth while. Leaves your skin feeling great afterwards.

I got mine through www.bayrum.com.au as well.

I was so impressed with the scent of the Bay Rum, Lime and Peppercorn that I ordered the 'Bonanza' sample pack of 5 aftershaves this morning for $29.95. I will post a review when I have had a chance to give them a proper evaluation.

I have a 5% Discount code on my next order, if anyone wants to try using it PM me and I will send it to you.

Sorry, the price was $49.95 not $29.95 as originally posted!

it looks like beyrum.com.au is gone.... an unhappy customer posted on their Facebook about not receiving the item.
I got some Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap from the USA for Christmas and it has turned out to be rather good. Its a shame you cannot get it here. I was wanting to try their Sandalwood and Sweet Orange soaps as well...
This Morning the soap performed better than the Proraso blue I have been using recently you just need to add a little water to the brush for each pass. Also it seems to have conditioned my badger brush its now all soft and fluffy where before it was looking rather manky. I had the closest shave I have had yet...

I will continue to use it all this week and see what happens i think.

Email with John @ Ogallala

"Hi again, Mark. It appears as though the site in Australia is no more as I get returned emails when trying to contact that vendor. The big problem we have in getting a new seller down under or anywhere overseas, is that a few years back the US postal service said aftershaves and colognes can no longer be sent overseas via US mail. That frankly is the only practical means of delivery. We were sending the goods sold by the apparently now defunct seller to a US address and he had a means to get them to Australia. Now apparently that is no longer available.
I did contact West Coast Shaving http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ (one of our biggest vendors). While they cannot ship the aftershaves or colognes, they do still ship most of our other products such as soaps, shave soaps, etc.
I wish I had better news for you, but that postal regulation more or less killed our international sales. Before that point, we had shipped product to 42 different countries.
Thanks for your past business and hopefully you can still find some of the products you like through West Coast Shaving!

All the best,
John
Ogallala Bay Rum"

Email with John @ Ogallala

"... a few years back the US postal service said aftershaves and colognes can no longer be sent overseas via US mail. That frankly is the only practical means of delivery. ..."

Interesting. I wonder how St John's get away with it. Every order I have had from them comes by USPS.

It makes me so glad I bought full sized bottles last year, even with the oil separation issues that I fixed with poly-20.

Yes, makes me think I might have to get some when I'm in the US ..,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if @shavetheman might want to pick the range up, it's a fantastic Bay Rum scent with some very good variations (Lime/Peppercorns, Sage, etc) ??
How do the suppliers get around the alcohol restrictions on shipping splashes? Do they send large shipments by sea? Or are there exemptions for trade quantities?
Just dont quite see why bayrum.com.au couldnt use those options if they exist?
Of course the business may just be non-viable - I noted on their website last year the business was up for sale.

How do the suppliers get around the alcohol restrictions on shipping splashes? Do they send large shipments by sea? Or are there exemptions for trade quantities?
Just dont quite see why bayrum.com.au couldnt use those options if they exist?
Of course the business may just be non-viable - I noted on their website last year the business was up for sale.

You can arrange hazardous materials shipment through the freight companies, FedEx, DHL, Toll etc BUT the additional cost is significant. Putting a container together means a LOT of stuff. Either way, not for the faint hearted!

The process starts with a full analysis of what's actually going to be shipped, the compounds, volatility etc and whether each country permits the compounds contained within. You then apply for permits and a license as @Mark1966 mentioned, it is a very administratively expensive exercise. You then have to use a carrier that will ship hazardous or flammable materials and they are not cheap due to the nature of the cargo - aside from the requirement of glass bottles for the alcohol adding extra weight to the consignment equating to extra cost.

As mark said, not for the faint hearted - it's furiously expensive.

The process starts with a full analysis of what's actually going to be shipped, the compounds, volatility etc and whether each country permits the compounds contained within. You then apply for permits and a license as @Mark1966 mentioned, it is a very administratively expensive exercise. You then have to use a carrier that will ship hazardous or flammable materials and they are not cheap due to the nature of the cargo - aside from the requirement of glass bottles for the alcohol adding extra weight to the consignment equating to extra cost.

As mark said, not for the faint hearted - it's furiously expensive.
Thanks @Mark1966 and @todras - the process does sound exorbitantly expensive and time consuming. Just sad to see another shave supplier throw in the towel - Im sure the shipping issues wouldn't have helped.

Why not raise this issue with Gifts&Care and see if they can supply Ogallala product, because I have no issue with Gifts&Care at all getting aftershave or cologne that contains alcohol shipping to Australia. So why not raise the issue with @Gifts&Care.com and see what they can do to supply Ogallala product for Australian costumers.

Why not raise this issue with Gifts&Care and see if they can supply Ogallala product, because I have no issue with Gifts&Care at all getting aftershave or cologne that contains alcohol shipping to Australia. So why not raise the issue with @Gifts&Care.com and see what they can do to supply Ogallala product for Australian costumers.

The trouble is getting the products out of the US. It doesn't matter where it comes via.

Would it be viable to import the base fragrance "accord" (prob wrong use of the word) without any alcohol in bulk and dilute with alcohol, Polysorb and then bottle once in Australia?
Would also be much less in terms of shipping as less volume with glass bottles and alcohol weight etc.

Would it be viable to import the base fragrance "accord" (prob wrong use of the word) without any alcohol in bulk and dilute with alcohol, Polysorb and then bottle once in Australia?
Would also be much less in terms of shipping as less volume with glass bottles and alcohol weight etc.

Yea but you would need someone who knows what they are doing in the other end. I am also not sure if the makers would feel comfortable sending stuff out without been 100% confidant in the result. After all it would have their name one it.

Last edited by a moderator: