OMG rash what do I do

JugV2

Simply boring.
Well this is the first Doctor's Office thread.

Evidently we are all such expert shavers we don't ever have problems!

Except me.

I am using a lovely badger brush, Cella soap and EJ razor. No problems there.

I have used Gillette Rubies for the past week and have a rotten looking rash about an inch deep like a ribbon around the bottom of my neck. I know Razormonsta posted about the fake rubies but these are ridgy-didge.

I am using Nivea Clear on my face and neck in the shower as prep, the skin is very well lubricated and I am loading my brush in the bowl then face lathering. The soap is thick and creamy on my face; no drips or sliders.

I used a new blade and got a rash and for the life of me can't explain why - this is the third blade out of the same pack and the other two have been great.

In fact, looking at my skin and face in general after noticing my rash, I can clearly see stubble, and it feels like I have barely shaved at all.

How is it possible that a mid-pack blade can be a dud? Has anyone else had that happen to them?

FWIW I do three passes; WTG, XTG and ATG on mostly every shave.

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

C`mon fellow, photos or detail please. Can we eliminate razor burn, ingrowns? Anything new product wise? How soon after changing blades did it start? What have you tried to fix it?
FWIW I have formulated a new/old remedy for razor burn and rashes in general,
4:1 water and vinegar with a few drops of Lavender oil. Smell goes pretty quickly as it dries, also works as general toner after shaving in place of Witch Hazel or proprietary toner. I have seen this same mix take the bite out of Box Jelly stings on kids in the NT.

Oh and just ask SWMBO if we are using new washing powder?

Fair enough.

I have never had ingrown hairs in my life and I don't feel it is razor burn.

I have recently started using Cella - had it around a week now and I have shaved with it every day with no problems.

IMAG0144.jpg

Hope you can see what I mean here. (had to use my Desire as the Canon is tactically hidden in the man cave)

So since January this year I have not had this issue.

I have just started using Cella a week ago - but have used Valobra prior to that with no issues, and the Cella has not had an adverse effect in the week I have been using it.

Yesterday I opened a new Rubie from the same pack I have been using all week and voila got this rash.

To remedy this I have used some calendula tincture to dry it out and settle the skin down. I have also been keeping the skin clean and dry.

The two new items in my shave - soap and blade.

FWIW I don't use powder in the washing machine.

I lived in the NT for 17 years and I know how good vinegar is on boxies.

Just give me all your gear. Wet shaving is just not your thing. Stick to swimming with jelly fish.

I know, I should just pop it all in a bag and mail it off to you Pjotr.

Clearly out of my league.

I know, I should just pop it all in a bag and mail it off to you Pjotr.

Clearly out of my league.

You've got a $130 badger brush. PJ wouldn't bother with anything as classy as that. Send him a dish scrubber, he'll think it's a fat boar with a supersized handle...

I assumed he uses a basting brush to shave with...

You can get some really nice basting brushes these days.

A basting brush. They've got long, soft bristles of some sort. What a great idea! I'll do that one day and post some pictures for all you brush snobs out there.

A basting brush. They've got long, soft bristles of some sort. What a great idea! I'll do that one day and post some pictures for all you brush snobs out there.

Anyone who doesn't use a basting brush or dish scrubber is a brush snob?

Looks like those hoity toity $20 boars are in for a bashing.

Back to subject of rashes. Whilst it appears that it could be the blade I've heard of people having an allergic reaction to Cella and attribute this to the almond scent (assuming of course that the scent is actually naturally derived and not some chemical ingredient). I think amongst people with alllergies to nut, almonds are considered pretty nasty. Just seems strange that you're getting something like that out of the blue. If it was the blade, wouldn't you have noticed it during the shave?

I think if it was the soap I would have definitely had a reaction after or even during the first shave.

I didn't notice anything during the shave that would have indicated a rash or anything amiss.

I opened a pack of Sharks yesterday mornign and had my second shave today with the same blade, it feels a lot smoother and no irritation. Same brush, same soap.

This is true but allergies might not necessarily show immediately. Not that I know much about allergic reactions.

I'm still using the soap and the rash is rapidly disipating.

All I did was change the blade to a Shark so it was evidently a dud blade as you suggested, Drubbing.

Offloding 500G of Cella wouldn't be a problem, I have a couple mates who would gladly take it and I am sure I could PIF some on this forum.

Oh I got it...don't worry about that.

I'm surprised no one has offered to give a second opinion on the Cella and it's allergenic properties.

First thought is blade could be off/dud, although the genuine Rubies I have found to be good, HOWEVER they do seem to irritate me towards the end of the blade life (if I go for a 4th shave). I also find that shaving with them for a period of time also tends to give irritation (I am talking 3 weeks/3 blades worth).

Second thought is that Cella does not work well with that particular razor/blade combo.

Currently on a Gillette Goal in the Slim, will replace it with a White Platinum in the morning. Very little irritation with the Goal, sharp blade but not all together smooth yet lacking roughness. Love how the blade sings too.