ON SALE! Cheap bottles of booze

Those prices are expensive, if they are good prices, what are they normally selling for?
Cragganmore usually sells for $90 + here.

My fave is JW Green and normal sell price is $85. I grab it when it's reduced to $65. Still expensive, but we're a fair way from Scotland. Plus, we're getting reamed by importers and retailers. It's an Australian thing.

It's the trade off for the sun, sand, weather, prawns, beer, and bikini girls...

Laga under AUD$100 happens pretty regularly, last time Dan's had it for $96 instead of $116. Only time I buy it.

Cragganmore is indeed a good price, and since Dan's will beat these then you will be able to get these 5/10c lower there.

They beat it, not by much. Still useful if a Dan's is more convenient.

Some good deals round for EOFY - GoodDrop is doing Jura at decent prices. Not much of a fan of it as like the sister dram Dalmore, the official bottlings are heavily chill filtered and coloured.

Vintage Cellars is doing Nikka from the Barrel at $65, and Yamazaki 12 at $179. The Yama 12 should be in every whisky lover's collection.

Dan's member offers until 30th June are Aberfeldy 12 @ $65 and Talisker 10 @ $70 (was $72, someone else dropped the price on special!).

Liqorland has Dalwhinnie 15 @ $70, Glenlivet 15 at $85, and Lagavaulin 8yo (special 200th Anniversary) for $80 which is matched at Dans.

Last edited:
Those prices are expensive, if they are good prices, what are they normally selling for?
Usually another $20 on top of that!

£50 is normal price in Tesco right now, which would equate to around $85 here.

And it looks like the Territory government has legislated against Dan Murphy's ever coming up here, so I can just sit here and drool at the prices I see people down south paying.

Okay, new month and new member deals at Dan's... Unfortunately it's a bit crap this month, best bet is Kalavan taiwanese whisky, usually $129 but there's a member offer for $110 which is a solid saving. Also Tullamore Dew ($38, usually $47), Russian Standard Gold ($38, normally $44) & El Jimador Resposado ($38, usually $45). Normal member offer purchase limits apply.

They also have Chivas 25yo ($375, usually $399) which is not worth the money. Ouside of that are some oddballs - Jägermeister Spiced Liqueur (haven't had it, but most of these 'spiced' products taste like crap) for $30 where it's normally $45. Mozart Chocolate cream 500ml in both Gold Chocolate or White Chocolate/Strawberry at $25 (usually $34). Also there's a 'Oriental Spiced Gin' under the 'Ophir' brand which is $50 (usually $59) but see my previous 'spiced' comment.

You can also get some savings codes when buying from Coles Online and using 'click and collect' from a nearby store. Lagavaulin is $99 (usually $129 via Coles/Liquorland) and you can get $20 off a $100 spend with the code 'KINDERLING'. So add a $1 product like a choclate bar and get your Lagavaulin 16 for $80. Schweet!

You can also stack code 'Click10' (first order only, must click&collect, not delivery) and you get $30 off a $120 spend. This opens up some nice deals:

$70 bottles (buy any 2, $30 discount = $110 ($55/bottle):
Hendricks Gin $70
Dalwhinnie 15 $70 (I recommend)
Johnnie Green $70

$65 bottles (buy any 2, $30 discount = $100 ($50/bottle):

Tanqueray No.10 $65
Grey Goose $65
Glenfiddich 12 $65

Other specials:
Jameson Irish Whiskey (1L) $60
J.P. Wiser's Pike Creek 750mL $55
Woodford Reserve $55
Auchentoshan American Oak $55

Any bourbons there worth a try?
Just tried my first cooking bourbon, and discovered it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so might be worth trying a nicer one.

Bearing in mind Nicks, Dans, and first choice are not up here, so my choices are going to be limited.

Any bourbons there worth a try?
Just tried my first cooking bourbon, and discovered it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so might be worth trying a nicer one.

Bearing in mind Nicks, Dans, and first choice are not up here, so my choices are going to be limited.
Be keen to hear replies to this one. I got sick on Beam white when I was 16 and have avoided Bourbons ever since (with the occasional Makers in there from time to time). Got given a bottle of Beam Double Oak yesterday at work and don't mind it.

Couple of options if anyone can tell me if it's worth it (I can see they're good prices compared to stores, but don't know if they're worth it)
Knot Creek Rye - $45
Makers Mark 46 - $50
Couple of scotches I haven't had much to do with
Laphroaig Select Cask - $37
Highland Park Leif Eriksson - $77

MM 46 is a good price, but never tried it. I do like Makers when I go bourbon though.

Knob creek is one of the nicest Bourbons I've tried, but Rye is a different spicier, drier beast - it's sort of a halfway house between Scotch and Bourbon. My only expereince of Rye was Wild Turkey and I thought that was awful.

I need someone to help me finish the stuff in the cabinet so I can try more Whisky.

I need someone to help me finish the stuff in the cabinet so I can try more Whisky.
I will be right there....

That Tanqueray No 10 is pretty Exxy.
If you mean in relation to my post, this is the 'No.10' at $50/btl in a 2-bottle buy. It's not the run-of-the-mill Tanq you buy everywhere. Dan's is $62.95 for the same thing, but it was a shitload cheaper in Vanuatu.

And @eggbert - really hard to know what is available up there to know what to recommend. I will agree with Knob Creek, Bookers and also Bakers. All a definite step up in price and quality to the 'regular swill' of Beam/JD/Turkey. There would probably fly around $100 at times but I think they would be hard to come by in the top end.

A couple I like in the 'mid market' are George Dickel (No.12 preferable to the 8, both good, easy drinking and mixable), Woodford Reserve would be in the same area of price. AFAIK Woolworths should be carrying these nationally so BWS will have them. Blantons Single Barrel (green) should be in the same price bracket, and Beam 'Bonded' is a far superior product and don't tar it with the same brush as you have with other Beams.

I'd recommend a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 yo if you can find it up there. Costs about $80 down here but plays with the $120 bottles.

And since I haven't had the chance to update you all since I went to Malaysia for 4 days, came back with the following from Duty Free:
  • Glen Garioch 15yo Sherry Cask. An absolute stormer, a bit expensive though.
  • Bruichladdich 8yo 'The Laddie' unpeated.
  • Bakers Bourbon. From the house of Beam like many others.

Last edited:
And @eggbert - really hard to know what is available up there to know what to recommend. I will agree with Knob Creek, Bookers and also Bakers. All a definite step up in price and quality to the 'regular swill' of Beam/JD/Turkey. There would probably fly around $100 at times but I think they would be hard to come by in the top end.

A couple I like in the 'mid market' are George Dickel (No.12 preferable to the 8, both good, easy drinking and mixable), Woodford Reserve would be in the same area of price. AFAIK Woolworths should be carrying these nationally so BWS will have them. Blantons Single Barrel (green) should be in the same price bracket, and Beam 'Bonded' is a far superior product and don't tar it with the same brush as you have with other Beams.

I'd recommend a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 yo if you can find it up there. Costs about $80 down here but plays with the $120 bottles.
These are my choices at the posher bottlo in town https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/Spirits?facets=spiritproducttype=Bourbon&show=50. I have also seen Blantons, Woodford, and Turkey101 a BWS

Not much choice, it's all the big boys brands.

Knob Creek for sure, but no bargain there. Needs a dash of water to calm the high alcohol and let the flavour out. Most of the rest are mixers.