ON SALE! Cheap bottles of booze

Grabbed one to replace my bottle of Dettol that's running out.
Thanks for the heads up :)

I've actually given up on Nicks - $75 minimum delivery to the NT, so I've got to start looking at mybottleshop.com.au where shipping is $10 max, or free for over $200!

Doesn't $200+ results in free shipping to NT?

Nicks is good for the indie bottlings of harder to get distilleries. They stock a heap of Douglas Laing, Adelphi, Old Malt Cask, Gordon & Phail, plus Signatory and many smaller ones. There is often a number of bargains there on the direct imports.

MBS has some great stuff too, but the is a heap of high-end (and priced) official bottlings which often aren't as good as an non-chill filtered, uncoloured bottling like you get with an independent.

https://gooddrop.com.au also has some good bottles, and probably are in that 'slightly better than Dans/BWS' kind of area. They stock a heap of brands that are not in general circulation but are very good value for money, and often have some good specials too.

Nicks is good for the indie bottlings of harder to get distilleries. They stock a heap of Douglas Laing, Adelphi, Old Malt Cask, Gordon & Phail, plus Signatory and many smaller ones. There is often a number of bargains there on the direct imports.

MBS has some great stuff too, but the is a heap of high-end (and priced) official bottlings which often aren't as good as an non-chill filtered, uncoloured bottling like you get with an independent.

https://gooddrop.com.au also has some good bottles, and probably are in that 'slightly better than Dans/BWS' kind of area. They stock a heap of brands that are not in general circulation but are very good value for money, and often have some good specials too.
I'd seen Gooddrop but wasn't sure what shipping costs would be with them, but now I see free shipping Aus wide over Easter I'm on to it.

Any whiskies under the hundred mark to be recommended?
https://gooddrop.com.au/offers/most-loved-whiskies/

or rums for that matter?
https://gooddrop.com.au/spirits/rum/

My picks would be the Glenfarclas 15yo (105 is also fantastic but Nicks has a better deal on it)
Dalmore 12yo is another nice sherry cask finish.

The laphroaig quarter cask is an option if you are into peat.

My picks would be the Glenfarclas 15yo (105 is also fantastic but Nicks has a better deal on it)
Dalmore 12yo is another nice sherry cask finish.

The laphroaig quarter cask is an option if you are into peat.
Peat is what put me off whisky for most of my adult life.
As Nick's 105 isn't available to me, would you suggest the 105 or the 15yo?

Peat is what put me off whisky for most of my adult life.
As Nick's 105 isn't available to me, would you suggest the 105 or the 15yo?

The 15yo is much more refined compared to the 105 which is a bit of a brute as its cask strength and much younger. Glenfarclas is one of the last family run distilleries from my understanding which appeals to me. I think the 15yo at dans is around $130? So sub 100 is a good deal.

Glenfarclas 15 over the 105 any day, and I like the 105 as it is excellent value from Nicks in the 1 Litre, but not so cheap everywhere else. The 15 is much more refined and should be in every whisky drinker's collection as possibly the standout best 'standard job' whisky that is sherry-aged. Family-owned means they really do care about what they put out and the 15 is definite quality. If you can find higher than 15yo at good prices then try to stretch to them if you can. There's a 17yo bottled for the travel market which is a step up, and I think it is actually better than their standard 18yo bottling when I tasted back to back.The 25yo is amazing.

One of the ones you might like is Dalwhinnie. It's a Highland which gets some salty/mineral notes to it while not getting the peat like an Islay produced dram. It's got those nice warm cereal & malt notes too, along with citrus/vanilla from ex-bourbon American Oak casks. I'd also mention the Cardhu 12 which is the most popular single malt in Spain, allegedly because it goes well with the weather there. Since you are in Darwin......

I will just mention that I hated peated whiskies in my late teenage years and early twenties, but love them now. Your taste buds do change as you age and could be missing out on quite a few excellent whiskies if you do not continue to try or test some new ones. For a really light peat, I would suggest the Bruichladdich 'The Laddie Ten' which is unpeated but aged in second/third fill barrels that held peated whisky. It gives that whisp of smoke but nothing more. If you can get used to that then something like Springbank 10 or even Caol Ila 12 might be able to open you up to a whole new world of whiskies.

Personally not that much into Dalmore as they chill filter to hell, and then dump E150 into it. Some of the higher ones are good (25, Cigar Malt, King Alexander) but you pay through the nose for them. There are too many better bottles to buy for less money in my opinion.

I bought 3 bottles of the Stromae..... :censored:

And that wasn't all.

Well do tell!

In that newsletter I'm tempted by -

Aberlour 16 Year Old Double Cask Matured Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)

md_3740.jpg

Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)

md_3740.jpg

Glengoyne 15 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)

md_3740.jpg

Old Pulteney Stroma Malt Whisky Liqueur (500ml)

md_3740.jpg