ON SALE! Cheap bottles of booze

As I can't now edit my earlier post, that ralfys reviews youtube page was more entertaining than I thought it would be. At first I found some of the descriptors annoying but after about the 10th video I found myself watching I was starting to wonder where you could get some of these lesser known hhwhiskys from.

He has no filter - zero bullshit accepted. Authentic character also. I'd buy him a bottle anyday, a small amount to pay back in what he has given me in terms of education. Similar to Horst Luening over at whisky.com - for guys starting out it's a great idea to get the same bottle and drink it with them.

I'd look for an Aussie bottle that he would have a hard time trying to get. Bakery Hill maybe? Iniquity?

One of the Port-matured Black Gates might be on the money. Seems like a real Aussie-style maturation instead of sherry. There's a few Shiraz-casked bottles around too.

Going to Melbourne in November on one of the $98 returns Jetstar are offering at the moment. Will have to get a highlights list of Nicks specials at the time, and bring some back.

I'm off to the local dispensary to purchase a couple of Ralfy's recommended blends to try out.

@eggbert which ones you getting?
Don't have much choice up here, at least until Dan's opens.
Bought a Ballantines 12 year old, and was going to try a Vat 69 (as recommended below) but it is not carried up here. Both of which I've thought of as being scorned by "proper" whisky drinkers.
However, I want to try upblending (or even a flyte as per one of Ralfy's recent episodes) a cheapie to see how it changes with small amounts of better whiskys and to see if I can find a peaty whisky palatable if it is in small amounts.

So what did I get?

Ordered 10:18 Tuesday night and now in my hot little hands ...

Either I've got piss poor taste or he is talking out of his arse! I can't smell or taste 90% of the things he is talking about.
May be it needs a little air or water?

I am guessing the former :LOL:
Maybe the former. Though and maybe like @eggbert I have a very sensitive sense of smell but untrained.
It takes a while to learn scents and breaking them out of a smell.
So if they say fennel think of it before smelling the whisky. Takes time and concentration.
Enjoy the journey.

I am guessing the former :LOL:

Maybe the former. Though and maybe like @eggbert I have a very sensitive sense of smell but untrained.
So if they say fennel think of it before smelling the whisky. Takes time and concentration.
Enjoy the journey.
I kind of think this to a degree, however with coffee I can taste / smell most things that tasters mention. I can discern some of the flavours associated with Glenmoranjie but I got almost nothing except generic scotch out of the Ballantines.

But at least it gives me a starting point from which to learn.

Enjoy the journey.

I have always wondered if being a smoker or ex smoker has effected my taste and sense of smell. Like would I pick up more if I had never smoked?