ON SALE! Cheap bottles of booze

Thanks for the tips fellers. Looks like my trip has been cancelled. I was due to deploy to Solomon Islands for the AMSA oil spill response at Kangava Bay. Latest statement from DFAT suggests I won't be going.

It has been a roller coaster for three weeks expecting to be told I'm flying out any minute.

Thanks for the tips fellers. Looks like my trip has been cancelled. I was due to deploy to Solomon Islands for the AMSA oil spill response at Kangava Bay. Latest statement from DFAT suggests I won't be going.

It has been a roller coaster for three weeks expecting to be told I'm flying out any minute.
As an AMSA Air Observer, I know all about good ole hurry up and wait.

Starward make delicious whisky. It's younger than a lot of Scottish styles (our Melbourne climate results in much faster maturation in the barrel).

I find the young age of the whisky but fast absorption of barrel flavours result in intensely flavoured whiskies that can be a little harsh on the back of the palate immediately after pouring. A short rest before the first sip opens them up and they are quite extraordinary.

The price is largely a reflection on the tax paid. Over $33 in tax is paid for each and every bottle. I'm not sure when tax is paid on Aussie spirits (when it is barrelled or when it is bottled) but if it is the former then the loss of volume during the barrel process would again drive the price up. I had a look regarding the import custom duty rate vs the production excise tax but couldn't find a simple solution on short notice. I suspect (but may be completely wrong and am happy to be corrected) that we are taxing our local producers at a higher rate than we are charging for import fees on alcohol.

Other considerations that affect Starward's (and all Aussie distilleries at the moment) prices are the cost of labour, real estate and economies of scale (a lot of our distilleries are still young, small and privately owned). Australian Whisky has also been recognised as an excellent product and the increased demand has led to high prices.

TL;DR: In short it's a great drop that I would recommend especially at that price.

TL;DR: In short it's a great drop that I would recommend especially at that price.
I enjoyed my first bottle of this but am not enjoying the 2nd anywhere near as much unless I chill it to around 18 degrees.
The Deanston I've chased it down with has fantastic flavour at room temp (~30°C).

Ahh, that makes more sense I had visions of you finishing one bottle and opening the next a week or so later.

The same night and it ALL would have tasted great!

I forgot to post it, however did anyone pick up the Glenfarclas 10yo at Aldi for Fathers Day? $69 a bottle I think it was, good deal although not exceptional, but easier to get a hold of.

Some cracking Dans Member Deals this month. Oban 14 for $90 ($125 normally, cracking deal), Ardbeg An Oa $99 ($120), Lagavaulin 8 $82 ($93), Bladnoch 10 $80 ($95), Glenmorangie Lasanta $80 ($95). Any of these are worth it.

Don't buy Glenfarclas 15 from Dans, even at the member prices its far cheaper at Nicks/Vintage Direct.

Last edited:
I like the Laga 8. It is always $85 at my local bottle shop so I frequently restock. I love the Ardbegs i have tried but am scared a cheaper NAS won't be so nice.

Meanwhile Dan's still hasn't opened up here, Vintage Cellars still hasn't reopened since it burnt down over a year ago, and the arses at Nick's still want to charge $75 postage.

Last edited:
I forgot to post it, however did anyone pick up the Glenfarclas 10yo at Aldi for Fathers Day? $69 a bottle I think it was, good deal although not exceptional, but easier to get a hold of.

Some cracking Dans Member Deals this month. Oban 14 for $90 ($125 normally, cracking deal), Ardbeg An Oa $99 ($120), Lagavaulin 8 $82 ($93), Bladnoch 10 $80 ($95), Glenmorangie Lasanta $80 ($95). Any of these are worth it.

Don't buy Glenfarclas 15 from Dans, even at the member prices its far cheaper at Nicks/Vintage Direct.

The Glenfarclas 10yo is still there at my local. But I read it’s quite ordinary so did not partake.

I know that this is looking like a whisky appreciation thread, so I'll break the monotony....

Manly Spirits create an exceptionally good gin, with quite a few taste layers. Juniper is obviously the first cab off the rank, and it is a smooth, upfront punch that makes gin what it is. This is followed by a citrus taste on the out-breath, followed by a flavour that is almost salty...

I picked this one up at Dan's for about $80 for a 700mL bottle, and it was very excellent. I definitely prefer this over Tanqueray, though Tanqueray No10 has put me on my arse a couple of times. Still yet to try the bottle of We Three Kings, that Ms Naturopath keeps just out of reach....

I know that this is looking like a whisky appreciation thread, so I'll break the monotony...
Sorry you feel that way, but whisky is predominantly all that I drink these days as most beers are too carby for me.
I used to only drink white spirits, but transferred my allegiances about 18 months ago. Prefer whisky to whiskey, but am open to trying other stuff.
Talking of which I think I made a mistake yesterday in buying a bottle of Willetts Pot Still Reserve Bourbon. I didn't have my phone on me and thought I remembered that it was well regarded, but alas it isn't that well liked, and too me just tasted like a very sweet, generic bourbon. At least the bottle looks nice though,
201804119_willett_pot_still_reserve_small_batch_original.png