One step closer.

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
Hello everyone!!

As per a lot of discussion at the most recent Sydney shave meet up, I've finally sourced a RELIABLE!! Supplier for my playing equipment and solutions who isn't a rip off merchant.

I've places my order for the copper and nickel anodes and solutions so will receive those within the next 3-4 weeks via snail mail from WA and will put photos up immediately after I've done my first razor.

The first razor I will be replating will be a Gillette old type open comb aka the short tooth open comb. Stand by!!!!

Getting very excited!!!

Cool!!
Can't wait to see how it goes!
I was telling a friend about re-plating costs and he, being a materials engineer, couldn't believe the amounts people are paying to have razors plated. He confidently advised it's about 7-10 times mark-up on the cost!!

FYI. I paid $75 here in the West to have a Gillette blade container (smaller & thinner than a match-box) replated.
It looks brand new now, so good in fact, I can't bear to use it. I would be interested to know the process, as I'm sure others would also.

Cool!!
Can't wait to see how it goes!
I was telling a friend about re-plating costs and he, being a materials engineer, couldn't believe the amounts people are paying to have razors plated. He confidently advised it's about 7-10 times mark-up on the cost!!
Does that take preparation into consideration?
Being small, it requires far more attention to detail than larger items, thus labour and time.

Does that take preparation into consideration?
Being small, it requires far more attention to detail than larger items, thus labour and time.

He mentioned due to the small items, markup could be 7-10 times so I guess yes, he did take that into account.
I would presume larger, less detailed items would be even cheaper to plate.

I think the key is being a full restoration service I.E cleaning playing, setting gaps, painting numbers on adjustables, lubing the TTO mechanism etc.
I had a fatboy, tech and a aristocrat JR replated here in Canberra a few years back the whole lot cost me $30, now they won't touch them because of the work involved in cleaning them up.
I've been speaking to Dave at restored razors and to do my fatboy will be $100aud by the time postage is covered, not really cost effective but in the scheme of things not a big deal for a razor with sentimental value.

just to cover a few points.

IM NOT A RAZOR RESTORER!! I do not set gaps, re-paint, adjust teeth its simply a re-plating service or if you don't need a full re-plate I offer a tune up service.

tune up service will include and breakdown and ultrasonic clean, polish, lubricate all parts (if called for) and re-assemble.
I don't have the skills to adjust teeth or gaps yet and I will not attempt it on your razors until I'm 110% confident in my adjusting abilities.
but I am learning all I can about the special paints to re-do numbers but I also need an oven for that and they cost a lot of pennies.

prices will vary depending on razor type ie; TTO, 2 piece, three piece , tto adjustable etc etc.

at this stage ive gotten nickel down pact but that's it.
as my skills grow I hope to offer more finishes ie; Gold, black chrome, chrome, rhodium, rose gold and silver but for now its just nickel.

just to cover a few points.

IM NOT A RAZOR RESTORER!! I do not set gaps, re-paint, adjust teeth its simply a re-plating service or if you don't need a full re-plate I offer a tune up service.

tune up service will include and breakdown and ultrasonic clean, polish, lubricate all parts (if called for) and re-assemble.
I don't have the skills to adjust teeth or gaps yet and I will not attempt it on your razors until I'm 110% confident in my adjusting abilities.
but I am learning all I can about the special paints to re-do numbers but I also need an oven for that and they cost a lot of pennies.

prices will vary depending on razor type ie; TTO, 2 piece, three piece , tto adjustable etc etc.

at this stage ive gotten nickel down pact but that's it.
as my skills grow I hope to offer more finishes ie; Gold, black chrome, chrome, rhodium, rose gold and silver but for now its just nickel.

Don't know about special paints...I just sprayed some black enamel from a can into a container and used a fine paintbrush to do the numbers on a Fatboy. Just wipe off excess and looks good. usually needs a couple of coats, but looks fine.;)

Let m know when your taking on work! I'm sure I can find something that needs it :)

well i already have a slight back log of razors as @borked and @Snooze have very graciously donated a Fat boy and 40's rocket to be able to show my skills on so stand by for photos of those and you can judge whether im worthy of your business or not

PS: tony your fat boy already is broken down and cleaned....wow so much crap inside!! but luckily no pitting or broken bits

well i already have a slight back log of razors as @borked and @Snooze have very graciously donated a Fat boy and 40's rocket to be able to show my skills on so stand by for photos of those and you can judge whether im worthy of your business or not

PS: tony your fat boy already is broken down and cleaned....wow so much crap inside!! but luckily no pitting or broken bits

@the_shaving_sailor has probably been using it for inserting suppositories!

Also this is one of those times where a duller blade like a derby is preferred.