Opinion about Rex Ambassador

IMHO and not biased at all because only my opinion is so honest and not opinionated at all :)
You could not go wrong with a Mergress or Progress. I dont find the head bulky but did find the Rockwell 6 bulky
I kept a Progress in the den as a modern adjustable but do not reach for it very often. I would take @Errol's trusted advice and try the Pearl Flexi

+1 on the progress.

Started using one in 2012 and it remains one of my favorite shavers to this day!

(It's the only dial adjuster razor I kept in my den)

I checked the reviews for progress and it said that adjustment can be different from one razor to another

I thought that's the point of the 'Mergress' to iron out the inconsistencies of the Progress? The Mergress is on my list albeit a fair way down and may never actually get purchased.:) Give the Ambassador a go.

Hi all, I have & love both Rex & Progress, as stated Rex is very efficient, I like the extra blade exposure, it's my daily shaver. Progress may be a touch smoother though, IMO. If I could only keep one it would be Rex.

I second the Pearl flexi. It’s a great adjustable razor (and not just for the money) and useable throughout its range. Built like a tank. It’s a bit weighty as it’s all brass but doesn’t bother me. Artisanarcade stocks it.

I checked the reviews for progress and it said that adjustment can be different from one razor to another

It's really not an issue. Just count from where your particular unit starts. If it starts at 2, then 3 is your 1.

I've done this for years and it never bothered me because the shave from a progress is still one of the best ever!

It's bizarre how perfect the head design is, given its from 1955!!

The pearl Flexi is good (i recently got one) but if a progress is my 10/10 adjustable razor, the flexi would be 6/10 at the most... And a major part of this score is that it's made out of brass instead of zamac.
As a shaver, it can't compete with the progress.

It's really not an issue. Just count from where your particular unit starts. If it starts at 2, then 3 is your 1.

I've done this for years and it never bothered me because the shave from a progress is still one of the best ever!

It's bizarre how perfect the head design is, given its from 1955!!

The pearl Flexi is good (i recently got one) but if a progress is my 10/10 adjustable razor, the flexi would be 6/10 at the most... And a major part of this score is that it's made out of brass instead of zamac.

I had pulled the trigger on Progress and really like it.

Now you got me itching to try one.

Now you got me itching to try one.

I got mine from beard and blade for just $77 with a 10% coupon code.

This is the best price I've seen for the progress.

The flexi being made from durable brass is my travel razor as i don't want to travel with the progress. But the flexi doesn't get used at home... Cos it's really just not that great a shaver.

I have a few vintage adjustable and I like them a lot. But I tried and didn't like the Parker Variant Adjustable. It was too aggressive for me even in the mildest settings. I had Feather AS-D2 but it was too mild. So I got REX being Stainless Steel and well built. But it looks like I've to look elsewhere. I'll cancel my order. Don't want to take 300+$ gamble.

Merkur Progress was an option but I've seen reviews that due to its bulky head it is difficult to use in tight areas such as below the nose.
I have the Progress and the head is no more bulky than that of a Rockwell 6S for example. Could you be confusing the Progress with a Futur razor? Now, that does have a bulky head.

I would have thought that brass would be well above Zamak in terms of materials. The only reason I can imagine brass being bad is the weight comparatively speaking.

The Parker variant is very good too. I haven't got a progress of any sort so I can't compare the two myself but I personally wish it wasn't made of Zamak.
Curious... what model do you have of the Flexi. I've heard it is a little more comfortable than the Rex and they have made good (forgive the term) progress with their revisions. I have a Rex Ambassador and the blade feel is a little too much for my skin but I still feel its a keeper. I will have to try dial it in more.
Btw My Rex Ambassador is an O2 model at the time of getting it's arrival it was ahead of what was on offer in Australia as I had to send my first one back to Matt for some minor defects. With credit to Matt he replaced it without any fuss. An absolute top bloke IMHO.

I have wanted to buy a Flexi but i am hesitant to try one until they iron squash a few more issues and at least find a way to get the spring to stop bouncing around inside all loosely. The other thing that is stopping me is that I feel like it would be an absolute kick in the pants and refresh my feelings of buyers remorse when it shaves better than my Rex Ambassador which is kinda feel like is a backhander to all the work Matt had put in to develop such a lovely razor. The blade feel is just far too forward from what I remember and I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It sits nicely on display on my desk and every now and then I pick it up just to enjoy the feel of the handle.

The other thing that is stopping me is that I feel like it would be an absolute kick in the pants and refresh my feelings of buyers remorse when it shaves better than my Rex Ambassador which is kinda feel like is a backhander to all the work Matt had put in to develop such a lovely razor.
You could buy the most expensive razor in the world and it might not be for you, doesn't mean you can't buy something else that works better for you. Catch and release, move the Rex on and let someone else enjoy it (y)

I would have thought that brass would be well above Zamak in terms of materials. The only reason I can imagine brass being bad is the weight comparatively speaking.

The Parker variant is very good too. I haven't got a progress of any sort so I can't compare the two myself but I personally wish it wasn't made of Zamak.
Curious... what model do you have of the Flexi. I've heard it is a little more comfortable than the Rex and they have made good (forgive the term) progress with their revisions. I have a Rex Ambassador and the blade feel is a little too much for my skin but I still feel its a keeper. I will have to try dial it in more.
Btw My Rex Ambassador is an O2 model at the time of getting it's arrival it was ahead of what was on offer in Australia as I had to send my first one back to Matt for some minor defects. With credit to Matt he replaced it without any fuss. An absolute top bloke IMHO.

I have wanted to buy a Flexi but i am hesitant to try one until they iron squash a few more issues and at least find a way to get the spring to stop bouncing around inside all loosely. The other thing that is stopping me is that I feel like it would be an absolute kick in the pants and refresh my feelings of buyers remorse when it shaves better than my Rex Ambassador which is kinda feel like is a backhander to all the work Matt had put in to develop such a lovely razor. The blade feel is just far too forward from what I remember and I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It sits nicely on display on my desk and every now and then I pick it up just to enjoy the feel of the handle.
What issues you mean specifically? I’ve forgotten about the internal spring moving, I just use it with no issue. I swapped one due to the red dot being way off but that’s just aesthetic. One corner of the safety bar was a tad sharp and the knurling wasn’t even but I’m not too fussed.

I think generally, other than the specifics of head geometry and all else being equal, what’s the defining trait all adjustables should have? For me it’s usability throughout its whole range without compromise on geometry. (Shaving nicely is a given for any razor)

It seems to me that Zamak gets a bad rap and there seems to be lots of misinformation about them. I have razors, like the Futur, that I’ve been using for years and they show no signs of breaking and most likely will outlive me. With a zamak razor, you rinse the razor when done shaving and put it away. A stainless steel razor needs to be wiped and dried thoroughly else the base plate and head start showing tea stains (even on marine grade steel). I have had the Futur for thirty years and occasionally use it to hammer nails with it and it’s showing no signs of slowing down.

It seems to me that Zamak gets a bad rap and there seems to be lots of misinformation about them. I have razors, like the Futur, that I’ve been using for years and they show no signs of breaking and most likely will outlive me. With a zamak razor, you rinse the razor when done shaving and put it away. A stainless steel razor needs to be wiped and dried thoroughly else the base plate and head start showing tea stains (even on marine grade steel). I have had the Futur for thirty years and occasionally use it to hammer nails with it and it’s showing no signs of slowing down.

I agree!
I had a progress from the 90's which was in perfect shape! I stupidly sold it when i got into "premium" SS razors.

I own both the Rex as well as the Mergress. I must say that I NEVER reach for the REX, and the Mergress gets a whole lot more use. Of course in terms of adjustables, I have a handful, including Vikings Blade Crusader, Yintal's Bronze Adjustable, Mergress, Rex Ambassador and Tatara's Muramasa. The Muramasa is by far the sweetest adjustable I have used, and not just because it cost me my left kidney. Being able to dial in the EXPOSURE means that the cut can be as soft and gentle or as efficient as I want it. I would happily rank this as the near holy grail of adjustable razors. If only it was able to be even more aggressive, I can throw my entire collection of razors away. At it's max, I would only call it a mid-aggression razor, not much more so than the Lupo 95.

The Yintal simply wasn't any better than the Mergress, which I think is a nice second adjustable or the Viking's Blade Crusader. I found the crusader to be a very nicely manufactured razor with very good heft. It was my first safety razor to boot, and is nice and middle of the road kind of razor.

The Rex was simply too harsh for my liking. in terms of engineering it's a beautiful piece and that's why I have kept it. But it isn't a comfortable razor for me to use. (Usual disclaimer YMMV etc etc). Funny, cos I actually love moderately aggressive razors and have zero problems with my R41, Timeless Bronze Open Comb, Timeless SLIM open comb etc.

My only advise to anyone looking to buy the Ambassador is to get one on loan to see if you like it before biting the bullet on it.