Review Oristo Stealth DLC razor

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
This is my review of the Oristo Stealth razor, which is available via stashedandfound.com

Packaging:
I really like the packaging. It's a nice, sturdy cardboard box with a nice print of the Oristo razor family.
In the box, you will find the complete razor along with two tucks of DE blades (Astra and Shark).

There's no foam insert but more the folds of the cardboard internals hold everything in place.
Not that it's a big deal, but I'd really like to see all DE razors being shipped in small packaging which can also double as a travel case/tin.

Razor Aesthetics:
The razor is SEXY! Plain and simple! The jet black, DLC coating is just awesome to look at and it is visually very pleasing. My wife thinks it's the best razor she's seen!
The handle is a very nice length, not too heavy and not light either. It's very well balanced as a whole and the handle shape is also very ergonomic in practice.
I am a fan of slightly thicker handles with a bit of heft (70g to 90g for the handle is my preferred weight). The Oristo razor as a whole is not very hefty but then, I can expect it to be made just for me. The weight will be enjoyed by the majority I would think.

Razor performance:
Oristo is a very smooth shaving razor! I would classify it as mild. I don't like comparing razors head to head as it's not just the weight but the entire engineering of the head geometry/blade gap/cutting angle. For me, I would say the Oristo is capable of giving BBS shaves for up to medium-heavy growth. As my growth is a bit more on the heavier side (although no steel wire!), the Oristo did struggle a little to get me to BBS, but I was definitely able to achieve DFS with 2 passes plus touch-ups (more touch-ups than my Progress and Rockwell).

Comfort wise, it's actually a very comfortable razor to use. At first, I thought it was too mild but as I kept using it, I realised it's just very smooth as opposed to being too mild (e.g. like a Gillette Blue Tip, which is just too mild to give me anything beyond an SAS).

The DLC coating is a coating that literally makes a difference in the shaving process. I thought it might just be a gimmick but it literally makes the razor glide on the face. To test this, I made a very thick lather, where my other razors would struggle a little to glide through it but the Oristo's DLC ensured every stroke was smooth as butta'!!!

Summary:
If Oristo (or any 3 piece razor) adopted the plate system like Rockwell, then basically any razor could become a one-stop-shop. Never-the-less, Oristo is a great razor that will satisfy the majority of users with its striking looks, smooth shaving and ultra glide (Stealth DLC model). The only exception IMO would be people at the heavy growth end of the spectrum.

Congrats to Oristo for a successful funding campaign. Clearly, this company has their thinking caps on and I look forward to more innovative designs in the future.

Great review @nav1!

One point to note though is the design is not as innovative as one would think. The razor is a knock off of the Razorock Black Mamba.....

I believe @Nightguard is correct.
Italian barber contracted the makers of oristo for the black mamba.

Depends who you talk too. Stashed and Found are said to be the machine shop that made the Black Mamba.

I believe @Nightguard is correct.
Italian barber contracted the makers of oristo for the black mamba.
I was not aware that they were the original manufacturers but have to admit that I wondered if that was the case.

Whether they originally made it for IB or have created clone really doesn't matter base upon the feedback I am hearing about it and have heard about the Black Mamba I am sure it is a great razor. Are those prices on their site in CAD$ or USD$?

I was not aware that they were the original manufacturers but have to admit that I wondered if that was the case.

Whether they originally made it for IB or have created clone really doesn't matter base upon the feedback I am hearing about it and have heard about the Black Mamba I am sure it is a great razor. Are those prices on their site in CAD$ or USD$?

CAD$.

The price puts this razor in the Above The Tie price range,and way above the Rockwell price..a very bold ,optomistic or maybe stupid move.
I would find it hard to justify this expenditure on a still relatively unknown product.