Review Oskar Citrus

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
15823680_10206377453673658_7983646321655143651_n.jpg

Well a small plastic foaming tub can only mean one thing. Oh yessiree The Saint Nicholas of Shaving, our own @SydBJW "The Sudsman" has been. This time I had the pleasure of trying something simply tagged "Oskar Citrus" - so I have to assume we are talking this stuff here. To be honest I've never had a Finnish number on my face so this was going to be a first for me.

Well right from the load things were no-nonsense. Lather started to build on the tips and more was going on a little deeper in the knot. And beyond what the eyes could see there was a very distinct sharp citrus scent. Brendan knows how I love my citrus and so I was happy here, very happy. If I had a qualm it would be that there was a slight synthetic edge to the high note dry, but when wet this settled down nicely and a slightly more woody basenote kicked in. Lather builds thick and so I can see within a minute you'd have something ready for the DE. But the straight demands a little less body and a little more wetness and the Oskar's dialled in quite well and maintained its structure very nicely. Glide and protection with the straight was spot on. I also liked that, unlike The Blessed Fat for example, that there was some grip to the skin in the wake of a pass (for the uninitated this comes in handy for stretching the skin as you go). I did note that post full-face application that the moustache area - usually the last swipes of my pass there was a slight drying out. Not flat dry like Caties Bubbles (eekkk) but just a little less structure. But the glide was still there. And I must note the lather on the brush stayed as full as when first whipped.

Immediate post-shave face-feel was very pleasant, not as slick as The Blessed Fat which negates any need for balm, but a nice even soft smoothness. The scent and feel at shave's end married really well with the Faena Citrus Aftershave Lotion.

P.S., 30 minutes later and my face is feeling absolutely perfect.

All in all a great shave.

Sounds wonderful!

There are a couple of Razor Master soap samples already in the kit for the next Paste & Cut Travelling box ...

15823680_10206377453673658_7983646321655143651_n.jpg

Well a small plastic foaming tub can only mean one thing. Oh yessiree The Saint Nicholas of Shaving, our own @SydBJW "The Sudsman" has been. This time I had the pleasure of trying something simply tagged "Oskar Citrus" - so I have to assume we are talking this stuff here. To be honest I've never had a Finnish number on my face so this was going to be a first for me.

Well right from the load things were no-nonsense. Lather started to build on the tips and more was going on a little deeper in the knot. And beyond what the eyes could see there was a very distinct sharp citrus scent. Brendan knows how I love my citrus and so I was happy here, very happy. If I had a qualm it would be that there was a slight synthetic edge to the high note dry, but when wet this settled down nicely and a slightly more woody basenote kicked in. Lather builds thick and so I can see within a minute you'd have something ready for the DE. But the straight demands a little less body and a little more wetness and the Oskar's dialled in quite well and maintained its structure very nicely. Glide and protection with the straight was spot on. I also liked that, unlike The Blessed Fat for example, that there was some grip to the skin in the wake of a pass (for the uninitated this comes in handy for stretching the skin as you go). I did note that post full-face application that the moustache area - usually the last swipes of my pass there was a slight drying out. Not flat dry like Caties Bubbles (eekkk) but just a little less structure. But the glide was still there. And I must note the lather on the brush stayed as full as when first whipped.

Immediate post-shave face-feel was very pleasant, not as slick as The Blessed Fat which negates any need for balm, but a nice even soft smoothness. The scent and feel at shave's end married really well with the Faena Citrus Aftershave Lotion.

P.S., 30 minutes later and my face is feeling absolutely perfect.

All in all a great shave.

You linked to the right soap.

Glad you enjoyed @stillshunter

Good to hear of another European soap of goodness out there. I think Fitjar was the only other Finnish soap I knew about (it had stopped making shaving soap due to EU regulations but has since returned to making them again).

Sounds wonderful!

There are a couple of Razor Master soap samples already in the kit for the next Paste & Cut Travelling box ...

That's a miracle box that is!!!

@stillshunter is that a duck I see? nice. Was looking for one but gave up as the good ones are expensive

Last edited by a moderator:
@stillshunter is that a duck I see? nice. Was looking for one but gave up as the good ones are expensive
Indeed it is sir. And a Gold Edge which is one of my faves of theirs.

Table your offer mate. Every man has his price

Good to hear of another European soap of goodness out there. I think Fitjar was the only other Finnish soap I knew about (it had stopped making shaving soap due to EU regulations but has since returned to making them again).

That's a miracle box that is!!!

I have the Razor Master Toivo, and it is very good indeed. Wonderful face feel, and that masculine pine tar scent.......