Oumo Brush - Gluing knots and prep

Bicep123

bksaCyv.jpg

BZmkZGU.jpg

zFYhumH.jpg

bv5FNh3.jpg

1ynsG2w.jpg

dqGbbjT.jpg

So, I purchased my Oumo synthetics separate because Oumo doesn't sell complete synthetic brushes. They can glue the knots for you if you request it, but I was glad I didn't because I found the handle cavities to be a bit deeper than I thought. Lifted the knots up a little using washers. With the motherlode knot, it being so soft, I had to choose between good splay but less backbone or poor splay but better backbone. I chose the former and lifted the loft by a couple of mm. I'm going to let them cure for 72 hours before trying them out.

With the two badgers, I did a test lather on my palm with my cheapest soap. Surprising, not a lot of badger funk from these, unlike my Yaqi badgers. The cheaper hook knot was the real surprise. Lathered much better than the Manchuria and the tips felt more "gelly." Will give them both a proper face lather when dry to try them out on a real shave.

A very timely post as I am waiting on some synthetic knots to arrive and wasn't too sure whether to use washers, silicone or resin when setting the knots?
Congrats for a great job and many thanks for sharing your work! (y)

What is the loft height you set on the motherload knot?

qQcjJrG.jpg

Around 55mm off a 26mm diameter knot. Same loft height as my Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. Without the washers, it would be about 51mm. Way too short and "scrubby" for a synth. I thought about splitting the different with one washer and I may just pull it out and reset it down the line (only used a few small dabs of silicone adhesive). But I get good splay with this loft height, and I don't expect the motherlode to have the kind of backbone you would get from a plisson. We'll see how it lathers in a couple of days.

qQcjJrG.jpg

Around 55mm off a 26mm diameter knot. Same loft height as my Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. Without the washers, it would be about 51mm. Way too short and "scrubby" for a synth. I thought about splitting the different with one washer and I may just pull it out and reset it down the line (only used a few small dabs of silicone adhesive). But I get good splay with this loft height, and I don't expect the motherlode to have the kind of backbone you would get from a plisson. We'll see how it lathers in a couple of days.

Speaking from experience with the motherload knot, you may find reducing the loft height a little will increase the firmness on the knot. This knot in particular is very soft, and feels great on the face. I like your silicon idea. Makes it so much easier for those that like to DIY with knot replacements.

So update...

oK7N0ep.jpg

4FkYlmw.jpg

4kb72ML.jpg

zjn9o5B.jpg

wpntgtM.jpg

Shaved with the motherlode knot, it did lack a lot of backbone, even less than the timberwolf. Surprised to find that the motherlode isn't just the timberwolf in different colours, it really is a different fibre. The tips may feel like a timberwolf, but the fibres draw in water like no other synthetic I've tried yet. Lather literally spills off the puck while loading. I'll have to remember to squeeze out more water before putting it to soap.

So, I did think of the possibility that water may get trapped in the donut hole of the washer and may cause corrosion problems in the future. Imagine my surprise when I pulled the motherlode knot out of the handle (silicon only needs a hard tug to pull out, making resetting the knot a breeze compared to epoxy - and yet the hold is firm enough that I can't imagine the act of lathering on the face would cause the knot to pull out any time soon) and found the centre of the washers to be bone dry. And that's after I immersed the brush up to the handle in water.

I did buy some nylon washers (Bunnings again) this time round. The good thing about them is I can cut them to size to fit any handle and not have to worry about them corroding in the future. I cut them in half and created a little channel for water to flow out of it easier. Might be tricky if you dry your brushes standing up, but I always dry my brushes standing down. These nylon washers are slightly thicker than the metal ones. Took Rhodes96's advice and set the motherlode knot with only one washer, bringing the loft size down to 53mm. It's actually made a bit of a difference. As you can see in the photo, the splay of the knot off the handle is a touch more narrow in the 53mm vs the 55mm. Feels like more backbone too. Will give it another shave in 3 days time once the silicone cures.

Also, bonus pic:

6yqbAbQ.jpg

These permastik brush holders are $6.95 for a 2 pack at Bunnings. You do have to mod them a little to fit a thicker brush handle - you need to cut the rubber strapping behind it, or the holder will spit the handle onto the floor. Good little cheapie to dry my brushes upside down. I'm fast running out of holders for all of them.

Shaved with the motherlode knot, it did lack a lot of backbone, even less than the timberwolf. Surprised to find that the motherlode isn't just the timberwolf in different colours, it really is a different fibre.

Took Rhodes96's advice and set the motherlode knot with only one washer, bringing the loft size down to 53mm. It's actually made a bit of a difference. As you can see in the photo, the splay of the knot off the handle is a touch more narrow in the 53mm vs the 55mm. Feels like more backbone too. Will give it another shave in 3 days time once the silicone cures.

At 52/53mm that should be pretty spot on for a 26mm knot. The backbone is necessary for good lathering properties. This is a great knot for face lathering, I have a feeling you will really enjoy it.(y)

Mine was set at 50mm for the 30mm knot, actually measures in at 51mm.

My advice given to me came from Scott @ Colorado Razor Designs who sets
alot of these motherload knots in his handles.

Mine was set at 50mm for the 30mm knot, actually measures in at 51mm.

My advice given to me came from Scott @ Colorado Razor Designs who sets
alot of these motherload knots in his handles.

I did a quick test fit with no washer and just double sided tape. The loft was set at around 50mm, but I found it too 'chubby'. My 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf was set at 55mm, so naturally thought that was the proper loft. Should finish curing in a few days, will give it a go soon!

Update:

So found out that the "channel" I created just ended up making a reservoir of extra water that drips down my hands while face lathering, so that went. Reglued the TH with a new uncut nylon washer. Problem solved.

The motherlode, I figured, might as well try it with no washers and fit it directly to the handle. Loft height came out at 51mm (which is actually what Oumo recommends). I found it too restricting in the splay, actually. Will give it a couple more shaves, but I'm thinking to just go back to 53mm. The tightness of the knot shows when compared to my other synths, it looks smaller than my 24mm tuxedo, even though it's a 26mm knot. Also, never realised how big the 26mm Plisson from Maggards is. The loft is set at a massive 58mm, makes it feel even bigger than the Yaqi set 28mm tuxedo that I own.

From left to right: 24mm tuxedo, 26mm motherlode, 26mm timberwolf, 26mm plisson (Maggards set loft), 28mm tuxedo.

PBMywIv.jpg

YPA7p8v.jpg

@Bicep123 thank you. I'm really interested in your process so this is so informative. Also have been using cheap arse silicone to set my knots over epoxy. As you can adjust and remove them with a bit of effort.
Never had a motherlode and have the same listed or similar knots you put forward. The Timberwolf is just just too damn soft for me. So suspecting from your comments the Motherlode is going to be way too soft like a silvertip badger. The boss and tuxedo are where I'm at and was reminded again by this when I used a plisson knot I got off @borked. Great synthetic knot but my tastes have changed and will again.

Looking forward to the next installment.

the Timberwolf is just just too damn soft for me. So suspecting from your comments the Motherlode is going to be way too soft like a silvertip badger.

Motherlode is way softer than the Timberwolf. It's velvet soft. Soft as a plush mink coat. However, unlike the Timberwolf, whose fibres are similar in thickness to the Tuxedo, the Motherlode fibres are more finer and the knot itself had to be made more dense to compensate. Because of that, it will draw much more water when soaked and will bloom much more proto-lather when loading, especially if you load using the Marco Method (fully soaked brush load). You have to squeeze out most of the water and for firmer soaps, expect to add to the loading time an extra 10 or so seconds.

For reference, the TH is the slightest touch more softer than the Timberwolf, but acts like a SHD plisson with gelly tips (as much gelly as a synth can do), better spring and flowthrough. There's no one brush to rule them all though, I do reach for the TH more often than my other synths, on the days I don't feel like badger.