P&C Cycling Chatter

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Finally jumped back on the bike after 3 weekends of busy with family.

3.6km into it, popped the back tyre. 3.6km to push it home. At least I got something of a ride in before the Antarctic Vortex hit (literally in the last 15 minutes).

Speaking of cyclists, what do fellow cyclists think of beard sporting yuppies, wearing Sunday best upon a Saturday afternoon, on a fixie, meandering along with almost nil effort upon a main road, whilst making nil effort to enable people to pass him easily ?
Fair game or game on ??

Not really OT @borked.

As a rider and a motorist, I'd be yelling at him on either wheels. If you are going to ride on the road - ride. The one word that gets me angry - MEANDER.

As Sir @Monsta_AU will know, I've been busy all "summer" so far (it hit 27°C here one day - still out in it, decried by the locals who all seemed to suddenly become Spanish & take a siesta).

Hilariously I was chatting to a workmate in Johannesburg & he was complaining about the cold snap there - down to 11°C - midsummer day here was 9°C...

Speaking of cyclists, what do fellow cyclists think of beard sporting yuppies, wearing Sunday best upon a Saturday afternoon, on a fixie, meandering along with almost nil effort upon a main road, whilst making nil effort to enable people to pass him easily ?
Fair game or game on ??
If that floats his boat, good for him. If he baulks the traffic flow some ned/chav/hoon will collect him soon enough. Darwinism in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Sir @Monsta_AU will know, I've been busy all "summer" so far (it hit 27°C here one day - still out in it, decried by the locals who all seemed to suddenly become Spanish & take a siesta).

Yes, I saw the Londoners passing out at a mere 30°C and thought "Call me when it hits 40°C, and then we will chat". Paris was at least hitting 35-36 and that's respectable.

Hilariously I was chatting to a workmate in Johannesburg & he was complaining about the cold snap there - down to 11°C - midsummer day here was 9°C...
Puts it into perspective. Other side of the coin, the Russians up in Siberia often have -50°C in winter. Makes the rest of us look like pussies. But yes,

If that floats his boat, good for him. If he baulks the traffic flow some ned/chav/hoon will collect him soon enough. Darwinism in action.
Yeah, better way to look at it. Still, it makes for a higher level of aggro on the roads from motorists generally when you have idiots out there doing this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Anyone ever had an inner tube just 'go'? Man what a bang that was - just riding along minding my own business when I hear a rifle shot from behind and I'm suddenly on the rim lol

That after I'd come out for my daily ride and discovered a snapped spoke, so ride replaced with a quick jaunt (by car) to the local time shop to procure a spoke and replace it. Must have either nicked or nipped the tube when putting the tyre back.

I have had that before, pinched tubes & small bits of metal that aren't removed, maybe an embedded thorn in the tyre?

Purely pinched I'm 99.99% sure - there was no puncture associated with the spoke snap (snapped hub end elbow off) that required the tyre & tube removal and the tear/shredding associated with the bang was along the moulding line of the tube.

As per management instructions new wheels ordered [emoji2]

unnamed_1.jpg