PAA Cube "Sweating"

itsonlybarney

Hi Everyone, I have a question for those who use the PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soaps.

I can't work out if I have done something wrong, I have received a bad block, or this is just normal. I've used my PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap less than a handful of times in the last fortnight, I let it air dry after each use, but it feels continually wet and soapy. It's almost like it is continually "sweating". Is this normal?

I've added the best photo I can take of it.

PAA_Cube20.jpg

TL;DR: it's normal, glycerin pulls moisture from the air to the soap

So the cube itself isn't losing moisture, it actually attracting it to its surface from a humid environment, i.e. your bathroom, and is called Soap Sweat / Glycerin Dew. While it is odd to look at, it is not harmful to the soap. Basically, the glycerin in the PAA Cube is a humectant and will make the soap draw moisture out of the air and to the surface of the soap (makes the soap hygroscopic), leaving it with a layer of "dew" across the surface :)

TL;DR: it's normal, glycerin pulls moisture from the air to the soap

So the cube itself isn't losing moisture, it actually attracting it to its surface from a humid environment, i.e. your bathroom, and is called Soap Sweat / Glycerin Dew. While it is odd to look at, it is not harmful to the soap. Basically, the glycerin in the PAA Cube is a humectant and will make the soap draw moisture out of the air and to the surface of the soap (makes the soap hygroscopic), leaving it with a layer of "dew" across the surface :)
As an owner of various PAA pre-shave soaps I can confirm that @Wilkshire13 is correct as the Glycerin soap will develop a layer of dew that looks/feels strange. Perfectly normal and doesn't take away from the performance.

I guess one way to cut down that sweating (if it bothers you, I know it would bug me) might be to store it in an airtight container with a bag or three of silica gel. You would probably have to refresh the latter in the oven or microwave from time to time when it can't take any more moisture.

Clearly 300+mm of rain in a few days leaves a lot of moisture in the air for the glycerin.

Still works as intended, just slippery as slime.

:D

Yes it does!
Whilst no longer a round shape, my Prickly Pear Pre-shave bar is showing some wear and tear but still works a treat!
IMG-20210322-222002.jpg

I guess one way to cut down that sweating (if it bothers you, I know it would bug me) might be to store it in an airtight container with a bag or three of silica gel. You would probably have to refresh the latter in the oven or microwave from time to time when it can't take any more moisture.
Just cling wrap it ;)