Pb Camphorwood Rocker

Pbgoose

sv7DSGxl.jpg

The inspirational starting point for this project was Fennel essential oil. The way forward wasn't clear so I just played with the scent palette and was quite surprised at the result. When I put the test scent together I must've sat for half an hour just soaking up the scent as it seemed familiar but I couldn't initially place it. It seemed reminiscent of somewhere comfortable and happy, thinking of holiday destinations and various places we had visited. It finally clicked that it reminded me of camphorwood and the associated pleasantness conjoured the picture of a camphorwood rocking chair. I had purchased a cross section of camphorwood tree to make a coffee table back in the 1990's (still haven't finished it) and the sweet resinous scent of the camphorwood is beautiful.

As often is the case with these projects the translation of test scent to shave soap is not always successful but even before that I was showing the scent to a number of friends and associates and the scent was failing to impress, let alone create the same associations for them as for me. The most common response was 'aniseed' and 'don't like it'. I possibly should have jumped ship then but the association for me was persistent and the scent kept drawing me back so I decided to go ahead and make the soap to see whether it would develop some potential.

My initial reaction to the soap once made was dissapointment, it just didn't have the punch of the test scent and had taken on a slight doughy note even though I had been carefull to avoid base oils that I knew had more significant effects on scent profiles than others (like hemp and argan oils). I will live with the soap a while to let it settle and work out what modifications might benefit. I wouldn't say my scent strengths are mild but I'm considering turning up the volume on this one and maybe add camphor essential oil. I didn't consider that necessary with the test scent as it was already quite punchy. The aim is to retain the camphor airiness of the Rosemary, with the distinct sharpness of the Fennel in the background. The Cedarwood and Sandalwood provide a hint of woodiness with the Copaiba and Myrrh providing resinous depth.

Otherwise the base worked nicely providing a rich creamy lather which shaved really well. Not sure whether Camphorwood Rocker has a future but I usually learn something from each project so hopefully it's not a total loss.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Tallow (beef), Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Emu Oil, Apricot Kernal Oil, Kokum Butter, Jojoba Oil, Glycerine, Tussah Silk, Kaolin Clay, KOH, NaOH, Filtered Water (RO), essential oils.
Essential Oils: Fennel, Kunzea, Palo Santo, Palmarosa, Spikenard, Fir Needle, Rosemary, Holy Basil, Petitgrain, Copaiba, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Cardamon, Lemon, Cedarwood, Juniper, Vetiver, Patchouli.

Cool background story!

I'm one of those people that loves aniseed, black licorice etc.

Squadron soap Dutch resistance is a pure aniseed scent and I enjoy it a lot!

Don't think it'll appeal to the masses though.

Cool background story!

I'm one of those people that loves aniseed, black licorice etc.

Squadron soap Dutch resistance is a pure aniseed scent and I enjoy it a lot!

Don't think it'll appeal to the masses though.

I don't think this smells like aniseed, hence it's name, but I can understand why others have defaulted to the aniseed association. I also like aniseed but it's not a scent I'd buy a soap on (at this stage anyway). At least you wouldn't be stuck for an AS. Just grab a bottle of Mythe Absinthe.

I don't think this smells like aniseed, hence it's name, but I can understand why others have defaulted to the aniseed association. I also like aniseed but it's not a scent I'd buy a soap on (at this stage anyway). At least you wouldn't be stuck for an AS. Just grab a bottle of Mythe Absinthe.

Haha
Yeah, good AS choice!

I love aniseed soap but I can imagine how wonderful it may be in a blend!

I like your approach of pushing natural/EO scents beyond traditional blends!