Pb Drachenblut

Pbgoose

1ylKCNAl.jpg

I've had it on my mind to do a Dragon's Blood scent and my daughter is doing a dragon's head sculpture for her Yr12 major art work so it seemed like a good time¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I really like PAA's Sangre de Drago so that is really my only source of inspiration. Dragon's Blood resin is available on the web but it is not, as I understand it, the source of the commonly recognised scent, though I'm not sure how much variance there would be in Dragon's Blood scents. I think the easiest way to obtain the scent is to purchase fragrance oil but I wanted to attempt something with essential oils. There are plenty of suggestions on the internet for ingredients but not much in the way of recipes so it was just a matter of having a play and seeing what I could put together.

I think I got in the ballpark but this iteration is still very much an 'interpretation'. I'll happily use Sangre de Drago as the aftershave for this soap. There's a lot going on in the scent so it may take a while to settle. Of course the Tamanu and Hemp oils in the base also have influenced the scent. I think it's evident it comes from the same stable as Red Dwarf, Henry and 35.1.

I used a tweaked version of the Pb Myrrlin base and changed the KOH/NaOH ratio to arrive at a soft soap rather than the paste consistency of Myrrlin. I used Mediterranean Red Clay to provide the colour. I have ordered some Dragon's Blood resin so I can try further iterations with it, if for nothing else, colour, but hopefully also for beneficial skin properties and maybe some input from the resinous scent.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Tallow (Beef), Tamanu Oil, Avocado Oil, Hemp Oil, Kokum Butter, Lanolin, Shea Butter, Filtered Water (RO), Glycerine, KOH, NaOH, Tussah Silk, Mediterranean Red Clay, Essential Oils.
Essential Oils: Myrrh, Frankincense, Labdanum, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Blood Orange, Rose, Vanilla, Patchouli, Black Pepper, Cedarwood, Clove, Grapefruit, Cade, Jasmine, Vetiver, White Birch.

how much variance there would be in Dragon's Blood scents
First time I encountered something called Dragon's Blood was an Essential Oils dealer at the Renaissance Faire near Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The name was intriguing but I don't recall the scent. I asked what it was made from and got pulled aside to hear the whispered, "That's just the dregs of everything." It was also my first time purchasing Patchouli EO. Had no interest in Dragon's Blood since then assuming it wasn't "real".

So now I've googled and read but still don't know what it smells like. Is it more used as a colorant or do any of the various source plants have a collective correct scent?

Wow, the colour of the soap looks awesome!

Dragon's blood is a scent I have reacted to in the past as I react to just about every "incense" type scent.

Tamanu AND hemp oils in the base...you must look like you're in your twenties!!

First time I encountered something called Dragon's Blood was an Essential Oils dealer at the Renaissance Faire near Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The name was intriguing but I don't recall the scent. I asked what it was made from and got pulled aside to hear the whispered, It was also my first time purchasing Patchouli EO. Had no interest in Dragon's Blood since then assuming it wasn't "real".

So now I've googled and read but still don't know what it smells like. Is it more used as a colorant or do any of the various source plants have a collective correct scent?

Your right, simply because of the mysticism surrounding the name it means many things which don't necessarily relate to a specific scent. I think as a modern scent it does refer to a recognisable scent as much as Bay Rum can include a large number of interpretations.

I don't have enough experience with it to point you in a specific direction re: identifying the 'true' scent and I don't think I could write a description specific enough to describe the scent well apart from sweet and resinous. Pb Drachenblut, as I said is very much an 'interpretation' and probably a loose one at that, but to me it relates enough to PAA's Sangre de Drago to make me happy.

One of the compounds called Dragon's Blood is a natural resin extracted from the Croton lechleri (or Sangre de Grado) tree found in the Peruvian rainforest. My understanding is it is used mostly for colouring in cosmetic applications but it also has theuraputic properties for skin. I've ordered some to try and will include it in the next iteration of 'Pb Drachenblut' to see if it has anything to add for colour and scent. I don't know whether the various historical sources of 'Dragon's Blood' were representative of the scent and whether they influenced what is now recognised as the scent.

Wow, the colour of the soap looks awesome!

Dragon's blood is a scent I have reacted to in the past as I react to just about every "incense" type scent.

Tamanu AND hemp oils in the base...you must look like you're in your twenties!!

Have the incense type scents been fragrance oils or essential oil based, acknowledging that you do react to some essential oils?

Ha ha, you're a parent now. There's no continuing to look young with that status.:LOL:

Have the incense type scents been fragrance oils or essential oil based, acknowledging that you do react to some essential oils?

Ha ha, you're a parent now. There's no continuing to look young with that status.:LOL:

LOL yah, I see in my mirror many years have added on...in the last 5 months!

I don't know of the shaver heaven was fragrance or essential oils or a mix but I do react to many essential oils like clove and cinnamon.