Pears soap (and adding Hemp oil).

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Guys, I know some of you/partners are into soap making.
Do you know if I can melt Pears soap (microwave?) so that I can add Hemp oil to it?
Hemp oil is said to be good for itchy/dry/scratchy skin and that's what I have now.
Old age maybe? Chemical damage ex Vietnam war maybe?
Not looking to shave with the Pears. Just for washing in the shower with it.
I could just buy a soap mould, 'heat & pour' soap base, Hemp oil to add to it...and make my own.
But I quite like Pears soap after reading about it on here.
Both Missus and I like it. It is a very nice, soft sudsy feeling soap.
Any thoughts?

You cannot buy a suitable soap?
Yes, but we both like Pears soap now!
I can buy a Hemp soap here but seems to be from wee homecrafty (hippy?) places out in the sticks.
Aussie soaps no use as the shipping kills it now.
I'd like to try just adding Hemp oil to Pears soap. Might be a win/win.
On another matter...hard to find a proper Coal Tar soap too.
The good old Wrights Coal Tar soap is dead and gone. Just a plastic parody is all they sell now.
Have just today bought some 'proper' stuff from a wee homecrafty (hippy?) place...but they don't have a Hemp soap.

Yes, but we both like Pears soap now!
I can buy a Hemp soap here but seems to be from wee homecrafty (hippy?) places out in the sticks.
Aussie soaps no use as the shipping kills it now.
I'd like to try just adding Hemp oil to Pears soap. Might be a win/win.
On another matter...hard to find a proper Coal Tar soap too.
The good old Wrights Coal Tar soap is dead and gone. Just a plastic parody is all they sell now.
Have just today bought some 'proper' stuff from a wee homecrafty (hippy?) place...but they don't have a Hemp soap.

Yes you can microwave Pears soap, just go easy though, you only want to soften it, not bring it to a boil.

You won't ever get proper coal tar soap again, on the count of coal tar actually being quite nasty. Kind of like when cocaine was removed from Coca Cola.

Last edited:
You can definitely add hemp oil to pears soap.

Hemp oil is great for the skin with its high linoleic and linolenic fatty acids.

Add some jojoba oil in the mix and you should have a soap that really nourishes the skin.

If you're expecting Pears' soap to be at all like a coal tar soap, you'll be disappointed. It's a tallow soap with glycerine, with some nice woodsy and herbal scents. I used it as my only shaving soap for decades, and it works just fine. So long as you don't need unnecessary cushion, that is. I see no problem with adding hemp seed oil or any other nostrum you like, it should work with just about anything.

... The good old Wrights Coal Tar soap is dead and gone. Just a plastic parody is all they sell now. ...
Now in my mid-70s, I readily recall Wright's Coal Tar Soap at my grandparents home about 65 years or so ago. If memory serves it was oval in shape, brown in colour but semi-translucent and with the word "Wright's" as a logo pressed into the product.
About 2 years or so ago, I came across it while browsing in the local chemist and purchased a bar to revive memories of my younger days. It smelled similar but barely worked up a lather!

Now in my mid-70s, I readily recall Wright's Coal Tar Soap at my grandparents home about 65 years or so ago. If memory serves it was oval in shape, brown in colour but semi-translucent and with the word "Wright's" as a logo pressed into the product.
About 2 years or so ago, I came across it while browsing in the local chemist and purchased a bar to revive memories of my younger days. It smelled similar but barely worked up a lather!
Yes, another good thing 'reformulated' to a shadow of it's original self.
I have found some hippy soaps! Yay...and they are making a new brew of Hemp oil soap too.
I'll give that a go for sure. If it's no good maybe I can dry it out and smoke it!

Yes, another good thing 'reformulated' to a shadow of it's original self.
I have found some hippy soaps! Yay...and they are making a new brew of Hemp oil soap too.
I'll give that a go for sure. If it's no good maybe I can dry it out and smoke it!

Beware “New Improved”