Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK, I'll admit up front that I may be over thinking this ...

Today I used in my SOTD -

Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' balm
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' splash

Some days, when I'm really lashing out I might use a EDC or EDP as well, but this is not a regular occurrence. I know for some others around here the use of multiple post shave products is pretty common.

This morning then after my shave I rinsed off my face, cold water, towelled dry and applied the balm. After packing the balm away I got out the splash and applied it, not too long after the balm. Both were applied to my face and neck. If I had added a EDC or EDP I would have applied it to neck/upper chest a few minutes after the splash and immediately before dressing.

My questions for those who regularly use multiple post shave products is simply what is your routine? Is there a reason for applying products in a certain way? Should you wait before applying the splash and EDC/EDP? Any other important things I'm missing?

Over to you guys ...

Alum- If required
Rinse
Pat dry
Splash
Balm- If I am feeling balmy
I am at a point now where I can have a shave with no weepers but for me post-shave can change a bit depending on how harsh the shave was. I am not at the point in my shaving "career" where shaves are consistent. Sometimes I have a brain fart and my skin lets me know about it then it's all stops, occasionally I will balm multiple times. There are also times where I apply splash multiple times, but usually that's because I just like the smell. I rarely EDT/EDP after a shave because I usually shave at night before bed but most days I spray something on before work. It helps to mask the smell of dead animals. :LOL:

These days I only re-lather with the soap I shaved with and then cold rinse - my skin has never been better whether it's zits or irritation. If I want to smell pretty then I will use an EdT/EdC.

Back when I used product though it was either a (low-scented) balm (usually) or a (low scented) splash - a shave and/or the weather either calls for one or the other IMO. I don't understand the idea of using both? If you want a scent to last all day then and EdT/EdC/EdP is what is required. I like to keep the skin care requirement separate to the scent requirement.

OK, I'll admit up front that I may be over thinking this ...

Today I used in my SOTD -

Aftershave Balm: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' balm
Aftershave Splash: Australian Private Reserve 'Un côtelette de porc' splash

Some days, when I'm really lashing out I might use a EDC or EDP as well, but this is not a regular occurrence. I know for some others around here the use of multiple post shave products is pretty common.

This morning then after my shave I rinsed off my face, cold water, towelled dry and applied the balm. After packing the balm away I got out the splash and applied it, not too long after the balm. Both were applied to my face and neck. If I had added a EDC or EDP I would have applied it to neck/upper chest a few minutes after the splash and immediately before dressing.

My questions for those who regularly use multiple post shave products is simply what is your routine? Is there a reason for applying products in a certain way? Should you wait before applying the splash and EDC/EDP? Any other important things I'm missing?

Over to you guys ...

You're over thinking it. I've been through the exact same thing. In the end I decided I only need one post shave product and that is a good splash. So it's rinse, pat sort-of-dry, apply splash liberally.

Now, in winter I do get dry skin so I add a basic balm after the splash. If I do, I tend to go back and splash again just as I leave the house. Makes the scent last longer. I don't apply balm first because all the good stuff is in the splash.

Normally I shave at nighttime an hour before bed when I'm not going out at all.
1. A very good cold water rinse
2. Gently pat dry
3. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent or Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner and to let this dry while I cleanup my shaving gear
4. Aftershave Splash or Aftershave Balm
5. No fragrance.

IF I'm going out for work, dinner, club or Lodge and I need a normal shave or a quick shave depending on which shaving soap I used.
1. A very good cold water rinse
2. Gently pat dry
3. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent and to let this dry while I cleanup my shaving gear
4. Aftershave Splash with very low fragrance or unscented and let this dry while I'm getting ready.
5. I only apply my fragrance on my chest and also on the back of my neck before I head out the front door
6. Happy Days :happy:
m0126.gif

Last edited:
You're over thinking it. I've been through the exact same thing. In the end I decided I only need one post shave product and that is a good splash. So it's rinse, pat sort-of-dry, apply splash liberally.

Now, in winter I do get dry skin so I add a basic balm after the splash. If I do, I tend to go back and splash again just as I leave the house. Makes the scent last longer. I don't apply balm first because all the good stuff is in the splash.

Pretty much this if I use both balm and splash.

I have been wondering about whether to apply a balm then a splash, I kind of thought they should be used independently of each other, maybe the splash would counteract the balm. I tried Myrsol Emulsion and then PAA CAD splash but the alum in the CAD reacted with the emulsion so I never really tried other products. Might try it out again with different products

Anyway I tend to follow:

1. Cold water rinse
2. Alum or Myrsol Metilsol
3. Clean up my gear while above dries
4. Apply liberally A/S splash to suit my mood

:) Have you heard the expression too much information :eek:

I only apply my fragrance on my chest and also on the back of my neck before I head out the front door

What did they use as a brainwash in the cold war -- Metho !! that should do it :)

After cold water rinse, I always use Thayers Super Medicated, followed by either a balm or splash, depending on weather (cold and dry = balm, hot and sticky = splash). I might use an EDT or EDP on chest/back of neck if it goes with my splash/balm.

Do water and A/S splash count as multiple items?
Or am I going to have to include my post shave poo as part of my routine?

Pretty sure I'm over doing it too...

Cold water rinse
Alum
Clean brush
Cold rinse
Emu oil (on damp face with damp hands)
Allow to dry
Splash
Balm (if I've had a bad shave)

This is one I do scratch my head over when reading through the SOTD thread some days. I don't understand when one uses a soap that has a scent, then puts a scented balm on, then a splash then a cologne *when they are all different brands and scent profiles*. Why?? Imagine smelling that guy walk past you in the office.

Reactions: JVS