Post Shave Routines

This is one I do scratch my head over when reading through the SOTD thread some days. I don't understand when one uses a soap that has a scent, then puts a scented balm on, then a splash then a cologne *when they are all different brands and scent profiles*. Why?? Imagine smelling that guy walk past you in the office.

That is called layering and is a common technique used in perfume. If done well it smells fantastic, the trick is getting the fragrances to compliment each other and not use fragrances with excessive sillage. It relies on the dry-down of the various fragrances being known so you get different notes and accords throughout the day :)

My post shave routine:
Warm water rinse in Autumn/Winter and Cool/Cold in spring summer
Aftershave
Balm/Salve
EDT/EDP - Not and never applied to the face.

I don't use alum or extra oils, rather I select my balms and salves based on their contents to begin with - A good aftershave balm or salve should contain a number of compounds in the correct amounts, some people choose to use 'extras' however and that can be a good thing, it's about knowing your skin type, what the products you have contain and when and what times of the year to use them based on your skin condition imho.

I put the balm/salve on top of the aftershave as they generally contain glycerine or other fixitives that assist with the fragrance lasting longer and I have dumped all my 'just alcohol and fragrance' aftershaves as they contain way to much alcohol for my skin and dry it out. I demand my aftershaves meet the line of being halfway between aftershave and toner these days and there are a lot on the market that now do this particularly from the artisans.

Just FYI the APR aftershaves sit at just under 50% alcohol now which is more than enough to keep the oils I use for my fragrances in solution, but not so much as to dry the living heck out of your skin. I did this as I want to be able to apply them directly to my skin (and make room for the other beneficial compounds) prior to applying a balm/salve and therefore prolonging the fragrance.

That is called layering and is a common technique used in perfume. If done well it smells fantastic, the trick is getting the fragrances to compliment each other and not use fragrances with excessive sillage. It relies on the dry-down of the various fragrances being known so you get different notes and accords throughout the day :)

My post shave routine:
Aftershave
Balm/Salve

I don't use alum or extra oils, rather I select my balms and salves based on their contents to begin with - A good aftershave balm or salve should contain a number of compounds in the correct amounts, some people choose to use 'extras' however and that can be a good thing, it's about knowing your skin type, what the products you have contain and when and what times of the year to use them based on your skin condition imho.

I put the balm/salve on top of the aftershave as they generally contain glycerine or other fixitives that assist with the fragrance lasting longer and I have dumped all my 'just alcohol and fragrance' aftershaves as they contain way to much alcohol for my skin and dry it out. I demand my aftershaves meet the line of being halfway between aftershave and toner these days and there are a lot on the market that now do this particularly from the artisans.

Just FYI the APR aftershaves sit at just under 50% alcohol now which is more than enough to keep the oils I use for my fragrances in solution, but not so much as to dry the living heck out of your skin. I did this as I want to be able to apply them directly to my skin (and make room for the other beneficial compounds) prior to applying a balm/salve and therefore prolonging the fragrance.
Excellent post. Thank you.

No offense @SpeedyPC - just the visual image of you half naked splashing product on your chest and neck. I didn't sleep well last night and normally don't dream :)

I have this re-occuring dream about you trying to clean your ears and let's just say it's you and the straight razor only in the dream ;)

My post shave routine:
Aftershave
Balm/Salve

Mayybe its just me and my amature nose. i just feel like you would smell like you dropped a few bottles of perfume on yourslef. I can just use some B&M soaps and have the scent last 6 hours.

Mayybe its just me and my amature nose. i just feel like you would smell like you dropped a few bottles of perfume on yourslef. I can just use some B&M soaps and have the scent last 6 hours.

It's about personal preference, most people (myself included) wear just an aftershave and occasionally an EDP.

Huh! My old man splashed metho on his face all his life! I occasionally contemplated going into the bathroom with a box of matches :whistle: while he was shaving! :p

So did mine! Back in Italy he used to use pure ethanol, which you could just buy off the shelf. He was annoyed upon coming to Oz that he could only buy it adulterated with methanol... he said paying for anything more was just a waste of money and made you smell like a girl. He always used a Braun electric razor and never had any skin issues despite shaving every day. Having said that, I only ever had success with one of those if I shaved every day too - it just couldn't handle my longer stubble, which is why I eventually ditched it.

I guess he just loved to "Feel the Burn"!

Mine you, if 50% is the right alcohol content, I might start eyeing off some of my cheaper blended whiskies.... or maybe a bourbon. Having said that, for a smoky, peaty scent, Laphroaig would still be cheaper than Proraso per litre - might have to give it a go!

The father of a friend of mine is 95 and shaves with a Gillette daily and always finishes with a metho splash. His skin is terrific. I use a metho splash occasionally to keep an eye on my progress with the straight. I only find it drying if the skin is dry. Done wet I have no problem.

Metho is good, its an old army trick for keeping the mange away. Great on the face and even better between the toes and around the crotch to keep the skid rot away, does tend to sting like buggery on open wounds.
Face first before toes and crotch though. Bit of a tip for young players.

I wonder if "modern" metho with the bitter additive would have any adverse reaction with the face?

Pure Isopropyl is available at the chemist but not certain how similar they are?

I remember after washing my face as a teenager, I had the idea of using metho on cotton wool to give my face a clear appearance. It didn't work, but remember the amount of dirt it cleaned out was noticeable even after a wash.

No offense @SpeedyPC - just the visual image of you half naked splashing product on your chest and neck. I didn't sleep well last night and normally don't dream :)

@bald as have you been drinking too much whisky again or have you been drinking your Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum again :smuggrin:(y);)

I wonder if "modern" metho with the bitter additive would have any adverse reaction with the face?

Pure Isopropyl is available at the chemist but not certain how similar they are?

Very different substances but with overlapping uses. Both can be used as solvents, for sterilisation etc but behave in different ways. Metho is just ethanol with added methanol as a poison plus other "bitter" agents to make it unusable for consumption - it only exists to provide a form of ethanol that can't be consumed but still used for other purposes, thereby evading alcohol taxes. Isopropyl is a completely different form of alcohol but still an alcohol nevertheless... just don't try to drink it as the body metabolises it into acetone.

Isopropyl is a completely different form of alcohol but still an alcohol nevertheless... just don't try to drink it as the body metabolises it into acetone.

Neither that or home distilled spirits are on my drinking list.

Fascinating and informative posts guys - thanks!