Post Shave Routines

Only if you apply the results to your face with maybe a little behind the ears and back of the neck. Just don't be surprised @eggbert if people (probably including Mrs Bert and baby Bert) refer to you as a right shithead. :)

Are you sure this not in the garage drying to combine with some epoxy and make a line of brush handles, pens, etc to ...

Last edited:
  • Squeeze excess soap from brush and apply to face
  • Cold water rinse
  • Gentle pat dry
  • Myrsol Emulsion
  • A/S splash a couple of hours later
I tried alum for a few months, but now only use it if I have a nick.
If I go anywhere near my face with alcohol immediately after shaving, I get nasty red irritation.
I use my aftershave splashes later on, and also at other times to freshen up.

Neither that or home distilled spirits are on my drinking list.
nothing wrong with home made spirits. with the right gear know how and patience you can make something better than you can buy from the bottleshop for way less money.

I thought I would leave this here as a useful guide as it's fairly accurate, obviously environmental factors (heat and humidity) the individual (do you sweat a lot) and the compounds in the actual fragrance will effect the actual duration the fragrance endures, but as a general guide it's rather good :)
UnTZmAj.jpg

Hmm..maybe I should call my Aftershaves EDT's and my EDP's just P's :p

I thought I would leave this here as a useful guide as it's fairly accurate, obviously environmental factors (heat and humidity) the individual (do you sweat a lot) and the compounds in the actual fragrance will effect the actual duration the fragrance endures, but as a general guide it's rather good :)
UnTZmAj.jpg

That is REALLY helpful!

Thanks mate

I must say too that I've learnt a lot from this thread. Thanks all

UnTZmAj.jpg

Just out of curiousity, is going over 30% bad. This thread has really piqued my interest in this sort of thing now.

UnTZmAj.jpg

Thanks @todras - very useful. But presumably you are meant to apply a smaller volume of the product as the concentration increases - so wouldn't the "total" amount of fragrance accord be similar (e.g. if you use 10times the volume of EDC - wouldn't this be the same as 1 volume of EDP)?

While the scent master is away (and I hope I don't make a complete fool of myself):
Just out of curiousity, is going over 30% bad. This thread has really piqued my interest in this sort of thing now.
I assume, that because of the toxicity of many of the EO's/FO's they would then be classified as toxins :D
You would definitely get skin irritations etc from them...

Thanks @todras - very useful. But presumably you are meant to apply a smaller volume of the product as the concentration increases - so wouldn't the "total" amount of fragrance accord be similar (e.g. if you use 10times the volume of EDC - wouldn't this be the same as 1 volume of EDP)?
True, but the concentrated ones also dissipate less. Don't forget, that they are dissolved in alcohol...

Just out of curiousity, is going over 30% bad

Potentially very toxic, it all depends on what you have in your solution. Commercial perfumes follow IFRA guidelines, in most cases the toxic substances are being replaced with aroma chemicals for this reason but some however cannot be. A perfume at 30% is blindingly strong by the way, there is no reason to apply or even make a perfume at a higher concentration.

I assume, that because of the toxicity of many of the EO's/FO's they would then be classified as toxins :D
You would definitely get skin irritations etc from them...

Yes this exactly, in addition to the IFRA guidelines (which are based around sensitivity and ultimately toxicity).

But presumably you are meant to apply a smaller volume of the product as the concentration increases - so wouldn't the "total" amount of fragrance accord be similar (e.g. if you use 10times the volume of EDC - wouldn't this be the same as 1 volume of EDP)?

True, but the concentrated ones also dissipate less. Don't forget, that they are dissolved in alcohol...

Question answered really. The minute you put solutions into alcohol the evaporation rate rises exponentially and the fixitives are diluted as a result, so you have a combined effect at work. the exact rates depend on the oil volatility in the solution obviously.

Last edited:
For me it is:

Cold water rinse
Styptic pencil if required.
Cold water re-rinse
Aftershave
Swear, if styptic pencil was required
More aftershave

My aftershave typically matches the soap, so the scent carries over. In my case, Bay Rum.

I wonder if "modern" metho with the bitter additive would have any adverse reaction with the face?

Pure Isopropyl is available at the chemist but not certain how similar they are?
They aren't. However most metho today is 96/98% ethyl alcohol and believe it or not the rest is water. Methanol is added as you know to denature/adulterate it. Most companies don't actually add it as it costs more.
However I would not drink it as they do add it when available or cost are low but rarely. Though for the face why not as if it could contain <2% methanol it won't hurt.

But if you like vanilla and I know we all do and this was a secret teenage trick. Fridge wipe, food grade ethanol with vanilla added. So pure ethanol and vanilla. Don't share that with teenagers and coke otherwise that too will be removed off the shelves.

For me it's;
Cold water

Alum

More cold water

Tiny amount of Aftershave

Depending on UV index, light facial moisturiser with an SPF 30

Fragrance.