Pre shave prep - Important or not?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
I have always had tough whiskers and sensitive skin [I'm a wimp]
Using a normal safety razor I could get by with a quick face wash then lather and go but with my straight razor shave I get the best results when I face wash then hot towel and then the shave is wonderful.
Without adequate prep I can either get a less than stellar shave with associated slight discomfort or a good shave but a face that feels as if it has not been treated well for a couple of hours after.

For me the jury is still out on preshave creams and oils so your comments on your own experiences using them would be interesting. Can you rate a particular product you have used and give it an increase of decreased shave score? What did it bring to or take away from the shave?

This discussion may be useful to those new to wet shaving.

Good preparation with a high glycerine and lanolin soap is the cornerstone of my shaves. After trying several soaps over a number of months I have settled on Valobra.

Truthfully, a nice hot shower is probably all the pre-shave prep I need, but where's the fun in that?
My favourite is the Proraso green pre/post cream. I rate it highly both for the cooling post-shave feel and for helping get a comfortable shave.

Besides that, there are some oils that I use before my shave (I do like the Mickey Lee pre-shave butter) on occasion. They do help with residual slip when I need to clean up without relathering, but they also make cleaning up the sink a bit tougher.

I also like the Proraso Single Edge pre-shave creams, but that's more for the scent than efficacy.

Good preparation with a high glycerine and lanolin soap is the cornerstone of my shaves. After trying several soaps over a number of months I have settled on Valobra.
How do you generally use it. Wash face then lather/shave? Which brand do you use? I want a Preshave but don’t generally have the time for a hot towel.

I have tried several brands of pre shave products and can say that for me ,they are a total waste of money.
Hot towels, shower before, I have tried them all with no discernible improvement in the final outcome.
For me a quality soap, rinse off, followed by the lather thence the shave, all is good

I have sensitive skin, hot towel and pre shave oil helps minimises skin irritation. So, yes it works for me.

Truthfully, a nice hot shower is probably all the pre-shave prep I need, but where's the fun in that?
My favourite is the Proraso green pre/post cream. I rate it highly both for the cooling post-shave feel and for helping get a comfortable shave.

Besides that, there are some oils that I use before my shave (I do like the Mickey Lee pre-shave butter) on occasion. They do help with residual slip when I need to clean up without relathering, but they also make cleaning up the sink a bit tougher.

I also like the Proraso Single Edge pre-shave creams, but that's more for the scent than efficacy.

I got the same one, swore by it in the beginning but haven’t used it for a while, trying to appreciate the soaps alone.. will have to revisit now that technique has improved and report back