Printer cartridges

David7307

My printer has just run out off ink and when i go looking for new cartridges for it $60 i can buy a new printer for $49,
Now i have heard that the cartridges that come with the printer are not fully filled,
Also is refilling them any good, or does it stuff up the printer,
Thanks

Inkjet @David7307 ?

Funny you should post here BTW. The whole Gillette business model was not based around razors, originally called simply 'blade holders' but around sales of blades. The razors and the changes in them was largely a basis for keeping patent protection alive and selling more and more blades - still the business model in the cartridge age.

Printers have moved to the same approach. 'Starter' cartridges in both inkjet and laser printers have a fraction of the ink/toner of full ones, often 1/5th, so you buy the printer cheaply and then but cartridges. So check out the expected life of the $60 new cartridge and the $49 new printer - the cartridge may be better value OR it may not. Usually the higher up the food chain you go the better the per page cost BTW.

I buy a cheap lazer printer ($50-70) and buy a few lazer replacement cartridges (non-proprietary) that each last me thousands of pages. That's all B&W not colour. The inkjet printers are a fortune in comparison. Any colour printing is simply done at officeworks or the like for far cheaper (& better quality) than if I owned an inkjet.
My 2c

Inkjet @David7307 ?

Funny you should post here BTW. The whole Gillette business model was not based around razors, originally called simply 'blade holders' but around sales of blades. The razors and the changes in them was largely a basis for keeping patent protection alive and selling more and more blades - still the business model in the cartridge age.

Printers have moved to the same approach.

This - it's the cart model. Basically, the printer model is, the cheaper the printer, the higher the running costs over its life - ie higher cost carts with less ink in them. I've paid for our $200 many times over already as a full refuel of carts in $125, but we run a home business and it gets worked.

If occasional printing needs you can get by with a cheap inkjet or office work to do it. If you have higher volume needs, then the 'ink tank' models sold by Epson are the most economical. $25 pure ink refills that last up to 2 years with general home office use use.

I buy a cheap lazer printer ($50-70) and buy a few lazer replacement cartridges (non-proprietary) that each last me thousands of pages. That's all B&W not colour. The inkjet printers are a fortune in comparison. Any colour printing is simply done at officeworks or the like for far cheaper (& better quality) than if I owned an inkjet.
My 2c
Absolutely this (y) - although mine is a ~125$ model, as it also scans and copies...

Absolutely this (y) - although mine is a ~125$ model, as it also scans and copies...

I use my $1k smartphone for scanning... [emoji23]