PROBABLE FAKE BLADES: Thai Gillette Super Stainless, Yellow & Red with hologram

Do you think these blades are fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Spotted some of these on eBay recently - hideously expensive at USD$40 per 100 and USD$18 postage. Not a blade I am familiar with, but having tried the Thai Gillette Superthins previously which were pretty good, these had my attention immediately. The packaging is fairly eyecatching:

Fake_Gillette_Super_Stainless_1.jpg

So far, so good. Follows the 'double-split' packaging that we get from the Indian Blacks. Then I started looking a bit closer to the remaining photos:

Fake_Gillette_Super_Stainless_2.jpg

Fake_Gillette_Super_Stainless_3.jpg

Fake_Gillette_Super_Stainless_4.jpg

Oh dear.

It seems as it RunWei Blade is at it again, we already know they are producing bad fakes of the Chinese Blue Blades that are usually made in the Gillette Joint Venture factory in Shanghai. Those FakeBlues seem to make their way to the West via eBay and DX, now it looks like they are also doing the same for these Thai Super Stainless. I am not even aware of these SuperStainless even being a real branding of Gillette Blades.

If you look closely at the second photo, you will notice the cardboard cracking along the folds of the box. Those that have been around Paste & Cut for a while will know that the fake Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus suffered from the same issues on the box, as did the Fakeidiums.

Also you see some non-sharp printing, and the box isn't made 'in Square' and it is not glued together properly either. All the hallmarks of the previously fake blades. Here's a pic of the Rubie's showing the delamination of the cardboard on the box folds:

Fake_Rubie_Star.png

And one of the Fakeidiums:

Fake_Iridiums_5.jpg

There are a number of sellers of these on eBay, I would steer clear of them all for ANY purchase. All originate from Thailand and are selling them at anything from USD$58 - USD$70 per 100 blades on a delivered basis.

It is a shame but I am posting this information in the hope that no P&C members get caught out by purchasing these blades. The pricing is crazily high, and even more so when you consider that great blades like PermaSharp Supers and Silver Blues are in plentiful supply and at much cheaper rates than what the asking price is on these.

90dollarblades.png

These abominations have now hit as high as $90 delivered per 100 on eBay via a number of Thai sellers.

Considering what we can buy quality vintage blades for these days, this seems a little absurd. So I posted a new blog post on them in the hope that nobody buys them.

On the other hand, if it feeds a few more people in some poor Asian country and the only people getting stung are a few shaving tragics, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not sure what the supposed attraction is to those blades anyhow. Are they pretending to be some sort of NOS Spoiler or something?

I don't think so, just the good name of both the old Thai Superthins and the 'Super Stainless' moniker.

It still isn't clear if this is an actual Gillette Branding, or something just concocted for the Thai market by RunWei. You will note the 'Hologram' similar to the one on the Chinese 'Super Blue' blades, of which there are also knockoffs from RunWei also. The fake Chinese Blues are also horrible to shave with according to users YKW.

I have not seen these blades in an official communication by Gillette which makes me very cautious about the overall branding itself.

Well the poll was very clear - these are fake - will have to stick with vintage blades to be safe IMHO