Putting Pinaud Clubman Variants into Glass

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
After reading on several Boards that the Clubman range of aftershaves benefit from storage in glass, I took the plunge.
I am delighted with the results.

6uCXSjT.jpg

oMnBrzK.jpg

Nicely done sir!

What are the containers that you used @TomG ?

Got it. From your other thread they are / were Myrsol bottles. They look great. I have been thinking of using a 100ml glass whisky bottle for mine.

I would really like to know how you managed to get the contents into the bottle (as I presume that the original container had one of those flow restriction things blocking access) Funnel? pipette?

Also interested to know how you managed to do the artwork

It looks really nice. Great setup.

Last edited:
If you have no Myrsol bottles, does anyone have any idea where you can source similar sized bottles with that 'flow restrictor' thing fitted? I'd also like to know how you did the artwork @TomG. I have a maple syrup bottle which looks the part but no restrictor fitted.

@bernie01 You can buy the flow restrictors on eBay or on Aliexpress (assuming you have the patience to wait the 99 years that it takes for them to be delivered on that slow boat from China :( )

Just put > glass bottle orifice reducer < into the search bar on ebay or > orifice reducer < into the search bar on Etsy and you will find them. There is someone on Etsy that sells them in a pack of different sizes so you can try them out to make sure you are getting the correct size for your particular bottles before you order them in bulk.

The only problem with Etsy is that the postage is horrific.

If you have no Myrsol bottles, does anyone have any idea where you can source similar sized bottles with that 'flow restrictor' thing fitted?

I'm planning on using small whisky bottles. The ones that are approx 100ml - 150ml in size. In fact, many of the commercial aftershaves that i have from artisan shave companies look as if they have used pretty much the same shape bottles

You can actually order them from aliexpress brand new in smaller bulk quantities ie 1 dozen lots of empty bottles reasonably cheaply

Then I will get a sample pack of restrictors from Etsy, work out the best size for my bottles and then order a larger quantity when I know that I have the exact one. It's a few weeks away, but it's on the list!

Just have to figure out how to do the labels

Last edited:
What are the containers that you used @TomG ?

Got it. From your other thread they are / were Myrsol bottles. They look great. I have been thinking of using a 100ml glass whisky bottle for mine.

I would really like to know how you managed to get the contents into the bottle (as I presume that the original container had one of those flow restriction things blocking access) Funnel? pipette?

Also interested to know how you managed to do the artwork

It looks really nice. Great setup.
G'day @AussieTanker - apologies for tardy reply, and thank you for your kind words.

I bought pretty much the entire Myrsol range a few years back when O/S retailers could still ship alcohol-based products. About half I really like; the others are slowly are being re-used as I finish them, as you have seen. To fill the bottles, I firstly triple rinse them and allow to completely dry. I then add the new contents via a syringe, which easily passes into the plastic flow restrictor oriface.

I actually go through a couple of bottles of Myrsol Emulsion each year, but this product does not have flow restrictor. In this case, I rely on the old fashioned "thumb over the hole" trick to restrict the flow. I'd love to find out where you can buy such flow restrictors, and the method of insertion, as they are devilishly hard to remove.

Regarding the labels, I use the Open Source software GIMP to generate the images, ensuring that the dimensions fit the shape of the bottle. I then print the images onto waterproof labels (about a dollar per A4 sheet; 4-8 labels per sheet), cut them to shape, and affix to the bottle. If you are doing this, make sure that completely remove the old lable and glue residue. I remove what I can by carefully peeling, then apply Orange oil, which does 99% of the job. I will give a quick scour with detergent, rinse well and dry, and finally a quick rub over with a cotton wool ball soaked in IPA. The IPA flashes off in a minute or less, and you are good to go. This ensures good adhesion of the new label.

Feel free to PM me if you need further info.

Last edited:
@TomG : you can buy removal tools for the orifice reducers, eg: https://youroiltoolsaustralia.com/products/got-oils-orifice-remover

@AussieTanker : The maple syrup bottle I had hoped to use has an internal neck ID of 18.5mm, whereas most I have Googled up are 12mm or smaller. I would be interested to know if you get an 18mm reducer in the mixed bag you ordered.

A tip I read re removing labels was to fill the bottle with boiling water, let it sit for a short time, then pick it up with a cloth and carefully peel off the label. Worked pretty well for me., then tidied up with orange oil as Tom suggests.

Last edited:
@TomG : you can buy removal tools for the orifice reducers, eg: https://youroiltoolsaustralia.com/products/got-oils-orifice-remover

@AussieTanker : The maple syrup bottle I had hoped to use has an internal neck ID of 18.5mm, whereas most I have Googled up are 12mm or smaller. I would be interested to know if you get an 18mm reducer in the mixed bag you ordered.

A tip I read re removing labels was to fill the bottle with boiling water, let it sit for a short time, then pick it up with a cloth and carefully peel off the label. Worked pretty well for me., then tidied up with orange oil as Tom suggests.
Spot-on, Bernie. Sometimes you can be lucky and the label is cooperative, but the hot water soak (with a dash of dishwashing liquid) is almost always needed. The orange oil works remarkably well; I use a small
Cotton ball, and the glue residue is soon removed, leaving your bottle or container squeaky clean.

Clearly I will have to make the move when I finish my current bottle of special reserve!

Thanks for the tips, @bernie01 and @AussieTanker. I have ordered an orifice remover.
I have been trying to track down plastic orifice reducers for my Myrsol bottles without reducers (i.e. Myrsol Emulsion).
Most of the ads are for small bottles (2-10ml), and I am struggling to find information on orifice diameters to confirm that they will fit in the Myrsol bottle neck.
I measured the diameter of the Myrsol bottle flow reducer this evening, and have it at approx 14mm.
Does anyone have any intel on finding out the diameter measurements for the plastic orifice reducers available online?

Thanks,

TomG