Quality vintage straights on Ebay

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
If anyone is looking for vintage straights shave ready I can recommend Ron down in Victoria as a great restorer. They are professionally honed and beautifully restored and I've never got anything but quality from him. His prices are fair and if you keep an eye out something you like will come up. He's a great fella to deal with too.

Check out rspe7027

http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?sid=rspe7027&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

If anyone is looking for vintage straights shave ready I can recommend Ron down in Victoria as a great restorer. They are professionally honed and beautifully restored and I've never got anything but quality from him. His prices are fair and if you keep an eye out something you like will come up. He's a great fella to deal with too.

Check out rspe7027

http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?sid=rspe7027&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

Seconded. Prompt quick and has some nice unicorns at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has some nice stuff sure. Expensive IMHO though. But, ebay prices have been sliding up for 12 months or so now so maybe meeting the market, not a slight at him personally. $100 Bengal? No thanks.

Ron is good seller. Yes his stuff is a little pricey, but it will always be in good condition - very highly polished and mostly shave ready. I have had a few issues with hone wear, but it just means you need to check pics carefully. It's far less of a lottery than cheaper eBay finds (I have had some amazing success and some total junk).

He has some nice stuff sure. Expensive IMHO though. But, ebay prices have been sliding up for 12 months or so now so maybe meeting the market, not a slight at him personally. $100 Bengal? No thanks.

Well $100 for a polished up and honed bengal. Considering sending one to a professional honer = 40-60 bucks. Then not bad.

Well $100 for a polished up and honed bengal. Considering sending one to a professional honer = 40-60 bucks. Then not bad.
I agree.

My first straight I restored from junk and enjoyed it (had to get it honed) but I've bought a few too. not everyone wants to sand for hours, buy hones and learn to use them etc.

Price is always up to you, if it's too high then don't buy or send in an offer, but his feedback and comments is worth something for peace of mind.

If you are paying $40-60 for a hone, you need to find someone else to hone for you. I have only paid for a couple but each time it was $25 from one of the best. Personally, if I didn't hone my own, I would be sending it out to my preferred honemeister anyway. The fact it has been honed doesn't mean it has been done to my liking. But, I see your point. If you are agreeable to the edge it comes with, you have made a saving.

@Sxot don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Getting a piece of gold in the mud and clean it up to your liking is the best part of this hobby. But when you are starting out, a reasonable edge helps. And it's likely that I overspent but it was someone highly respected (not mark btw). And it came with a honing lesson which I thought was a good deal:)

I bought my first straight from rspe7027 as well.

The Wester Brothers blade that hates my face! Regardless, it always takes a nice hone, and is always the sharpest of the sharp trio.