Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
It can become a cliche ...

ruok-hero-ask-a-mate-1920x550.jpg

... and their 'poster boys' could do with a decent shave, but ...
41694405_10160991177815714_711165108687994880_o.jpg

I'm not sure if anybody here is particularly trained or qualified to help - but I am very conscious that over the years there has been a lot of very genuine care and support shown across the membership here, just mates helping mates and walking the [shaving] journey of life together.

So just putting it out there guys - are you OK? Serious question but not one you need to answer publicly. PM somebody here you think you can trust and I'm sure you will get a listening ear.

Don't do the difficult times alone - take care of yourselves.

Last edited:
Great thread idea - and as cringe-worthy as this day often is, mental health for guys is something that needs more proper attention, something for which we're often at fault ourselves for not opening up to loved ones about whatever we're dealing with in our lives.

Thing is, we're all qualified to ask about or inquire about the welfare of a friend/family member etc.
We've all experienced hardship, irrelevant where it sits upon the scale of shit, so to an extent, we're all able to relate.
Some qualifications in life are learned, not taught.

@OP No, yet here throws enough light to continue struggling from within the darkness towards the light... and no, I'd rather not discuss it, no desire to burden others with my encumbrances.
Yourself?

Thing is, we're all qualified to ask about or inquire about the welfare of a friend/family member etc.
We've all experienced hardship, irrelevant where it sits upon the scale of shit, so to an extent, we're all able to relate.
Some qualifications in life are learned, not taught.

@OP No, yet here throws enough light to continue struggling from within the darkness towards the light... and no, I'd rather not discuss it, no desire to burden others with my encumbrances.

Listening without an expectation to 'fix' is never a burden, but no expectation to discuss either. Just hang in there and don't forget to shout out if you need a hand.

Yourself?

Firstly, thanks for asking.

Honestly? I suppose I'd better be as the OP ...

My wife and I both realised earlier this year that neither of us are as connected as we were in Sydney despite being here in Canberra nearly 10 years now. That is partly a factor of our work (and for me the travel) and partly a Canberra thing. Over the time here I've had the four guys I would have consider my closest friends all move away from Canberra for work reasons for example.

Are there people far worse off? You bet, I'm really very blessed

Is life perfect? Nope, it is real

Am I OK? Yeah, real is fine, but I need to put in place some structures to provide more connection

Sorry for the oversharing :)

As from a personal point of view watch out for the black dog as it can sneak up on you, hopefully everyone has that one or more people in there lives that can just listen and talk to you in your time of need as I have and I am.

As from a personal point of view watch out for the black dog as it can sneak up on you, hopefully everyone has that one or more people in there lives that can just listen and talk to you in your time of need as I have and I am.
Black Dog day gets me a lot nearly everyday, that’s why is important to get help to combat depression and PTSD it’s a never ending issue. That’s why I have to learn to deal with this everyday.

Last edited:
That's good to hear and thank you for your service.
I’ve never served in the military, only my father served in Vietnam War. Too many Vietnam Veterans families who has been abused for more than 40 or 50 years are still struggling behind closed doors, and my darkest past I’m struggling to overcome with my personal issues with depression and PTSD.

I’ve never served in the military, only my father served in Vietnam War. Too many Vietnam Veterans families who has been abused for more than 40 or 50 years are still struggling behind closed doors, and my darkest past I’m struggling to overcome with my personal issues with depression and PTSD.
If you need to talk brother