Review Rapira Chrome

Korbz

Until last month, I had ignored the Rapira Chrome, writing it off as "probably" being like the Swedish and Super Stainless, which I am not a fan of. I'm putting up this review as I was wrong... so very wrong.

Summary - great blade now in my top 5, which are for reference (noting I have not tried vintage, nor would I add them for this comparison to currently available blades)
  1. Perma-sharp Super
  2. Rapira Chrome
  3. Gillette Rubie
  4. Voskhod
  5. Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Green)

54530fb9-b357-41fd-ac97-8857f994187e.jpg

Aesthetics - double wrapped and no glue/wax dots for those that care

Performance - Combining smoothness and sharpness for this category. What is sharp as a point of reference? Feather/Polsilver SI/GSB/Gillette Yellow. If they were 4.5 to 5/5 then the Chrome would be a 4/5 with Rubie and PSS. Smoothness I'd put it right up there as a 5/5, with Permasharp (which are the smoothest I've used). Lesser are Voskhod/Rubies/Ladas etc.

Value - Finding the effective life of these blades to be about 4 shaves. Now, for those that don't know me, I CBF trying to make a blade last that one or two extra shaves. If I can spend stupid amounts on soaps/balms & splashes/razors/brushes, why would I bother with a 1-5c blade to get an extra shave (worth $0.002-$0.01 to me). What is pleasing, is the performance straight out of the wrapping. They are just as good first shave, as they are 4th shave. You can pick up 100 of these bad boys for as little as $13 AUD delivered.

Closing - I really like these blades and will probably pick up a heap in the near future. I just can't fault them.

Nice write up.
What razors have you tried them in?
Do they work in all that you have tried or some better than others?

I agree a great blade. I received several samples with the purchase of another blade and really liked them I now have 300 on hand. One of my do to blades. Really great with my HD 500.