Razors one must try

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Well.

I have started to get ok results with my shaving. So am curious as to what razors I should try.

Due to the Kindness of others I have tried a few and there wasn’t much difference from my mergress. Now what do you think every novice wetshaver should have a go with?

Mergress is a great razor, and there won't be much better for shave performance. I’d be looking at different shave experiences. Above are great suggestions.

For de razors, I’d have a chat to a few of us here and see if you can have a go at some expensive gear before jumping in. That way you can determine if the shave is any better, or if you’re happy to pay for better materials and workmanship. Rockwell 6c would be a great travel razor and I really think the Karve is a good buy at the moment.

Have you tried any SE's? Colonial General, Razorock or other modern SE's. Alternatively vintage SE's such as GEM and Micromatics?
How harsh are they?
Feather Artist Club Kamisori.
I have a few straights, love them. Best shave ever but lack the time to do it properly. A de can be very short if needed a straight not much so.
Mergress is a great razor, and there won't be much better for shave performance. I’d be looking at different shave experiences. Above are great suggestions.

For de razors, I’d have a chat to a few of us here and see if you can have a go at some expensive gear before jumping in. That way you can determine if the shave is any better, or if you’re happy to pay for better materials and workmanship. Rockwell 6c would be a great travel razor and I really think the Karve is a good buy at the moment.

Nice idea. Will try. How do you think it compares to the 6s which is the other one on my radar atm

I have a few straights, love them. Best shave ever but lack the time to do it properly. A de can be very short if needed a straight not much so
I have straights too, Artist club is another kettle of fish- best shave available IMHO

After reading @Korbz SOTD on the Karve and looking it up, I am close to pulling the trigger. They look great.

I never hear anyone talk about the type of shaves the vintages give. Say the Fatboy or the Slim. Are they aggressive, mild?

After reading @Korbz SOTD on the Karve and looking it up, I am close to pulling the trigger. They look great.

I never hear anyone talk about the type of shaves the vintages give. Say the Fatboy or the Slim. Are they aggressive, mild?
Can be either mild to moderately agressive.
Very easy to get a great shave I recon

I got a fat boy. It’s nice, but didn’t rock my world. I like that I can clean the blade between shaves so they last longer.

How harsh are they?

I have a few straights, love them. Best shave ever but lack the time to do it properly. A de can be very short if needed a straight not much so.

Nice idea. Will try. How do you think it compares to the 6s which is the other one on my radar atm
The 6c or the Karve? The 6c I think is finished better and apparently has better glide. 6S looks like a workshop tool and will last as long no doubt. Great razor. The Karve is a totally different fish. Muuuuch better finish (machined by a professional vs. mim by third party). Takes mild yet effective shave to the next level. Slightly more expensive though. What I mean by that, razor with 2 plates sets you back about $170 delivered vs $140 for the 6S (and you get 6 plates). However I really only use 2 settings on the Rockwell (2 and 4) and can see similar with the Karve when dialled in.

I got a fat boy. It’s nice, but didn’t rock my world. I like that I can clean the blade between shaves so they last longer.
I think its what they represent for many folk more than the Razor itself.
Mine was a gift from a friend.
Some have their dads or grandfathers and so on..

The 6c or the Karve? The 6c I think is finished better and apparently has better glide. 6S looks like a workshop tool and will last as long no doubt. Great razor. The Karve is a totally different fish. Muuuuch better finish (machined by a professional vs. mim by third party). Takes mild yet effective shave to the next level. Slightly more expensive though. What I mean by that, razor with 2 plates sets you back about $170 delivered vs $140 for the 6S (and you get 6 plates). However I really only use 2 settings on the Rockwell (2 and 4) and can see similar with the Karve when dialled in.

So recommendation for first multi guard? I actually like the size of my XL so thinking the 6S May be too short?

I think its what they represent for many folk more than the Razor itself.
Mine was a gift from a friend.
Some have their dads or grandfathers and so on..

I am keeping mine for the heritage, and it’s not a bad razor just does not speak to me.

I am keeping mine for the heritage, and it’s not a bad razor just does not speak to me.
Yeah, they are kind of a staple of all collections.
Almost all my razors have a back story, from my Dads ball end tech, my buddies Fatboy (I had Dave replace it) through to my eclipse Red ring that was a gift from a pal.

It makes them just a bit more special.

OK so I was really into my Progress on 2-2.5 and enjoy currently the following:

Guerrilla - you should still be able to get one, buy just Emailing James and asking for one nicely
Above the Tie S1 - my current travel razor
others are a bit unobtanium, so I won't bother, except maybe the RazoRock Baby Smooth is very nice as well and a "lighter" version of the above...
also worth investigating: Feather AS-D2 - but only with a Feather blade

But if I had to pick one of those, I would have to say, that I enjoy the Guerrilla more and more...once you have the angle right, it gives you blissfully smooth and close shaves.

I am a fan of the Merkur Futur - for me, it just seems to have the momentum to glide through the whiskers effortlessly.
I also enjoy the ATT SE1 and Colonial General single edge razors.
For a milder shave, I'm with Alfie regarding the Feather AS-D2 and ATT S1 - super smooth and reasonably efficient.
And in the vintage line, I have a soft spot for the Gillette Slim and Wilkinson Sword "Sticky".

.... Now what do you think every novice wetshaver should have a go with?

Vintage razors. Lots of vintage razors!

Old Types have fans looking for an aggressive, take no prisoners shave.

The NEW is wonderful and very popular head on a handle of your choosing

British Aristocrats, in their rhodium goodness have stood the test of time

Adjustables, the iconic Fatboy, a Slim or even the Toggles if you are adventurous. Still going strong and the granddaddy of your Mergress

Even the humble Tech has a legion of fans

The Wilkinson Sticky that @TomG mentioned is also a favourite.

Where do you start ...