Re-scaling service.

Wolf

Hi all,

Need to get some new scales for a Henckels 7/8. Could just be repinning but I don't think the scales would survive. Anyone here provide or recommend such a service or a good place to get some scales for a diy job?(prefer to get it done properly though)

mrdu0N9.jpg
fjZvuPL.jpg
NaF80B7.jpg
kmeG7Y2.jpg
GGcHAyr.jpg

Blade could do with a little polish and there appears to be some discolouration on the blade (bluing?) but seems to be in good shape. I'm not sure if the blades survive repinning due to the crack at the hinge pin which is a shame because of the logo. Blade sticks out of the scales at the heel ever so slighty. Scales are not tight and tang touches scales when you open the razor. Blade appears to be straight however. So looking at light polish and rescaling most likely. I like some of the scales you have on your page Dion. Don't need anything too fancy. Just some acrylic scales with a (off) white wedge. I do like the 3 pins though. Perhaps you could pm me some indication of how much I might be in for. Thanks

Is it cracked or just bashed at the pivot
Some scale materials can last years with a crack but others fail with less damage
The scale inlay if a metal one can be transferred onto new scales if need be
The blade shouldn't need much to clean up the tarnish and hone

Looks like there could be somewhat of a crack. Depending on price I kind of like the idea of a slightly more modern jacket for my razor even if the old scales were salvageable. Did you want to give me an idea of a price range I'd be looking at?

had the pleasure to perform the re-scale on this beautiful 7/8" JA Henckels for @Wolf

Request:
replace original celluloid scales with horn in a design similar to a vintage W&B celebrated squarer scales

finished items:
Scales: Black horn taken to a 5000 grit hand sand
Wedge: Camel bone
Inlay: Original Dancing Twins transferred flush finish
Thrust washers: Original reclaimed copper
Washers: New brass vintage replica bulls eye's with stainless inner washers
Pins: Brass 1/16

Blade received a 5000 grit clean up of the tang to clean away pivot residues
full coating of renaissance wax to scales & blade and hand polish

honing:
The edge was taken from a Naniwa SS 1k with 600 grit slurry to clean water to set the bevel
with removal of minor chipping & rolled edge alone blade (possible stropping damage)
then progressed onto a Jnat progression
Polishing work was done a Uchigomoru Suita using a self-slurry through to clean water
Finished on a Nakayama Asagi using a self-slurry through to clean water finish
No further abrasives were used to finish this razor

some pics of the re-scale in progress & complete
design
1Gwh0Za.jpg

initial blank fit & check of shaping to blade
scales are still 5mm thick & square edged here
9f5GBU9.jpg

scales shaped to 1500 grit trying to show the grain in the horn in the sun
b17BrXm.jpg

determining wedge sizes
oEBbhMj.jpg

trial assembly with micro fasteners
OwgN2oh.jpg

SMOS0SC.jpg

positioning of inlay
I forgot to take pics of this stage
I use tape to boarder the inlay position & protect the scales
then draw around the inlay with marker
& remove all scale material with a 1mm Dremel bit until the inlay fits flush
using a piece of pinstripe tape to hold the inlay it is glued into position using a 2 part epoxy adhesive
this is the scary bit as the epoxy does not melt with acetone like the celluloid scale to remove it if a screw it up
left to cure for 2 days until nice & hard then sand of excess using 800 grit then back up to 5000 grit finish again
KIPfAbS.jpg

final assembly ready for honing
note the scale tails were also shortened
lHaFQmL.jpg

8FySFdC.jpg

IyHoBje.jpg

i9NtX7i.jpg

54gws5w.jpg

with original scales
pfpC0mj.jpg

honing
Jougjhy.jpg

playing in Nakayama mud
o6kKQvV.jpg

shave test
BNgjUIE.jpg

thanks for looking

I'm the very happy recipient of the razor. The original scales were loose and didnt seem to fit the razor. New ones suit the razor much better in my biased opinion. Haven't yet seen the final result in person but going on the photos, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Dion has been a pleasure to work with. Excellent communication throughout and very accommodating in achieving the look I wanted.