Recommend an aggressive razor

Camrux93

Looking at getting an aggressive razor. Something modern and easy to find on the market. My current shave den-
EJ DE89 Merkur34C Parker Variant,
Something that will give me BBS after 2-3 passes with no irritation. Current den is not aggressive enough for me.

Looking at getting an aggressive razor.
M%C3%9CHLE-R41-Open-Tooth-Comb-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor.png

Muhle R41 ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
all depends if you like blade feel or not and how much you want to spend. The R41 (for me) is a great razor, i love it and the blade feel that comes with it, so if you love blade feel and want something cheap to test your aggression comfort levels go
for it.

If you want to spend good money, on what is in my opinion the best razor out there go for a wolfman WR2 SB in 1.25. It has a little less aggression than the R41 but it is also so very smooth, this is the pinnacle of what i have experienced, but it isnt cheap and there is a waiting list atm. Previous to that this razor was unobtainable, or at the very best close to impossible to get.

If you want something between the R41 and the wolfman you can get either a timeless 95 SB or a little more aggression an OC or a Game Changer JAWS in SS. The Timeless will set you back a fair amount of $$ and the GC can be had for $120 delivered.

@holidays suggestion of the karve is a good one, it has many base plates you can play with to get the aggression levels you like, comes in both brass and SS. I would recommend plates D and/or E for aggression.

This is all i can recommend you from personal experience, but just so you know the jump from DE89 to R41 is quite a jump. If you want a milder jump, but still a decent bump up from the DE89 the SB game changer, the .84P is also a good choice.

@StratMan how does your Karve SB-E compare to JAWS, 9T5 and WR2?
I get a mild burn with medium efficiency similar to Blackland Dart

Looking at getting an aggressive razor. Something modern and easy to find on the market. My current shave den-
EJ DE89 Merkur34C Parker Variant,
Something that will give me BBS after 2-3 passes with no irritation. Current den is not aggressive enough for me.
Have you tried a Feather in the 34c

I'm loving my brass Karve OC-D, and going through the process of dialling it in via trialling a selection of blades. First I tried the Polsilver SI, and had some great shaves. Next was a Feather, and I could have taken my head off if I wasn't careful! Plenty'o aggression right there! After just one shave with the Feather I turned to a Nacet, and have just completed my 3rd DFS/approaching BBS so the Nacet and Polsilver are definitely going to be in my blade rotation. Next in line will be a Kai, with a little trepidation as my research rates it up there in Feather territory. After that I have some Personna (Israeli Red) to try. For a very reasonable price, a Karve CB with a couple of plates and a variety of blades should get you what you are after. It's got plenty of charisma in a quirky, quality artisan's tool like way too IMO!

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition.

Very inexpensive, efficient and you get both the open comb and the straight bar base plates.

The OC is a very efficient razor and much better than the R41 because the fatip has no blade chatter whereas the R41 is one chattering razor!

Other than that, I agree with the other suggestions for the Karve.

I know this option is not so popular these days, as it used to be, but what about an adjustable?

That way, you can find out your preferred level of aggression with just one razor and once you are sure about it, search for the perfect Wolfman gap :D

If you want really nice and stainless, I would recommend the REX, if you want budget (but still a great razor IMO) I would go with the Merkur Progress

If you want really nice and stainless, I would recommend the REX, if you want budget (but still a great razor IMO) I would go with the Merkur Progress
or Vintage Gillette adjustable depending on your age may be able to get a birth year razor to add a bit of nostalgia..

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition.
Very inexpensive, efficient and you get both the open comb and the straight bar base plates.

I've been eyeing off this razor for a while but have been turned off due to complaints of the black paint on the special edition peeling within a couple months, this image for example. Have read suggestions to just go with the chrome or nickel plating which holds up better. How are Fatip's holding up for folks here?

Yeah, its only a matter of time before mine ends up like that. It's a shame the finish let's it down because the black and gold is such a classic style.
CupILha.jpg

I've been eyeing off this razor for a while but have been turned off due to complaints of the black paint on the special edition peeling within a couple months, this image for example. Have read suggestions to just go with the chrome or nickel plating which holds up better. How are Fatip's holding up for folks here?

Yes, it's true about the finish.

I went in with that in mind and if the plating wears away, I won't be too disappointed as I'm already expecting it to happen.

But for like $40, it's really worth having as it's a great shaver!

No other sub-$60 can compete. Plus it's brass, not zamac underneath the plating. That was a big plus for the razor and another reason it wouldn't upset me too much if the plating wears away since it's brass, which will last forever!

Yeah, its only a matter of time before mine ends up like that. It's a shame the finish let's it down because the black and gold is such a classic style.
CupILha.jpg
That is a shame as they are a cool looking razor. Does it happen to the plain chrome ones as well? I haven't seen any damage on mine as yet.

I just sold a nickel plated Picollo.
Absolutely no plating issues.

Yes to the Piccolo. That gives you a cheap, more aggressive (but smooth) razor.
I just bunged on a spare R89 cap I had and then I was able to use any 'normal' handle.
Piccolo on the left with a Halo handle.
The Piccolo cap is identical to many razors (even an OLD or an Ikon cap).
Or...go for Gold! Choose the middle razor. Vintage Gillette NEW SC. Nice wee razor to use.