Recommend me a GEM style SE

Sxot

Artisan Producer
So I've got a GEM Star - which I do enjoy, but the size of the head is a little clumsy. I also have the Micromatic Clog Pruf which is a better design, but is probably too aggressive with the blades I have.

What would you recommend, that takes the GEM blades, which has a small head, but in between the two above razors in aggressiveness? Sure, this is a personal thing but if I can get some rough consensus to narrow my search that would be gladly received.

@Sxot I would suggest the G-bar (or Ebar British version) as an intermediate SE. The Clog Pruf is also milder than the MMOC which you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sxot I would suggest the G-bar (or Ebar British version) as an intermediate SE. The Clog Pruf is also milder than the MMOC which you have.

Lost me there. I have a Clog Pruf MM, it's not an OC.
So the MMOC, is more aggressive still? That's kind of shocking... maybe I need a milder blade, or better technique.

Lost me there. I have a Clog Pruf MM, it's not an OC.
So the MMOC, is more aggressive still? That's kind of shocking... maybe I need a milder blade, or better technique.

Sorry I thought you had the MMOC - this is the most aggressive of the GEMs.
Some people find the shaves are smoother from the 2nd or 3rd use on the Gem blades.

Sorry I thought you had the MMOC - this is the most aggressive of the GEMs.
Some people find the shaves are smoother from the 2nd or 3rd use on the Gem blades.

Oh cool.
I have loaded it with a blade with about 5 or 6 shaves on it. Will see how that goes. Just giving my face a chance to catch up before I go again.

I quite like the Ever-Ready E-Bar that @Mark1966 sent to me, I'm not sure what the blades are specifically that came with it (GEM markings on the cardboard blade edge) but I was surprised how well it delivers a thorough shave. I may even break it out tomorrow, it's a grand looking piece of kit too having a real old world and classic style to it that sits with me really well.

I quite like the Ever-Ready E-Bar that @Mark1966 sent to me, I'm not sure what the blades are specifically that came with it (GEM markings on the cardboard blade edge) but I was surprised how well it delivers a thorough shave. I may even break it out tomorrow, it's a grand looking piece of kit too having a real old world and classic style to it that sits with me really well.

The blades are the current GEMS from Connaught Shaving.

Glad you like it - different and, as you say, looks grand. Nice styling.

Gotta love that Art Deco inspired SE look...King Gillette probably just a better marketer!

Well, got these on the way.
Hopefully between the G-bar and the press button I will find something I like. The DE is by catch, not interested in that and the auto strop head I reckon can go into the bin.

s-l1600.jpg

Ditto - nice pickup @Sxot !